Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #41
TheGnome

Default Re: How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?

One idea I have had is to make the storm trooper what it should be. A unholy terror of an elitist. As such they are in limited numbers. So go realistic but make it a big thing to have 1 to 5 of this guys after you.
TheGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #42
PPoS

I'm in the middle of an Star Wars based campaign and while statting some imperial troops I came up with a solution for armour. At first I tried to use UT 4Ed to do this, but I wasn't really satisfied.

I simply took the "Armour Bonus" number from the D20 books (both Saga and the older edition) and multiplied it by 10. The resulting DR is used against blasters while 1/10 (the original number) would be used against all other damage. If you want to have tougher armour you could simply use 1/5 of the DR against other damage.

Example; a Scout Trooper has a "Armour Bonus" number of +4. In GURPS this armour would have DR 40/4. Against a blaster* it would have DR 8 and DR 4 against all other damage. Using tougher armour would put the DR at 40/8, which would have DR 8 against all types of damages.

*I'm using blasters that have an Armour Divisior of 5.

A Blast Vest would have DR 20/2 (20/4) and a Stormtrooper armour would have DR 60/6 (60/12).
PPoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #43
dynaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
bad example. because I can get them the agree.

2+2 can equal 5.

2.49 is 2 when rounded to 1 significant figure. 2.49 + 2.49 = 4.98 or 5 rounded to 1 significant figure.

1.5 is 2 when rounded to 1 significant figure. 1.5+1.5 = 3.

Make Blasters an Energy weapon. Storm Troops arm than can be give a good DR vs the engergy attack, but lower DR vs physical attacks
And now I have a bridge to sell you...
dynaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Okay, I've been waiting for someone else to do this, but no-one has the cojones to try. Or the right combination of medication and sleep deprivation. So it's up to me ...

Q: "How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?"
A: "Candy, flowers, reservations at a nice restaurant, and borrowing his dad's car."

There. I said it. I'm glad I said it.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #45
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Okay, I've been waiting for someone else to do this, but no-one has the cojones to try. Or the right combination of medication and sleep deprivation. So it's up to me ...

Q: "How can an Ewok take out a Scout Trooper?"
A: "Candy, flowers, reservations at a nice restaurant, and borrowing his dad's car."

There. I said it. I'm glad I said it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AeirHWFnbY&fmt=20
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #46
cromley

In my (very old) SW game, I justified the armor as being primarily meant to offer some protection against more primitive weapons, given that the troops were meant to keep order on a lot of different planets. Sort of like modern riot gear - it's not mean to stop bullets. And it helps if it looks imposing!

So, in my world the Ewoks were largely ineffective, but served as a good diversion while the rebel strike team did their job.
cromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #47
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromley View Post
In my (very old) SW game, I justified the armor as being primarily meant to offer some protection against more primitive weapons, given that the troops were meant to keep order on a lot of different planets. Sort of like modern riot gear - it's not mean to stop bullets. And it helps if it looks imposing!
That's an interpretation I've never encountered, and it works quite well for the original movies. Space riot armor! I like that.

Falls down a bit with the prequels, but many things do, so no harm there. :)
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #48
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
That's an interpretation I've never encountered, and it works quite well for the original movies. Space riot armor! I like that.

Falls down a bit with the prequels, but many things do, so no harm there. :)
To be fair, the stormtroopers' armor might just be designed to look like what the clones wore, thanks to the clones getting such a reputation for their role in crushing the Seperatists and later wiping out the Jedi.

There's something else I thought up, but it goes against normal Imperial strategies (although probably not against Mandalorian strategy). What if the armor is protecting them? Yeah, they get shot, there's a big shower of sparks, and they fall to the ground and stop moving. That doesn't necessarily mean they are dead, however, just (temporarily) incapacitated. It basically tells the trooper "Hey, you got hit, but you're lucky and the armor stopped it. Now stay down for a little while your buddies mop things up, yeah?" Maybe the concussion and flash from the explosion dazes them a bit as well? I could see a blaster bolt functioning somewhat like a flashbang to someone in armor.

... of course, the explanation that the "armor" is really just there to make faceless (but imposing-looking) adversaries to die against the heroes without evoking any empathy from the audience works a lot better.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #49
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
There's something else I thought up, but it goes against normal Imperial strategies (although probably not against Mandalorian strategy). What if the armor is protecting them? Yeah, they get shot, there's a big shower of sparks, and they fall to the ground and stop moving. That doesn't necessarily mean they are dead, however, just (temporarily) incapacitated. It basically tells the trooper "Hey, you got hit, but you're lucky and the armor stopped it. Now stay down for a little while your buddies mop things up, yeah?" Maybe the concussion and flash from the explosion dazes them a bit as well? I could see a blaster bolt functioning somewhat like a flashbang to someone in armor.
My God, it's almost as if not everyone who goes down dies instantly!
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
My God, it's almost as if not everyone who goes down dies instantly!
A ridiculous concept, I know.

Sarcasm aside, the excerpt from the novelization of A New Hope that is quoted in the article (posted in post #8) heavily implies that the trooper who gets hit by Leia's holdout blaster dies from the hit. I suspect the intent of the movies was that the troopers who went down did indeed die - we never see any of them get back up, or rock about in pain, or anything.

That said, if you are looking to have a somewhat-realistic Star Wars campaign, I think the "flashbang" stunning effect would make a good deal of sense.

Tags
star wars