Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
KarlKost

Default Re: when is there HP damage for avoiding urination (Quick and Dirty Enchantment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Dealing with spending long hours on a job without the ability to take a bathroom break is a problem with known solutions. However, RAW you'll start taking penalties after 8 hours, see the rules for Long Tasks on B346 (and unlike sleep, there are no advantages that offset those penalties).
If you are Undead you offset those penalties.

I dont recommend thou.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #12
KarlKost

Default Re: when is there HP damage for avoiding urination (Quick and Dirty Enchantment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
A lot of professional sportsmen and woman taking part in long term competitions like the tour de france just urinate in their pants while still cycling full power further, as do runners, swimmers , ... so there will be no problem with shame and such for a hardened enchanter. Heck even in regional half marathons i know some folks do it, just wearing dark clothes.

But you face a bigger problem, 35 h working on without drinking and eating will have consequences on you concentration. You will do it by yourself manually or face the -1 for each person who isnīt casting in sight.

Not to mention you need 3500 FP - your own energy you can spend. The necessary powerstone is about 3490 carat big, at least dozens of times bigger than anything in the whole GURPS history, in Magig Items ? is somewhere a stone bigger than 100 carat. It is worth several kingdoms. The whole case is most likely a thought experiment.
That's why for those you'll use assistants. With 69 assistants it's 50 energy for each - an average 10 FP each and a 40 points power stone.

Althought they give a penalty I guess... Aargh I dont know
Old 06-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #13
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

We could just assume that mages doing this, if they don't have 3500 FP, might have an ER of 3500.

You might not have a full-time ER of 3500, maybe it's smaller but you can temporarily get access to higher ER deposits via Extra Effort.
Holy Guacamole, 3500 ER? That's 10.500 character points! Even if you placed limitations up to 80%, that's still 2.100 character points just for ER!
Old 06-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
That's why for those you'll use assistants. With 69 assistants it's 50 energy for each - an average 10 FP each and a 40 points power stone.

Althought they give a penalty I guess... Aargh I dont know
Only 69 character points to buy off those -1 penalties w/ perks, guess that's cheaper than an ER.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #15
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by woefulhc View Post
GURPS is NOT intended to be a reality simulator. (How To Be a GURPS GM: Managing Expectations, p 3).

While I guess you could posit a game/campaign where a single caster could amass 3500 energy for a single casting quick and dirty enchantment, my read of what is presented in Magic is that is FAR beyond the scope of what they were targeting for Q&D. By the time a mage has that much energy available I expect they would have a way to address the concentration, bladder, bowel, food and drink needs to be able to do the Q&D method.

Personally, as a GM I'd just say, "No."
Yes, by the time the Mage has 3.500 ER he has adressed all those issues indeed.

He has turned himself into a Lich. Problem solved. Now he can do whatever he wants for as long as he wants without penalties, and is reviled and hated and feared by everybody.

But hey, no more bladder problems.

Or he could also turn himself into a full ciborg.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #16
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Only 69 character points to buy off those -1 penalties w/ perks, guess that's cheaper than an ER.
That's a still very specific and rare kind of archmage that managed to learn with perfection the art of coordinating almost 100 people in an Enchantment process...

By the, I dont remember by head but, can the assistants take a break? Cuz if they cant either, that's a lot harder to do, finding 70 people to stay put for 35 hours...

And that aint even the worse of it. Bless 3 requires 5.000 energy, and there are even worse ones yet
Old 06-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #17
Plane

Quote:
I dont remember by head but, can the assistants take a break? Cuz if they cant either, that's a lot harder to do, finding 70 people to stay put for 35 hours...
I figured QAD would follow the standard rules for Ceremonial Magic Assistants (except only allowing the 1st category of contributors) which on M12... I can't actually see anything.

Like maybe they also have to make will rolls, but if their will rolls fail instead of wrecking the whole spell it'd just prevent them from giving energy at the end?

Quote:
And that aint even the worse of it. Bless 3 requires 5.000 energy, and there are even worse ones yet
One extra rabbit in the hat of increasing the "per person" rate I just remembered - Horror 147's bonus of 6xMagery of FREE energy on Demand - so long as you consent to sake the same points of Corruption.

A 16-hour day of meditation will clear 4 corruption per "Penance day", so it's faster to get rid of than to build up energy ahead of time via pre-meditation (Meditative Magic on Fantasy 161 and Thaumatology 53) since that requires an entire day just to build up 1 energy.

Even if that was an 8-hour work day, that's still only 2 energy you can get for a 16-hour day, so taking on a bit of corruption is still twice as good.

To give meditative magic a bit of competition, I think maybe you could allow higher energy return (or lower meditation time) if you specialized the energy you built up as usable on a certain spell or certain college. You wouldn't allow this for corruption since that's obviously tailored to whatever spell you need in that given moment.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:48 PM   #18
awesomenessofme1

If you're in a setting where it's relevant, Draw Power is the obvious solution to any sort of FP woes.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:12 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
If you're in a setting where it's relevant, Draw Power is the obvious solution to any sort of FP woes.
Well, if you have Magery 20, HT 12, and a 1200 MW power plant, sure...
Old 06-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #20
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, if you have Magery 20, HT 12, and a 1200 MW power plant, sure...
For some reason, the fact that the FP is paid as a lump sum escaped me. I probably should have realized that if that wasn't the case, you could just get Regeneration instead. (That said, the power plant part isn't that hard if you have nuclear, and it's at least theoretically possible to make it work if you have several archmages.)
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchantment, incontinence, quick and dirty, urination