Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2022, 05:08 AM   #1
Wazowski

Default CIA Ranks

I've been trying to figure out the CIA hierarchy to build a Rank Table, but I cannot find enough useful information.

Have you got one?
Wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: CIA Ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazowski View Post
I've been trying to figure out the CIA hierarchy to build a Rank Table, but I cannot find enough useful information.
I have some pieces. CIA officers are paid on the GS pay scale, and they usually enter at GS-10 or GS-11. That's approximately equivalent to military rank O-2 (First Lieutenant), while GS-12 to GS-15 equate to O-3 (Captain) to O-6 (Colonel).

Qualifications for entry as an officer are a good bachelor's degree in a relevant subject, and there's a two-year training course before they actually start working at O-2 equivalent.

The point cost of CIA rank is probably less than military rank, because they don't have lots of people to order around. Social Engineering has rules for evaluating this.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Phantasm

For agencies like the CIA, there's two cases to consider: HQ and field agent.

For the HQ outside DC, I use Administrative Rank as-is, going by the number of subordinates.

For field agents, I use Social Engineering: Pulling Rank based not on subordinates but on the support they can get from the agency during the operations.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

I put this in the article for Pyramid Schemes 1 on the Phoenix Program during the Vietnam War:

Level Intelligence Rank, CIA
5 CIA Chief of Station
4 Project Manager, Senior Officer
3 Case Officer
2 Paramilitary Officer
1 Secretary
0 Security Officer, Admin Clerk

My reasoning was that is how the agency handled the postings at the district and province levels for the Phoenix Program.

I also created these packages of skills for 1960s-era CIA officers assigned to Phoenix.

Career Training Program (+6 points): The CIA’s 12-week basic training program for case officers at Camp Peary, Virginia. Administration (IQ/A) [1]; Expert Skill (Communism) (IQ/H) [1]; Intelligence Analysis (IQ/H) [2]; Research (IQ/A) [1]; Writing (IQ/A) [1].

Clandestine Services Training (+16 points): The CIA’s 18-week course in “advanced operational training” for case officers at Camp Peary. Acting (IQ/A) [1]; Detect Lies (Per/H) [1]; Diplomacy (IQ/H) [1]; Electronics Operation (Surveillance) (IQ/A) [1]; Fast-Talk (IQ/A) [1]; Filch (DX/A) [1]; Holdout (IQ/A) [1]; Guns (Pistol) (DX/E) [1]; Interrogation (IQ/A) [1]; Judo (DX/H) [1] or Karate (DX/H) [1]; Observation (Per/A) [2]; Photography (IQ/A) [1]; Shadowing (IQ/A) [1]; Stealth (DX/A) [1]; Urban Survival (Per/A) [1].
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #5
Wazowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I put this in the article for Pyramid Schemes 1 on the Phoenix Program during the Vietnam War:

5 CIA Chief of Station
3 Case Officer
2 Paramilitary Officer
1 Secretary

My reasoning was that is how the agency handled the postings at the district and province levels for the Phoenix Program.

I also created these packages of skills for 1960s-era CIA officers assigned to Phoenix.

Career Training Program (+6 points): The CIA’s 12-week basic training program for case officers at Camp Peary, Virginia. Administration (IQ/A) [1]; Expert Skill (Communism) (IQ/H) [1]; Intelligence Analysis (IQ/H) [2]; Research (IQ/A) [1]; Writing (IQ/A) [1].

Clandestine Services Training (+16 points): The CIA’s 18-week course in “advanced operational training” for case officers at Camp Peary. Acting (IQ/A) [1]; Detect Lies (Per/H) [1]; Diplomacy (IQ/H) [1]; Electronics Operation (Surveillance) (IQ/A) [1]; Fast-Talk (IQ/A) [1]; Filch (DX/A) [1]; Holdout (IQ/A) [1]; Guns (Pistol) (DX/E) [1]; Interrogation (IQ/A) [1]; Judo (DX/H) [1] or Karate (DX/H) [1]; Observation (Per/A) [2]; Photography (IQ/A) [1]; Shadowing (IQ/A) [1]; Stealth (DX/A) [1]; Urban Survival (Per/A) [1].
It looks amazing! Can I get a copy? I have been searching the store and I cannot find it. Have you got some for the FBI?
Old 08-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
Wazowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post

5 CIA Chief of Station
3 Case Officer
2 Paramilitary Officer
1 Secretary
Do these Ranks follow "The Arithmetic of Rank" p.14, social engineering, or may you provide a brief description of their chain of command, if there is any?
Old 08-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
It looks amazing! Can I get a copy? I have been searching the store and I cannot find it. Have you got some for the FBI?
No. Pyramid Scheme is only in Kickstarter right now as far as I understand it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:29 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
may you provide a brief description of their chain of command, if there is any?
The upper echelons would be something like:

7: President
6a: Director of National Intelligence
6b: CIA Director
5: Deputy Director (one for each directorate)

If you want spies, that's the Directorate of Operations. There's probably at least one more level between the DDO and a Chief of Station for SA Fisher's list (regions like "Asia" or "South America", I'd guess, but I don't actually know).

Wiki puts the number of (public) employees at 21,575, so Rank 7 for the Director by the "Arithmetic of..." chart in Social Engineering. That system isn't really compatible with the Ranks used elsewhere, though, where heads of state are typically 7, with 8 being god-emperor or more SFnal empires. But you're free to scale the ranks however you find suited for the game and setting -- and you can even use different scales for different sorts of rank, so "CIA Rank" might have more levels than just plain "Rank" -- which might call for a lower cost per level, since it should cost less to be the head of the CIA than the head of the USA -- and the CIA Rank 7 Director is still subordinate to the Rank 6 DNI. That gets a bit confusing, though. Probably better to expand them all to the biggest scale necessary than to use different scales.

My preference would just be to collapse rank levels (like I did with the 6a and 6b above), rather than try to give every level of an org chart its own number. Rank in most orgs often doesn't really rate a lot of CP, especially if there are a lot of levels, because even the big boss can't really just order anything done that they want just on a whim (see Social Engineering: Pulling Rank). If the costs for Rank get large, most players will just skip taking Rank in favor of more cost-effective traits. So, decide how important that Rank really is in your intended game. James Bond cares a lot less than Jack Ryan about their Rank, and Bond's Rank matters less to solving the problems his adventures present.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:25 AM   #9
Wazowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The upper echelons would be something like:

7: President
6a: Director of National Intelligence
6b: CIA Director
5: Deputy Director (one for each directorate)

If you want spies, that's the Directorate of Operations. There's probably at least one more level between the DDO and a Chief of Station for SA Fisher's list (regions like "Asia" or "South America", I'd guess, but I don't actually know).

Wiki puts the number of (public) employees at 21,575, so Rank 7 for the Director by the "Arithmetic of..." chart in Social Engineering. That system isn't really compatible with the Ranks used elsewhere, though, where heads of state are typically 7, with 8 being god-emperor or more SFnal empires. But you're free to scale the ranks however you find suited for the game and setting -- and you can even use different scales for different sorts of rank, so "CIA Rank" might have more levels than just plain "Rank" -- which might call for a lower cost per level, since it should cost less to be the head of the CIA than the head of the USA -- and the CIA Rank 7 Director is still subordinate to the Rank 6 DNI. That gets a bit confusing, though. Probably better to expand them all to the biggest scale necessary than to use different scales.

My preference would just be to collapse rank levels (like I did with the 6a and 6b above), rather than try to give every level of an org chart its own number. Rank in most orgs often doesn't really rate a lot of CP, especially if there are a lot of levels, because even the big boss can't really just order anything done that they want just on a whim (see Social Engineering: Pulling Rank). If the costs for Rank get large, most players will just skip taking Rank in favor of more cost-effective traits. So, decide how important that Rank really is in your intended game. James Bond cares a lot less than Jack Ryan about their Rank, and Bond's Rank matters less to solving the problems his adventures present.
I did read somewhere that Stations have around 5 officers (the COS, the Deputy COS, and three operatives), but then, for example, the Benghazi Base (Stations rule over Bases) had over 20 employees. I also did read that case officers are the same as operations officers, and that operations officers and paramilitary operations officers are about the same as a police officer (they have no authority in the chain of command). I cannot come up with a proper structure, because it seems like different Stations have different sizes.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
doctorevilbrain

How is a secretary a rank? Perhaps I misunderstood you.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cia, rank