Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Dagger Mastery question

Does a UC pin disarm?
Old 11-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Does a UC pin disarm?
Not per RAW, near as I can tell.

A Martial Arts Master (UC V) can punch to disarm at DX -4. It succeeds if the punch does at least 3 hits. I don't see any special rules for pinning and UC.

Note that a UC V character has minimum attributes ST 12, DX 14, IQ 14, so is a 40pt. character. A starting 32 pt. character can't be better than UC III, so in addition to building up to 40 attribute points, the master must have spent 7 skill points and hence must have blown through 8300 XP for attributes and 3500 for new skills for a total of 11,800 XP. Not going to see too many of these guys, at least not as PCs.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #13
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I agree with Henry. The occult blast is described as an attack, not a spell. I guess that if the wizard is still holding his staff in HTH (which would be the case with a dagger staff) then he can use the occult blast against any opponent in his hex.
My only issue with allowing Occult Blast while in HTH, I think it violates the spirit of the special attack.

It specifically says, the wizard POINTS with the staff, and uses 1 ST (front hexes only) and the wizard has to make a regular to hit roll. not a to hit roll at +4 to hit.

I see this more like a thrown weapon attack, there is a line of sight, and literally an occult ZAP of energy, call it a 1d6 Lightning bolt if you want, but this is what I am seeing.

I think allowing a +4 to hit from being in HTH is not the original intention, this is a form of "stacking" bonuses.

My question for you guys is: Do you allow the wizard in HTH to use this occult attack to strike an opponent 2 hexes away with a +3 to hit as Staff III, while in HTH?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #14
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
It specifically says, the wizard POINTS with the staff
That's at Staff I.
At Staff III we get "in any direction"
And at Staff IV "the attack is a free action"