Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #41
ronom

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Sure... I've been prodding an idea for an AtE campaign and a T2K conversion will have a few things I'll need...
Since he created it before High Tech, it was and is an important modern military reference. Using this conversion and Zombies allowed me to do the "Biohazard" found in the T2KV2.2 "GPS Survey". If one wants a later timeline, use T2013 or the fan ones from the Twilight 2000 forums at juhlin.com.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #42
Z09SS

I may have to make a serious timeline edit.

When I started the first conversion to 3eR it wasn't yet an alternate history, and I tried to incorporate changes that kept the 1997 nuke exchange that still matched real world history. Thinking hard about it, this is really a 4e conversion of my 3eR conversion.

I can see that I must have given up on that when the 4e rules came out and reverted to the OG timeline in my mind if not on my pages.

I don't even own a copy of Twilight 2.0, so anything that appears similar is cribbed from other sources.

I was actively trying to reduce the duplication from stuff listed in High Tech, some things crept in because, as was stated, I started BEFORE HT came out.

You know, I don't think things like this are ever DONE.

I'm clearly going to have to make a mailing list and fire off updated copies as I respond to feedback.

Last edited by Z09SS; 10-17-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Extra thought
Z09SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #43
ronom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z09SS View Post
I may have to make a serious timeline edit.

When I started the first conversion to 3eR it wasn't yet an alternate history, and I tried to incorporate changes that kept the 1997 nuke exchange that still matched real world history. Thinking hard about it, this is really a 4e conversion of my 3eR conversion.

I can see that I must have given up on that when the 4e rules came out and reverted to the OG timeline in my mind if not on my pages.

I don't even own a copy of Twilight 2.0, so anything that appears similar is cribbed from other sources.

I was actively trying to reduce the duplication from stuff listed in High Tech, some things crept in because, as was stated, I started BEFORE HT came out.

You know, I don't think things like this are ever DONE.

I'm clearly going to have to make a mailing list and fire off updated copies as I respond to feedback.
You could have both timelines like
Infinite Worlds.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #44
Z09SS

Tentative Timeline Edit. Mostly an outline, here's your chance to hang meat on the bones!

The year the Cold War almost ended. Enough was apparently enough with the Soviet hardliners and Mikhail Gorbachev was found dead in his suite in East Berlin on October 6th. Without the intervention of the Russian leader, Chairman Erich Honecker cracked down on dissidents in East Germany in a manner reminiscent of Tiananmen Square.

Under pressure from the new Soviet leadership, Hungary remilitarizes its border.

To the terror of the Warsaw Pact and Soviet leadership, US weapons and doctrine work exactly as advertised in the Liberation of Kuwait. A crash program of defense modernization begins, increasing internal strife and causing violent crackdowns. NATO, distracted with their victory, does little more than complain to the UN.

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey, considered to be more hawkish than Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton, wins the Democrat presidential nomination and narrowly defeats President George Bush in the election. The realization among American voters that perhaps the Cold War was winding up, rather than down, sends an electoral message and an atmosphere allowing increased defense spending takes hold.

Despite a “no more Vietnams” message in his inaugural speech, President Kerrey approves a limited draft measure.
West Germany records an unprecedented number of border crossing attempts from East German, with an attendant increase in deaths.

While the crash modernization of the Soviet armed forces was bearing some fruit, it was also hollowing out the USSR economically, forcing them to crack down ever harder on their citizens and subject nations. Clearly something was coming to a head, but what and where was the question.

Please turn to page 23 of your Twilight 2000 Referee's Manual.

Last edited by Z09SS; 10-17-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Z09SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #45
Randyman

Quote:
Tentative Timeline Edit. Mostly an outline, here's your chance to hang meat on the bones!

The year the Cold War almost ended. Enough was apparently enough with the Soviet hardliners and Mikhail Gorbachev was found dead in his suite in East Berlin on October 6th. Without the intervention of the Russian leader, Chairman Erich Honecker cracked down on dissidents in East Germany in a manner reminiscent of Tiananmen Square.

Under pressure from the new Soviet leadership, Hungary remilitarizes its border.

To the terror of the Warsaw Pact and Soviet leadership, US weapons and doctrine work exactly as advertised in the Liberation of Kuwait. A crash program of defense modernization begins, increasing internal strife and causing violent crackdowns. NATO, distracted with their victory, does little more than complain to the UN.

Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey, considered to be more hawkish than Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton, wins the Democrat presidential nomination and narrowly defeats President George Bush in the election. The realization among American voters that perhaps the Cold War was winding up, rather than down, sends an electoral message and an atmosphere allowing increased defense spending takes hold.

Despite a “no more Vietnams” message in his inaugural speech, President Kerrey approves a limited draft measure. There is much speculation that the new selective service act is, perhaps, racist in its selection; however domestic crime rates are down severely in the wake. Some noted sociologists suggest that the people drafted were exclusively from a strata that tended towards crime and gang affiliations, and were simply being given a new gang to associate with. “Gang in Green” becomes a popular, if unofficial, motto of the US Army.
West Germany records an unprecedented number of border crossing attempts from East German, with an attendant increase in deaths.

While the crash modernization of the Soviet armed forces was bearing some fruit, it was also hollowing out the USSR economically, forcing them to crack down ever harder on their citizens and subject nations. Clearly something was coming to a head, but what and where was the question.

Please turn to page 23 of your Twilight 2000 Referee's Manual.
So why did the USSR go at it with China in this timeline? And how does the existing economic strain on the USSR play out into the increased strain of the war with China?

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #46
Z09SS

Excellent question. Does it say on page 23 of the Referee's Manual?

I'd always assumed that they got into a spat about resources on their mutual border.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #47
Randyman

Quote:

I'd always assumed that they got into a spat about resources on their mutual border.
The Ref's Manual only mentions "a period of increasing tension and escalating border incidents". One speculation I can think of is that the Chinese got nervous about the USSR's buildup. A nervous border becomes a contested border very quickly.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #48
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

Access to warm-water ports in the Pacific? China's been building up islands and naval bases and such.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #49
Z09SS

Something else that comes up... and it goes in hand with the complaint that there's a lack of civilian guns in both the original and my conversion.

What IS the most popular hunting gun in Europe and what caliber is most common?

Making the Win 70 in .30-06 representational probably is incorrect.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #50
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Access to warm-water ports in the Pacific? China's been building up islands and naval bases and such.
As we used to say on the pool table, "Too much green in between." The warm-water Pacific ports are a long way across China from the USSR's border. Even a drive south from the Pacific coast of Siberia would need to take a lot of land before hitting a suitable port.

Unless there was a detour to take Inchon....

Tags
2000, gurps, high-tech, twilight