Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
TheOneRonin

Default Martial Art Style: Suntukan

I've been training in different Filipino Arts since the early 90's (Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Balintawak Eskrima, and more recently, Modern Arnis).

And while I like the overall treatment that Martial Arts has given Eskrima, I feel like much of the empty-hand components of the training I've done are missing from the write-up in Martial Arts.

So this is my attempt to encapsulate the techniques and lessons that are core to Suntukan, or Filipino Boxing.

Here is the write-up from Wikipedia:
Quote:
The term suntukan comes from the Tagalog word for punch, suntok. It is the Filipino term for a fistfight or brawl and for fistfighting or boxing. Panununtukan means "the art of fistfighting".

The Visayan terms pangamot and pakamot ("use of hands") come from the Cebuano word for hand, kamot. Due to Cebuano language pronunciation quirks, they are also pronounced natively as pangamut and pakamut, thus the variation of spelling across literature.

Mano-mano comes from the Spanish word for "hand", mano, and can translate to "two hands" or "hand-to-hand". The phrase "Mano-mano na lang, o?" ("Why don't we settle this with fists?") is often used to end arguments when tempers have flared in Philippine male society.

Panantukan (often erroneously referred to as panantuken by Western practitioners due to the way Americans pronounce the letters [U] and A) is possibly a corruption of panuntukan (pronounced pa-noon-too-kan), an alternative form of pangsuntukan which means "for the use of fistfighting". It is generally attributed to the empty hands and boxing system infused by FMA pioneers Leodoro "Lucky" Lucaylucay and Floro Villabrille[1] into the Filipino martial arts component of the Inosanto Academy and Jeet Kune Do fighting systems developed in the West Coast of the United States. It is said that originally, Lucaylucay wanted to call his art Suntukan, but he was concerned that it would be confused with Shotokan Karate, so he used the term Panantukan instead.[2][3][4][5] The terms panantukan and its sibling component pananjakman (for the kicking aspect) are virtually unknown in the Philippines and are used more in Western Kali/Eskrima systems of Filipino-American origin.

Suntukan is not a sport, but rather a street-oriented fighting system. The techniques have not been adapted for safety or conformance to a set of rules for competition, thus it has a reputation as "dirty street fighting". It consists of upper-body striking techniques such as punches, elbows, headbutts, shoulder strikes and limb destruction. It is often used in combination with Sikaran, the kicking aspect of Filipino fighting which includes low-line kicks, tripping and knee strikes to the legs, shins, and groin. Common targets include the biceps, triceps, eyes, nose, jaws, temples, groin, ribs, spine, and the back of the neck.

While many Filipino boxing champions such as Estaneslao "Tanny" del Campo[6][7] and Buenaventura "Kid Bentura" Lucaylucay[1][8] (Lucky Lucaylucay's father) practiced olympic and sport boxing, they also used pangamot dirty street boxing which is distinct from Western Boxing.[9][10] A particular trait of Filipino boxing (as opposed to Western Boxing) is that instead of standing and trading blows with an opponent, suntukan practitioners typically circle constantly to avoid getting hit and look for openings, just like with knife fighting. According to Lucky Lucaylucay: "...if your practice is based on knife fighting, you have to become much more sophisticated with your footwork, evasions and delivery because one wrong move could mean death... ...Filipino boxing is exactly like knife fighting, except instead of cutting with a blade, we strike with a closed fist."

Even though suntukan is designed to allow an unarmed practitioner to engage in both armed and unarmed confrontations, it easily integrates the use of weapons such as knives, palmsticks (dulo y dulo) and ice picks. These weapons can render suntukan's techniques fatal but do not fundamentally change how the techniques are executed. Weapons in suntukan tend to be small, easily concealed and unobtrusive. Thus, suntukan minimizes contact with the opponent because it is not always known whether an opponent is armed, and knives are very often used in fights and brawls in the Philippines. As such, parries and deflections are preferred over blocks and prolonged grappling.

Suntukan is also a key component of Eskrima. It is theorized to have evolved from Filipino weapons fighting because in warfare, unarmed fighting is usually a method of last resort for when combatants are too close in proximity (such as trapping and grappling range) or have lost their weapons. Aside from this, some unarmed techniques and movements in certain Eskrima systems are directly derived from their own weapon-based forms. In some classical Eskrima systems, the terms Mano mano, De Cadena (Spanish for "of chain") and Cadena de Mano (Spanish for "hand chain") are the names for their empty hand components. Aside from punching, the suntukan components in Eskrima includes kicking, locking, throwing and dumog (grappling).

Suntukan emphasizes speed in striking, with the intent of overwhelming the adversary with a flurry of attacks. Indefinite combinations of different strikes are strung together continuously to make successful defense a relative impossibility. Many strikes in suntukan are said to be performed on "half-beats", or in between the major strikes of a combination, so as to disorient and overwhelm an opponent, increasing the opportunity for more devastating attacks. An example of this could be performing a swift slap or eye strike after throwing a jab with the same hand in a standard jab-cross-hook combination; the eye strike both disrupts the defense against and masks the incoming cross. Sometimes, low-line kicks are often executed between boxing combinations to further injure and disorient the opponent.

Some moves which immobilise the limbs are called gunting (scissors) techniques because of the scissor-like motions used to stop an opponent's limb from one side while attacking from the other side. Suntukan focuses on countering an opponent's strike with a technique that will nullify further attack by hitting certain nerve points, bones, and muscle tissue to cause immediate partial paralysis of the attacking limb. Common limb destructions include guiding incoming straight punches into the defending fighter's elbow (siko) to shatter the knuckles, or striking the incoming limb in the biceps to inhibit the opponent's ability to use that arm for the remainder of the fight. Gunting focuses on destroying the opponent's ability to wield their weapon. This term derives from the word "scissors" in Filipino, Malaysian and Indonesian. In Filipino martial arts, gunting can be done by cutting the hand or wrist with a pair of blades (hence the name), but it can also be done with a single blade or with the empty hand by striking nerves and tensed muscles.

Suntukan also borrows moves from dumog (upright wrestling) which twist and turn the opponent's body with the goal of exposing a more vulnerable area, such as the neck, jaw and temples. This is accomplished by the use of arm wrenching, shoving, shoulder ramming, and other off-balancing techniques in conjunction with punches and kicks. For example, the attacker's arm could be grabbed and pulled downward to expose their head to a knee strike.
<Style Tactics coming soon>

Suntukan - 4 points

Skills: Karate, Judo, Knife
Techniques: Aggressive Parry (Karate); Arm Lock (Judo); Disarming (Judo); Elbow Strike; Feint (Karate); Hand Lock (Judo); Head Butt (Karate); Knee Strike; Reverse Grip (Knife); Sweep (Karate); Targeted Attack (Karate Kick/Leg); Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Arm); Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Face); Targeted Attack (Knife Swing/Arm), Targeted Attack (Knife Thrust/Vitals), Targeted Attack (Knife Thrust/Neck).

Cinematic Skills: Power Blow; Pressure Points; Push

Perks: Grip Mastery (Knife), Improvised Weapons (Knife), Off-hand Weapon Training (Knife)

I'm still working on Optional traits.

Thoughts, ideas, criticisms?

Last edited by TheOneRonin; 09-22-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Updated Techniques; added cinematic skills and perks
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Martial Art Style: Suntukan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
And while I like the overall treatment that Martial Arts has given Eskrima, I feel like much of the empty-hand components of the training I've done are missing from the write-up in Martial Arts.
Mostly because the specific styles I looked at to inform the writeup of Escrima focused mostly on sticks and knives. Had I had room (and more pages, and more research!) I'd have included FMA unarmed styles, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post

Suntukan - 4 points

Skills: Karate, Judo, Knife
Techniques: Aggressive Parry (Karate); Arm/Hand Lock (Judo); Disarming (Judo); Elbow Strike; Feint (Karate); Head Butt (Karate); Knee Strike; Sweep (Karate); Targeted Attack (Karate Kick/Leg); Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Arm); Targeted Attack (Karate Punch/Face)

I don't plan on adding any cinematic elements to it, and I haven't quite settled on Perks or Optional traits.

Thoughts, ideas, criticisms?
Almost no arts lack some kind of cinematic stories - are you sure there are no stories of people doing amazing knockout strikes, casual crippling strikes, shrugging off strikes, etc.? I'd be truly surprised. Even modern sport styles get that kind of exaggeration attached to them.

Also, it seems low on Knife techniques. If knife is taught equally with the other parts of the style, it seems odd that there are no particular techniques ascribed to its use. Not even slicing at the arms, which seems odd for a FMA style.

Also, it's Arm or Wrist Lock, not Arm/Hand Lock. Finally, you need to describe its tactics in GURPS terms, so a non-martial artist can know what kind of maneuvers to take to play a suntukan stylist in a distinctive but accurate way.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Martial Art Style: Suntukan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
Mostly because the specific styles I looked at to inform the writeup of Escrima focused mostly on sticks and knives. Had I had room (and more pages, and more research!) I'd have included FMA unarmed styles, too.
Truth. You only have so much room in a book, and you need to make sure you represent the most popular stuff out there. Plus, do you really have the time and space to represent 15 different styles that all get the same techniques and perks?

In my experience, the Pekiti and Balintawak were very heavily stick and knife focused. The Modern Arnis balances weapon and empty hand components more equally, and we incorporate a lot of standing grapples/grabs, hence the inclusion of Judo in required skills.

Quote:
Almost no arts lack some kind of cinematic stories - are you sure there are no stories of people doing amazing knockout strikes, casual crippling strikes, shrugging off strikes, etc.? I'd be truly surprised. Even modern sport styles get that kind of exaggeration attached to them.
Oh, there are. I was building this style primarily for the games my group and I run, which are fairly realistic and non-cinematic. But it does make sense to round out the style with all relevant components. Let me think on it and I'll try to come up with some fitting ones.

Quote:
Also, it seems low on Knife techniques. If knife is taught equally with the other parts of the style, it seems odd that there are no particular techniques ascribed to its use. Not even slicing at the arms, which seems odd for a FMA style.
Absolutely! I had a bunch of knife techniques in my notes, but it looks like they didn't completely copy over. I'll update the main post with the Knife stuff here shortly.

Quote:
Also, it's Arm or Wrist Lock, not Arm/Hand Lock. Finally, you need to describe its tactics in GURPS terms, so a non-martial artist can know what kind of maneuvers to take to play a suntukan stylist in a distinctive but accurate way.
Gotcha. Forgot we houseruled Arm and Wrist lock into a single technique. And I'll put up the GURPS tactics sometime today when I have some more time.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, Peter. I really appreciate getting your take on it, especially since you wrote much of the Martial Arts book.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, technical grappling