Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #31
Varyon

Default Re: Is there something about the slam rules I'm missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
How much larger though?
That would be up to the GM. And it doesn't even need to be larger than you - a wolf suddenly slamming into you, knocking you down, and then trying to eat your face could readily result in a Fright Check.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
and what about intense grappling (lots of control points) where pinning doesn't exist (technical grappling) ?
This is what more than double CM is.

Quote:
In lieu of Terror it seems like it'd be interesting to have guidelines on how other criteria effective emulate having it, whether that's how you look, what people know about the char, what the char does to them, etc.
p. B360
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #33
Talonos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Feline attackers use the crucial seconds where the victim is suffering from Shock & Stun...
If the impala was already moving, he wasn't mentally stunned, and he would only be physically_ stunned on a major wound for which the impala fail his rolls. More likely than not, the impala's still acting, he's just taking a shock penalty for a round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Meanwhile, the victim is trying to make Fright Checks and recover from Shock & Stun, so they can attempt to Break Free rather than flailing uselessly.
It's arguable whether a cheetah would require even a fright check from an impala, or whether it would be considered "Threatening, but normal," which requires no fright check. If the cheetah did require a fright check, then by the time the cheetah impacts the impala, it certainly counts as being "in the heat of combat," giving the Impala a +5, and likely another +1 from having seen cheetahs before. The Impala is almost certain to make this check.

Also, it might look like useless flailing to us, but millennia of evolution has doubtlessly refined that flailing to be the absolute most adaptive flailing possible given the impala's physical limitations. That's not a useless panic reaction, that's how a creature with No Manipulators escapes a grapple by "wriggling". (MA 116)
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonos View Post
If the impala was already moving, he wasn't mentally stunned, and he would only be physically_ stunned on a major wound for which the impala fail his rolls. More likely than not, the impala's still acting, he's just taking a shock penalty for a round.
This is why the fight or flight rule in Horror is better than the just Do Nothing rule in the Basic Set.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #35
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is why the fight or flight rule in Horror is better than the just Do Nothing rule in the Basic Set.
Hah. And I missed that one when I wrote Flight Reflex into Nordlond Bestiary.

Flight Reflex. Similar to Combat Paralysis, but instead of
freezing up, you “nope” out and flee. You receive –2 to Fright
Checks. If personal harm seems imminent, make a HT roll
when the danger frst appears. Regardless of HT, any roll of
14+ is a failure. Success lets you act normally; failure means
you sprint away from danger for 1d seconds at maximum
speed. You don’t stop until you feel safe (if you’re being
chased, you’re not safe). Flight Reflex is mutually exclusive
with Combat Reflexes (Adventurers, p. 48); it does not
overlap with Cowardice (Adventurers, p. 58).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #36
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Where is that in Horror? I just did a search & could not find it.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:49 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Where is that in Horror? I just did a search & could not find it.
In the Not Just Stunned box p. 141.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:17 AM   #38
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonos View Post
If the cheetah did require a fright check, then by the time the cheetah impacts the impala, it certainly counts as being "in the heat of combat," giving the Impala a +5, and likely another +1 from having seen cheetahs before. The Impala is almost certain to make this check.
I would never give a skittish prey animal the benefit of the +5 "Heat of Battle" bonus against one of their default predators unless they're defending their offspring. And the +1 for familiarity also seems way out of place, any predator should still be counted as a dangerous monster when looking through the eyes of a prey animal. However, the Fight or Flight rules are much more suited to the situation than the Basic "Do Nothing" rules.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:36 AM   #39
Inky

It seems like Fright Checks are based partly on how weird something is rather than on how dangerous it is.
Quote:
As a general rule, “ordinary” frightening things do not require Fright Checks. Fright Checks are for events so unusual and terrifying that they might stun or even permanently scar someone.
What counts as “ordinary” depends on the characters and the setting. This is one place where a character story can be helpful! An ordinary, 21st-century American might have to make Fright Checks for encounters with monsters, dead bodies, and the supernatural. A battle-hardened commando in the same game might not have to roll for dead bodies. And in a fantasy campaign, all these things may be quite normal . . . threatening, but normal. On the other hand, a fantasy character might have to make a Fright Check if transported to the 21st century and given a ride down the interstate . . .

Last edited by Inky; 12-19-2022 at 02:40 AM.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
It seems like Fright Checks are based partly on how weird something is rather than on how dangerous it is.
Getting wounded, being under fire, etc. always count if using those rules from High-Tech and Tactical Shooting.

Tags
cheetah, impala, pounce, rules question, slam