Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #241
martinl

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Your explanation doesn't explicate. What's a "foamy sport" other than a sport with with "foamy" adjective?
Sorry - "foamy" is a foam grenade. Imperial marines are very fond of a type of grenade that releases a large quantity of foam that rapidly expands and hardens. It's a less lethal weapon, a fortification, an obstruction, an emergency re-enforcement, ablative armor, a dessert topping, emergency backup underwear, and lots of other things, all at once.

So naturally it needs to also be a sporting good.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #242
Agemegos

These Survey frigates are very cramped. So cramped, in fact, that it begins to look as though we're going to consider hot-bunking, shoving the relief shuttle crew out an air-lock, or figuring how to make GURPS Spaceships let us build a ship 10% bigger than SM +9. Anyway, the accommodations are such that only the captain, the ambassador, and the dean look likely to get an unshared cabin. You might like to give some thought about who your characters' roomies are.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #243
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
You might like to give some thought about who your characters' roomies are.
I'm going to suppose that the IN doesn't bother with sex segregation, right? What about rank?

Tomiko is probably bunked with the XO.
Ada is probably bunked with the Counselor. This way they can share "office" space too.
Strickland is probably bunked with two or three of the junior Navy officers.
MacAdams is probably bunked with the entire section in a squadbay.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #244
martinl

Romance/Bunking

Bohn is not currently interested in romance, but will engage in "appropriate recreational activities" with other folks (of all genders) who are "properly civilized." She's first generation farmed fur, so that probably means other Imperials outside of her CoC, which is possibly some of the scientists. If that works, lets say she has an arrangement with the Meteorologist to play chess and recreate every 9th watch, as recommended.

Probably bunks with the astronomer.

Drolegant is in a committed relationship, but is often away for extended periods, so it is open to outside activities. (Drolegant's 'type' is cheerfully outgoing intelligent females.) Drolegant is very cerebral and slow to warm to people that way, since her day job is instantly warming to people she often detests. So nothing yet.

As the ambassador, she has her own bunk. Each night before bed, she records a half hour message to her partner, not caring that it may get to her partner only a few days before Drolgant does. It's the immediacy of talking about her day to day life. This may be a useful scene for data dumps.

Haroldsson is a romantic. He may crush on someone during the mission (Brett, feel free to suggest a target of any type if it would be good for the plot, I'll at least try), at which point he will engage in extravagant gestures. Barring that, he makes do with the sappiest TL10 romancepr0n.

Bunks with some other scientist, whom he treats with proper academic courtesy.

Pvte Jimbo(?) has a high libido that he likes to share with other folks. No real type, other than "recognizably human". He is not interested in relationships though.

He bunks with the other marines, and I'm sure plenty of jokes are made about what they do in there in their spare time. Jimbo is probably up for some of them.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #245
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
He bunks with the other marines, and I'm sure plenty of jokes are made about what they do in there in their spare time. Jimbo is probably up for some of them.
As long as you keep it quiet and don't interrupt Bucky playing his stories, or interfere with anybody else's free time. That breaks Bucky's Rules and I'm sure he can find something constructive for you to do by yourselves. Like armory inventory or inspecting the heads to make sure the robots are cleaning them correctly.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #246
Agemegos

Quote:
I'm going to suppose that the IN doesn't bother with sex segregation, right?
Right. There are more people who want to share a cabin with a fiancé or bunkie-with-benefits than who are worried about sharing a room with a guaranteed non-rapist of the opposite sex. If I were assigning quarters I'd be much more intent on not putting people on the same watch into the same cabin: give both occupants eight hours a day during which their roomie is on watch and they get a bit of privacy.
Quote:
What about rank?
You do what you have to in cramped quarters, but it's best to let people's cabin be a place of refuge from their superiors, if you can. It tends to segregate by rank.

Quote:
Tomiko is probably bunked with the XO.
I'm trying to get the Chief and Number One an unshared cabin each.

Quote:
Ada is probably bunked with the Counselor. This way they can share "office" space too.
Yup.
Quote:
Strickland is probably bunked with two or three of the junior Navy officers.
I'm trying to get the officers into shared cabins, but a junior officers bunkroom is looking hard to escape.

The Imperial Way might be to shove nearly everyone into bunkrooms and provide more mess and wardroom space.
Quote:
MacAdams is probably bunked with the entire section in a squadbay.
Indeedy!

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #247
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Marines' bunkroom Day One, 1100 hours (Marines have been on board for 30 minutes):

MacAdams: Fall-in! At ease! Let's get a quick roll-call. [Roll call proceeds]. When I give the command to fall out form a circle around me! Fall out!

All right Marines, we are going to be living in here for long while. Everyday we are going to work and we are going to work hard. We are first going to PT and do armory maintenance. Then we are going to do some kind of training. Of course on Sundays we'll just play Rugby for PT. After that we are going to turn to, and if you aren't on duty you are on liberty. Now, I expect the only ways they are letting us off this can are either when the situation is nuking pear-shaped or we've discovered the most boring planet in the universe. This means that you need to find some way to entertain yourselves without interfering with anybody else. If you don't I'm sure that Lcpl [Yet to be named] and I can find something constructive for you to do with that time instead. That's Bucky's Rule Number One.

Bucky's Rule Number Two is that we are brothers and sisters. Look out for each other. If you have a problem, or Kobayshi something up, it's our problem too, so don't be afraid to ask for help and don't hesitate to help when you can.

You have until chow to finish stowing your gear. I'm going to report to the old man that all of his armed muppets are present and accounted for. Lcpl. [Yet to be named] will take you to chow if I'm not back yet. After that we are going to do a full inventory on the armory. When we are done with that, we'll be done for the day. Lcpl. [yet to be named] and I will come up with a duty roster. Right now I plan it to CT everybody equally, so lets keep it that way.

Anybody got anything else?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-06-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #248
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Sorry - "foamy" is a foam grenade.
I'm pretty sure that sir_pudding knows what a foamie is. He just wonders why Imperial marines would use foamies as sporting goods instead of using a Rugby ball the way Webb-Ellis intended.

Quote:
Everyday we are going to work and we are going to work hard. We are first going to PT and do armory maintenance. Except on Sundays, we are then going to do some kind of training.
What? Sunday is for Rugby.

Ah! Rugby! The game they play in Heaven. It's PT, it's a team-building exercise, it's aggression training, it's a teamwork & tactic exercise—and the injuries are healed by Wednesday.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #249
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I'm pretty sure that sir_pudding knows what a foamie is.
I had my suspicions.
Quote:
He just wonders why Imperial marines would use foamies as sporting goods instead of using a Rugby ball the way Webb-Ellis intended.
Yeah, pretty much. Using foamies seems like a waste of precious ammunition and a lot riskier and messier than just beating the hell out of each other according to the established rules of whatever (unless you can breathe through the foam).

For training I'd think I'd prefer something equivalent to simunitions, MILES, or just full-on VR.

But if you are into it man, sure whatever, just don't suffocate!

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #250
martinl

Quote:
I had my suspicions.
Yeah, pretty much. Using foamies seems like a waste of precious ammunition and a lot riskier and messier than just beating the hell out of each other according to the established rules of whatever (unless you can breathe through the foam).
I'm almost certain we won't have supplies to engage in extreme foamy sports on board. The point is that:
A. Jimbo has an odd but appropriate hobby to bore everyone else to tears with.
B. When everything goes to hell, Jimbo will have an established "Chekov's Foamie Obsession" when he shows up with two bandoleers of the things and starts using them creatively.
Quote:
But if you are into it man, sure whatever, just don't suffocate!
Safety first!

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech