Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-14-2022, 03:50 AM   #1
Juan

Default Direction inside the dungeon

Hi all, you wise delvers.

I am having trouble to determine which rolls could help a PC to know they are deviating from their needed path in a big multi level dungeon.

To give some context. There´s a mine (middle level of the mega-dungeon) which goes deep inside a mountain. If players insited to follow the corridors, how to inform them, after a succesfull roll, that the dungeon levels they know do not get that deep and maybe they are missing the point?

I guess Cartography, Observation, Prospecting skills?
or, maybe Absolute Direction, Danger sense, Intuition advantages (and no roll then)?

Thanks in advance!

PD
Making the mine smaller will not work for two reasons:
a) the deepest corridors are a good way to explain wandering monsters in all the mega-dungeon, and
b) it is quite probably they will have to delve there later

Last edited by Juan; 05-14-2022 at 03:54 AM.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Direction inside the dungeon

I would go with Navigation at a penalty.

Whatever you choose, since the PCs need to make the realization, I would have success or failure dictate how long it takes. A great roll means they quickly recognize that they’re heading “off the map.” A poor toll means they wander around dealing with a few more random encounters before they figure it out.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
tbone

GURPS Underground Adventures calls this a task for Navigation (Land) when things remain two-dimensional, or for the book's new Navigation (Underground) (cross-defaults to Navigation (Land) at -2) skill when things get multi-level and complex. That latter skill is also given as the skill for estimating depth.

DFRPG doesn't get into Navigation (type), though, so you can call it all plain old Navigation.

(Or bring Navigation (Underground) into the game if you like. Me, I really like the noted book's underground versions of skills, and think they're great for differentiating delvers' specialized knowledge from the mundane knowledge of above-ground surveyors or hikers.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:12 AM   #4
Juan

So Navigation should be the answer, then.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your advices. They are pretty helpful.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
bocephus

You could still give a +1 or +2 for Absolute direction (depending on which version), and a +2 or 3 for Intuition (GM preference).

Both those advantages can apply to this kind of situation.

Danger sense might also kick in for that bit of "this way feels bad", which doesn't mean its the wrong way hehheh just that there is danger that way. But unless they know the preferred route is 'safe' Danger Sense is a little dubious as a navigation tool.

**Edited to add**
You sort of implied that the group is following some form of directions, at least in a general way.
You also mentioned Cartography. If the PC with Cartography also has Absolute Direction[10] AND was doing a map as they went/pointing the correct directions, I would be tempted to just have them do a basic skill check, as a reward for spending points on that combo in a delving situation. In that situation the PC has a set of skills and advantages that should make it difficult to fail this task.

Last edited by bocephus; 05-15-2022 at 04:33 PM.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:50 AM   #6
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
You could still give a +1 or +2 for Absolute direction (depending on which version), and a +2 or 3 for Intuition (GM preference).

Both those advantages can apply to this kind of situation.

Danger sense might also kick in for that bit of "this way feels bad", which doesn't mean its the wrong way hehheh just that there is danger that way. But unless they know the preferred route is 'safe' Danger Sense is a little dubious as a navigation tool.

**Edited to add**
You sort of implied that the group is following some form of directions, at least in a general way.
You also mentioned Cartography. If the PC with Cartography also has Absolute Direction[10] AND was doing a map as they went/pointing the correct directions, I would be tempted to just have them do a basic skill check, as a reward for spending points on that combo in a delving situation. In that situation the PC has a set of skills and advantages that should make it difficult to fail this task.
Good points. Thanks!