Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
naloth

Default not quite the World of Darkness v3

WoD Vampire v3 (50 points)

[20] Doesn't Breathe
[10] Doesn't Eat or Drink
[0] Feature: Affected by True Faith
[0] Feature: Being staked in the heart causes paralysis
[0] Feature: CR (affecting Berserk, Phobia, and Appetite) cost 5 points per +1 (max 15) or gives 5 points per -1 (min 6)
[0] Feature: May buy additional massless (0%) HP (2/pt) at GM's discretion
[0] Feature: Not affected by fatigue (doesn't have, doesn't use, breaks like a machine)
[0] Feature: Unaging
[10] High Pain Threshold
[10] HP+5 (massless 0%)
[30] Immunity to Metabolic Hazards
[20] IT: Unliving
[22] Leech (Accelerated 1HP = 1HP +25%; Blood Agent -40%)
[1] Perk: Can burn HP for extra effort
[48] ST!+6 (Costs HP, variable +2 ST/HP per min -20%; No HP Gained)
[15] Vampire's Kiss (Affliction 1; Ecstasy +100%; Same target restrictions at leech -50%)

[-10] Berserk (CR12)
[-5] Draining (Blood, any but quantity varies; HT checks failed from this cause hibernation)
[-20] Phobia (Fire; Sunlight; CR12)
[-20] Secret (Vampire)
[-10] Supernatural Features (Body Heat + Pallor - negated if fed within the last hour)
[-15] Uncontrollable Appetite (Blood; CR12)
[-20] Unhealing (heals via leech)
[-36] Weakness (Sunlight; 1d/min; very common; variable -40%)

Total: 50 points

Notes: Many moons ago I created a basic WoD vampire complete with basically every described trait as precisely as I could recreate it from VtM in GURPS. Experience, though, was that most of that was highly unnecessary. Playtesting has led to the following major changes:

1) The ER/Blood Pool is gone. Basically it was a crutch to do things like the White Wolf system, but it's largely unnecessary because GURPS already comes with a few pools that you can deplete. With this template Vampires burn HP directly. Vampires will tend to have extra HP (massless) representing extra durability and supernatural power. Having extra HP rather than ER makes vamps harder to kill without having to take actions to self heal which also plays better.

2) Healing is gone. Self healing was a nifty idea, but in practice "Leech->ER Pool->Heal HP w/Healing" works a lot like "Leech->Heal HP" without the extra convoluted steps and limits on healing. Since vamps can't heal from resting, they always either have the HP as HP. Crippling injuries are still a bit of a concern. Temporary ones heal as vamps get enough HP to heal the damage while lasting ones last a long time. Of course, lots of massless HP makes it much harder to cripple vamps, so as vamps start with a higher threshold for crippling (HP15) which gets higher as they get a bigger HP pool.

3) Blood boosted ST got better. Vampires were the worst Supernaturals at combat. Sure, vamps can soak a lot more bullets than mortals, but mortals tend to have those the bullets to spare. Being able to spend 3 HP for a minute's worth of ST+6 (no hp) makes baseline Vamps better than mortals, or at least harder to hold down. I use KYOS so ST+6 is about x2 human strength and higher damage.

4) Many of the "it would kill you anyway" things are treated as features or special effects. Staking, for example, injures vamps to where they would at least pass out if not die. Making it a way to "handcuff" them isn't really that big of an advantage.

5) Generations were useful in a "what's your level DnD" type way. In practice, they feel rather artificial. I prefer my vamps to get naturally stronger with age (say addition massless HP up to modifier on speed/range where yds = years such that a 100yr old should have another +10 massless HP for a total of +15).

6) I got rid of Teeth (cutting). It's awkward to have vampire fights where they go around biting everything, and most players preferred either disciplines or equipment anyway. The incapacitating affliction tends to be more useful if you want to grapple and subsequently leech HP. First off, it's an instant KO when it works so you can stop worrying about the grapple. Second, you don't really want HPs you could leech to drain out as wounds.

7) I went back to full ItMH. Ingesting something through blood didn't really come up, and it would have just been annoying for players to screen victims that way.

8) I didn't restrict vamps to human blood, though I do adjust the proportion based on sentience. The Draining also can't be lethal. A failed check (life or consciousness) will result in torpor (hibernation/coma) instead.

9) Following the DF trend, I don't put aging related traits in templates. It's only come up in Time Travel games and even then the group was just gaming it for some free XP via on the job training.

10) True Faith is effectively paid for by the attacker just like an attack that only works on targets touching the ground. It's only noted so that players won't be surprised by it. You'd expect fliers to be able to ignore quicksand, but often times vampires aren't affected by faith.

Vampires were first. Werewolves, Demons, and Wraiths to follow...

Last edited by naloth; 01-14-2022 at 09:53 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
naloth

Default Re: not quite the World of Darkness v3

Ghoul (15 points)

[19] Leech 1 (Accelerated +25%; Blood Agent -40%; Only Vampires -20%)
[1] Perk: Focused Fury
[10] HP+5 (Massless 0%)

[-15] Addiction (Vampire Blood)

Total: 15 points

Ghouls are otherwise mundane humans that have repetitively ingested vampire blood. Ghouls can feed from any vampire, but most have a patron that they serve. This generally manifests as a duty.

Ghouls make good vampire servants since they are both dependent on having a steady supply of vampire blood and able to do things during the day while a vampire is typically avoiding the sun.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
naloth

WoD Werewolf (150 points)

Active traits for all forms (Human, Crinos, and Wolf)
[176] Alternate Forms: Crinos (below) and Wolf (below) (Active Change +20%; Reduced Time 3 sec +40%; Stays on +50)
[2] Animal Empathy (Only Wolves -60%)
[20] Extra Attack (2 fatigue/use -20%)
[0] Feature: +/-5pts for each point you modify the CR for Berserk and Stress Atavisim (min 6; max 15)
[10] IT: Unbreakable Bones (regrowth with a special effect)
[20] Jumper (Immediate Prep 10 min -45%; Nature -20%; Requires Reflective Surface -20%)
[25] Regeneration (Regular)
[2] Temperature Tolerance 2

[-10] Lunacy
[-20] Secret (Were)
[-15] Stress Atavism (Becomes unable to speak; IQ to understand; shifts to Crinos or Wolf if attacked)
[-40] Vulnerability (x2 dmg; Fire, common; Silver, rare)

Total: 150 points

Crinos (Wolf-Man) Form
ST+6 (Nuisance: SM+1, Weight x4 -10%) [54]; Claws [5]; Feature: Born Biter SM+3 [0]; Perk: Fur [1]; Regeneration (Instant, upgraded from Reg) [70]; Teeth (Sharp) [1]; Terror (Always -40%; Mundanes Only -20%) [12]; Berserk (CR12) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Semi-Upright [-5]; Stigma (Monster) [-20]; Vulnerability (Silver, increased to x3) [-5]. Total 93 points.

Wolf Form
Alertness +2 [10]; DX+2 (NFM -40%) [24]; Claws (Blunt) [3]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Enhanced Move (Ground) [20]; Feature: Born Biter SM+2 [0]; Perk: Fur [1]; Speak with Animals (Wolves Only -60%); Teeth (Sharp) [1]; Cannot Speak [-15]; Quadruped [-35]; Social Sigma (Animal) [-10]. Total 20 points.

Notes: Like with vampires, I'm made changes based on experience and deviation from trying to exactly match the storyteller system. Here's the highlights on what I've changed and why:

1) I abandoned the idea of aggravated damage (same with vamps above and others to come) since tracking multiple types of damage with different healing rates is a pain. Instead aggravated damage does more (or a lot more) damage. Against fully Crinos'ed out wolves silver bullets do x3 damage on top of any other wound modifiers (ouch).

2) I've been using KYOS, so ST16 (2d thr) does more damage than ST20 (2d-1 thr) would otherwise with similar lifting ability. Furthermore, each ST+1 adds +1 damage making extra ST even more valuable. These werewolves aren't weaker, they just a few less HP.

3) I reduced them down to 2 extra forms and eliminated using ATR to speed up transformations. Basically the other 2 forms weren't needed. Glabro was taken care of by folding some healing ability back into human/wolf. Hispo is a big wolf, which you can be anyway if you prefer not having a more normal wolf form. Without less need for instant transformations, I ditched the whole rage ATR mechanic in favor of a flat 2 fatigue/use Extra Attack.

4) A combination of Stays On +20% and paying full points for the most expensive form means it really doesn't matter which form is your "base" form. It also fixes the "I revert when passed out" which is problematic for passing out after partying, getting KO'ed, too much fatigue loss, or being sedated for any reason if your form isn't human. Sleep overs can be a real doozy when you revert to a 9' wolfman after nodding off.

5) Born Biter trades of being able to bite/grapple bigger targets with making your face easier to hit. Wolves can wrap their mouth around arms and legs of an SM+0 human. Crinos form bite to grapple your head or torso at full ST.

6) Human form is for interaction (tools, people). Crinos is for combat (and usually berserking). Wolf form has the sense and move.

7) I did not include Garou [3] as a language. It never really came up and Wolf form can't technically use it anyway.

8) I waffled on Speak w/Wolves, but fundamentally the cost of the wolf template doesn't matter. You can keep it or remove it. Animal Empathy already essentially allows you to treat wolves like people, so this trait probably isn't necessary.

9) Jumper (step sideways) can, occasionally, be used for something other than moving the plot along so I included it at a minimal point cost. Note that the Nature PM means that you have lots of penalties trying to activate carrying or around technology. Burning fatigue to offset those penalties while spirit walking out of prison isn't a big deal. Burning all your fatigue to break into a high-tech lab will likely exhaust you and leave you in a dangerous place.

10) Human and wolf forms heal 1 HP per hour while Crinos heals 1 HP per second. Of course, hanging out in a monster form is a good way to invite reasons for others to attack you which can be counter productive to healing. YMMV

Last edited by naloth; 12-17-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
aesir23

Very nice. I'm working on a similar(ish) project here. Mine's not directly based on WoD, but definitely inspired by it.

Have you worked out Disciplines and Gifts yet?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post

1) The ER/Blood Pool is gone. Basically it was a crutch to do things like the White Wolf system, but it's largely unnecessary because GURPS already comes with a few pools that you can deplete. With this template Vampires burn HP directly. Vampires will tend to have extra HP (massless) representing extra durability and supernatural power. Having extra HP rather than ER makes vamps harder to kill without having to take actions to self heal
which also plays better.
This was an interesting choice, but I suspect it will have an unintended consequence--Players will be a lot more wary about spending HP to fuel powers since it literally brings them closer to death, even with the Extra HP.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
naloth

WoD Wraith (100 points)

[20] Doesn't Breathe
[10] Doesn't Eat or Drink
[ 0] Feature: Affected by True Faith
[ 0] Feature: May buy up TK at 2.5/lvl (GM limited).
[ 0] Feature: Not affected by fatigue (doesn't have, doesn't use, like a machine)
[48] Insubstantial (Usually On, 1 HP/sec to turn off -40%)
[28] Invisibility (Only while Insubstantial -10%; Only to Substantial -20%)
[ 2] Night Vision 2
[ 1] Perk: May use HP for Extra Effort
[ 1] Perk: Shadow (offers negative CP for impulse buys)
[50] Possession (Costs 1 HP/min -10%; Only mundane target -20%; Spiritual -20%)
[ 5] TK 2 (Animation -20%; Only possessed targets -30%)

[-25] Dead Broke (Must by any gear as signature gear)
[-30] Dependency (Mortal Tether; Common; Daily)
[-10] Dread (Salt)

Total: 100 points

Notes: Wraith is a bit more of a deviation than vamps or werewolves, but in ways that makes them fit a bit better than non-Wraith characters. If you're not running a game of just spirits, it's good to build in ways for the ghosts to interact with the other PCs. With that in mind:

1) I made possession and manifestation part of the default template. This was to give ghosts limited ways to interact with the material world. Naturally buying upgrades will allow them to interact easier.

2) Wraiths heal like a normal human, but need to burn HP to do much of anything. Wraiths only lose HP by choice (powering abilities), being injured by while manifesting (making it doubly dangerous to do), and also by losing their mortal tether. Being a Wraith is a game of resource management.

3) While all the PCs could be Wraiths, it's more likely it will be a mixed party or that any Wraith will be an Ally, Enemy, or Dependent.

4) TK limits the size and effect while possessing inanimate objects. I'd limit it to the Wraith's ST value and the effective skill by the Wraith's DX.

5) Wraiths can physically interact with anything on the spirit plane.

6) Wraith tethers (aka fetters) can be a person, place, or thing. Any tether that's is a person should either an ally or dependent. Places restrict a Wraith's mobility. Things encourage the wraith to take an interest in whomever possesses it. Regardless, if the tether is lost or destroyed a Wraith's dependency will soon cause it to die as well.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Very nice. I'm working on a similar(ish) project here. Mine's not directly based on WoD, but definitely inspired by it.
I'll definitely take a look.

Quote:
Have you worked out Disciplines and Gifts yet?
Yes, I'll start posting those after the templates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
This was an interesting choice, but I suspect it will have an unintended consequence--Players will be a lot more wary about spending HP to fuel powers since it literally brings them closer to death, even with the Extra HP.
Effectively that was already the case - when you can only heal using ER you guard it like it's HP.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
naloth

WoD Demon (200 points)

[66] Affliction (Manifest Powers, see below +600%; Melee, no parry -35%; Selectivity +10%; Self Only -20%)
[18] Detect (Directed Prayers; Analyzing +100%; Long Range +100%; Reflexive +40%; Reliable 4 +20%)
[16] DR 4 (No Signature +20%; Tough Skin -40%)
[ 0] Feature: Affected by True Faith
[ 0] Feature: Demons may be Extra Life at 25pts each
[10] Hard to Kill +5
[30] Immune to Mind Control
[80] Possession (Assimilation +10%; Humans Only -20%; Limit 2/Day -30%; Ranged +40%)
[25] Regeneration (Regular)

[-10] Frightens Animals
[-15] Obsession (*selected during creation)
[-20] Secret (Demon)

Total: 200 points

Manifest Powers
During PC creation pick one (30 point) package from:
- Armored (DR 10; CWA -40%)
- Camouflage (Chameleon 3; Controllable +20%; Dynamic +40%; Extended: Radar, Infra +40%)
- Dark Vision (Colors +20%)
- Extra Attack (Multi-Strike +20%)
- Flight (Winged -25%)
- Healing
- Luck (Extraordinary)
- Shakes off Damage (DR10; No Signature +20%; Tough Skin -40%; Unreliable 11 -20%)

Also pick another three (10 point) packages from:
- Dragon Breath (Natural Weapon, Thr Burning; Cannot Parry -40%; Cone 4yd base +90%; Hidden +20%; Intangible +50%; Single -20%)
- Gaping Maw (Natural Weapon, Thr Corrosive; Cannot Parry -40%: Hidden +20%; Single +20%)
- Horns (Natural Weapon Large Pi x2; Cannot Parry -40%; Linked +10%; Resilient +10%; Single -20%)
- Lifebane Aura (IA: Toxic 1d; Area, 2yds +50%; Aura; Melee -30%: Respiratory +50%)
- Miasma (Obscure 5; Always One -50%; Defense +50%)
- Supernatural Appearance (Social Regard 2; Feared)
- Supernatural Durability (DR10; Ablative -80%)
- Talons (Natural Weapon, Thr Cut or Thr Impaling +20%)
- Word of Power (Rapier Wit; Word of Power +100%)

Notes: Like Wraith it's a challenge to convert either Demon version to GURPS. Here's what I chose and why:

1) The Manifest Powers (aka Apocalypse Form) typically are 4 normal and 4 optional torment abilities of which you can only ever use 3 torment abilities at a time. In the DtF game using torment abilities means you're either on your way to go all bad (NPC) or that you're allowing yourself to be pushed in that direction. I didn't really capture that here, but largely because GURPS doesn't have a simple corruption mechanic. I toyed with the corruption limitation, but I'm largely not happy using that either. Eventually I settled on taking 4 packages (one 30 points and three 10 point) as part of an Affliction so you could activate whichever ones you want with a HT check to determine the duration. These represent the 4 celestial gifts that you can safely use.

2) Demons can't really survive on this plane outside a body so giving them a spirit form seemed like a waste of points. Instead, these are creatures of thought and power that move from one body or another. If the demon cannot shift to a new human body before the current one is destroyed, the demon is out of the campaign (dispersed, banished, imprisoned, etc). Naturally you can use any backup body you have on hand to avoid this as well (aka Extra Life). Possession is upgraded with Ranged allowing you to target people you see rather than limited it to touch range.

3) Detect allows the demon to "hear" any thoughts or words directed at him (Hearing+4) regardless of distance. It's a bit of a stretch to use Detect, but a fair price for what it does and easier than trying to combine it with Mind-Reading (which would have modifiers to arrive at a similar price).

4) All Demons burn with passion. That can be for revenge (on whatever, for whatever), doing whatever they originally were created for, or even forgiveness (for whatever they perceive they are being punished for). That's represented by Obsession.

5) There's nothing innately bad about demons, although most demons are a bit deranged from what they have gone through, and also tend to possess people that have issues of their own.

6) Demons can adjust skills or even physical abilities a bit while possessing others. Otherwise a demon should use values on their character sheet effectively allowing the demon to shape the form subconsciously to his comfort. Game-wise it makes things easier with point values.

7) I may add a corruption mechanic later for taking on more abilities while gaining disadvantages to offset the abilities.

8) I used Affliction instead of just taking the abilities demons can manifest such that abilities have a time limit, can be selectively activated as needed, and for giving abilities to others (pacts). Demon the Fallen has a whole reveal, recruit, build your own cult vibe that I haven't quite decided if I want to implement that way.

Last edited by naloth; 12-17-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #9
patchwork

Heh. Welcome to 5th edition Vampire, which feels the same way about blood pool/energy reserve as you do.

Addiction really isn't the same as a blood bond. Is the lack of a blood bond mechanic for ghouls (and vampires etc) a deliberate choice?
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
Heh. Welcome to 5th edition Vampire, which feels the same way about blood pool/energy reserve as you do.
Huh, go figure.

Quote:
Addiction really isn't the same as a blood bond. Is the lack of a blood bond mechanic for ghouls (and vampires etc) a deliberate choice?
I hadn't really thought too much about it.

I'd rather not add the ability to enslave others to the vampire template (players will see it as license to do so). I suspect Blood Bonds are best represented by taking the victim as an Ally. If your character is the victim, it's probably a Duty owed to the one that bonded you.

Thoughts?

Tags
templates, world of darkness (not)