Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Edged Rapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That makes no sense. The reason fencing weapons can't parry flails is that they are thin and flimsy. The skill used doesn't influence blade width.
I think it could influence what part of the blade is being parried with.

In Rapier mode the blade is fully extended and even horizontal and weapons are deflected with the "foible".

In Broadsword mode the stance is not so thrust heavy and weapons can be deflected with the "forte" which is the stronger and stiffer part of the blade nearer the hilt.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I think it could influence what part of the blade is being parried with.

In Rapier mode the blade is fully extended and even horizontal and weapons are deflected with the "foible".

In Broadsword mode the stance is not so thrust heavy and weapons can be deflected with the "forte" which is the stronger and stiffer part of the blade nearer the hilt.
That ^

Also, MA page 122 expands the details:

"...Any weapon that also works with a non-fencing skill –
meaning any skill other than Main-Gauche, Rapier, Saber,
or Smallsword – has a mass distribution that lets it parry
flails at the standard -4. Examples include the short staff,
which can use the Smallsword skill or the Shortsword skill
(treat it as a baton), and any rapier heavy enough to use with
the Broadsword skill."
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #13
Anthony

Honestly, the flail rule isn't super realistic for any weapon and seems to mostly be a way to make flexible weapons seem cool and different.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Also, MA page 122 expands the details:

"...Any weapon that also works with a non-fencing skill –
meaning any skill other than Main-Gauche, Rapier, Saber,
or Smallsword – has a mass distribution that lets it parry
flails at the standard -4. Examples include the short staff,
which can use the Smallsword skill or the Shortsword skill
(treat it as a baton), and any rapier heavy enough to use with
the Broadsword skill."
That provides a pretty definitive Official Published Answer (though it is listed as optional detail). The same page makes clear that the skill doesn't matter; it's purely a matter of the weapon properties.

So, to the OP: If you go by Martial Arts, your edged rapier can parry flails normally, regardless of skill.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:27 AM   #15
finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That provides a pretty definitive Official Published Answer (though it is listed as optional detail). The same page makes clear that the skill doesn't matter; it's purely a matter of the weapon properties.

The OP: If you go by Martial Arts, your edged rapier can parry flails normally, regardless of skill.
The Definitive Official Published Answer for GURPS. Which the GM is free to use in their DFRPG game.

The Definitive Official Published Answer for DFRPG is that the Edged Rapier used with the Broadsword skill has Parry 0 (can parry flails at -4), but if it is used with the Rapier Skill it has Parry 0F (cannot parry flails).
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #16
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
The Definitive Official Published Answer for GURPS. Which the GM is free to use in their DFRPG game.

The Definitive Official Published Answer for DFRPG is that the Edged Rapier used with the Broadsword skill has Parry 0 (can parry flails at -4), but if it is used with the Rapier Skill it has Parry 0F (cannot parry flails).
My bad. I was bouncing between the two forums and forgot which I was on.

For DFRPG, I think you've got the right answer...

So, a DFRPG fighter with an edged rapier and Rapier-18 skill only, wanting to parry a flail, could use Broadsword-14 (default from Rapier) to parry, with a Parry of 14/2 + 3 = Parry 10, -4 vs a flail = 6 or less, before any other mods.

I hope I've got that right. (And if I do: That poor Parry is better than no Parry at all using Rapier skill, but I'm thinking a Dodge is the way to go here.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:20 AM   #17
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post

Agreed! The MA rule is great, and if people want to use that in DFRPG, as a house rule, that works great.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote