Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Daimyo_Shi

Default Grasshopers

Can I ask what people think of Grass hoppers?
Old 10-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Grasshopers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
Expensive & very limited utility . Good way to spice a Car v Car Road encounter , when one deploies it's Rotors unexpectedly . Really needs CA Frame & Aircraft Gas Engine to be effective in combatant . This further ramps up the price so they only get seen in Military Special Ops scenarios .

Medium VTOL Microplanes (or Large VTOL Microplanes with Gas Engines) do much better job of things , at lower costs & have higher speeds . And often more maneuverable too .
Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
juris

They are crap. A helicopter's biggest advantage is they can carry as much armor as the powerplant can lift. But a grasshopper is limited by the chassis of the car, with a heavy helicopter power plant. Worst of both worlds. You're lucky to see one with more than 20 points of armor on a side - absent CA frames as Racer stated. At which point you can maybe bump it up to 30 points!

Quote:
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
sparcipx

Quote:
Great as a Q-car, but not much else. I used one in a cross-country campaign once, and managed to survive (as part of a convoy). Wasn't really worth the money my character spent.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #5
swordtart

The idea is interesting, but it's hard to think of a situation where it would be anything other than a rubbish car or helicopter. It might have utility as a spy vehicle but frankly why not just buy a one man helo and have done with it. Maybe as the get-away vehicle of the scenarios end level boss, but not much else. Once the rules for autogyros came out I used them instead.

The requirement to have skills in both driver and pilot is also a big disadvantage.

Personally I have never seen one in play and whilst I started designing one on several occasions, tellingly, I never finished one as it quickly became apparent that they were uncompetitive. To be fair though originally they were car only, but now I see you can have a speedboat or std hovercraft variants that might have more utility. I may see if they can be better as they have higher weight limits and more space than cars (and the plant size for top end acceleration isn't too far off the boat plant anyway).

A boat-hopper than can lift off to make itself immune to torpedoes might be interesting and a hover-hopper has true versatility (at least in where it can go) - hmmm I could see one of these as a police vehicle in the everglades maybe.

In Aeroduel we also get Carplanes and Hoverplanes which are alternatives. The carplane is more efficeint than the grasshopper but need to be converted while stationary (and can takes minutes so is out of scope in combat). The hover plane takes a few seconds. You'll need to assess whether the conversion is a better cost/weight proposition than the grasshopper mod.

Last edited by swordtart; 10-19-2021 at 01:01 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
Racer

Grasshoppers can good racing vehicles , as maxed Small Aircraft PP produces 9,200 Power Factors over maxed Thundercat's 7,705 PFs .

Yes it's a 1,000lbs heavier & balancing act between two in various Car bodies sizes . I designed a 5,600lb Streamlined Sedan Grasshopper - with 10mph Acceleration in Helicopter mode - that has Top Speed of 247.5mph (267.5mph with Over Drive) .

That's Bugatti Veyron type performance , but in $50,000 price range ...

Reminds me of that custom converted Rolls Royce in the 1980's , with an actual Merlin aero engine installed ! Top Speed around 180mph & a two Miles per Gallon fuel consumption ...
Old 10-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
43Supporter

In the immortal words of the TV show _Almost Live_: "*LAME*!"

Reasons have been covered above.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #8
svawter

Grasshoppers are totally awesome at jumping sharks

😉
svawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:26 AM   #9
Racer

Photo's of 'The Beast' Mk1 & Mk2 on Tumblr . The Rolls Royce's Meteor (Merlin) engined , Rolls Royce grilled (Mk1 only) custom car :

https://carnutter.tumblr.com/post/17...e-early-1970ss

It overtook a family friend in his E-Type Jaguar , on a British motorway circa. 1980 .
Old 10-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
swordtart

Just made a Std. Hover Hopper. With nothing but the Grasshopper mod, the required Small Helo plant, Std skirts, one crewmember and 150pts plastic armour it left 7 spaces and only 250lb for weapons.

So no all hoppers are pish :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote