Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
ssveter

Default Defense Bonus

What would the cost of a defense bonus be if it were granted by an advantage. My thinking would be something like 30 points a level. Kinda along the lines of the cost of Enhanced Parry.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Landwalker

Default Re: Defense Bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
What would the cost of a defense bonus be if it were granted by an advantage. My thinking would be something like 30 points a level. Kinda along the lines of the cost of Enhanced Parry.
Well, you run into a problem because the current pricing of active defense bonuses as advantages is pretty wonky. Consider:
Enhanced Parry (One Weapon): 5 CP
Enhanced Parry (All Weapons): 10 CP
Enhanced Block: 5 CP
Enhanced Dodge: 15 CP
Total Cost of +1 to all active defenses, using Enhanced Defenses: 30 CP

Combat Reflexes (+1 to all active defenses and +1 to Fast Draw, +2 to Fright Checks, +6 to all IQ rolls to recover from stun and stun, and you and all of your friends get +1 to +2 on initiative to avoid surprise): 15 CP.
Personally, I've never quite understood why there's that sort of gulf. It seems like Combat Reflexes is woefully underpriced, or Enhanced Dodge is brutally overpriced. Considering that Enhanced Parry and Enhanced Block both seem about right, pricing-wise, my inclination is to lean towards the former possibility.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
It seems like Combat Reflexes is woefully underpriced
This. And it's intentional: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=5

I would have no problem with removing the +1 to all defences for it and still let it cost 15 pts. It is still well worth it but now it actually represent what it say it represent. Instead of being a cheap way to get a bonus to defence that every character will buy no matter if appropriate or not.
for instance take a super speedster with very high defences. He would always get CR first even though his character has never seen, let alone been in an actual fight.
When a trait becomes so good people people can't be persuaded to NOT take it, then its TOO good IMO.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
malloyd

Partly I think there's a missing active defense - avoid one particular attack. The reason Dodge is so expensive is you can use it any number of times, and it's not considered to involve any specific movements in response to any particular attack. If there were an avoidance option to, or which replaced, a parry - preventing any contact with that one attack but also not setting up stuff like aggressive parries or disarms and taking repeat use penalties just like parry, it would make sense to improve it more cheaply.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
aesir23

30 points for Defense Bonus is canonical in GURPS Supers.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Partly I think there's a missing active defense - avoid one particular attack. The reason Dodge is so expensive is you can use it any number of times, and it's not considered to involve any specific movements in response to any particular attack. If there were an avoidance option to, or which replaced, a parry - preventing any contact with that one attack but also not setting up stuff like aggressive parries or disarms and taking repeat use penalties just like parry, it would make sense to improve it more cheaply.
All-Out Dodge? +2 to that one defense, forgoing the ability to use Dodge for the rest of your turn? Committed Dodge, +1 to one particular dodge, but you're at -2 to all other dodges for the rest of your turn.

You might say you can only use this option if you've not elected dodge yet, to prevent the final dodge you do (or think you'll do) to always be this.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
All-Out Dodge? +2 to that one defense, forgoing the ability to use Dodge for the rest of your turn? Committed Dodge, +1 to one particular dodge, but you're at -2 to all other dodges for the rest of your turn.
Maybe increase the bonus and have it work as an additional form of Retreat so it can't be combined with Retreat?

Nonmotile Retreat?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Personally, I've never quite understood why there's that sort of gulf. It seems like Combat Reflexes is woefully underpriced, o
Ain't nothing woeful about it. Combat Reflexes being cheap is a good thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Dustin

I've seen a +1 defense bonus published (somewhere) as an Alternative Ability:
Enhanced Parry (All Weapons): 10pts Alt x 1/5 [2]
Enhanced Block: 5pts Alt x 1/5 [1]
Enhanced Dodge: 15pts Alt x 1 [15]
Total [18]
Can't find where at the moment, sorry.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
I've seen a +1 defense bonus published (somewhere) as an Alternative Ability:
Enhanced Parry (All Weapons): 10pts Alt x 1/5 [2]
Enhanced Block: 5pts Alt x 1/5 [1]
Enhanced Dodge: 15pts Alt x 1 [15]
Total [18]
Can't find where at the moment, sorry.
I don't think that works, you have to use a ready maneuver to switch the options.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defense, gurps 4e