Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #41
mburr0003

Default Re: Pulling Your Punches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanis View Post
The dwarf who has Bad Temper, Berserk, Blood Lust, No Sense of Humour, Sadism (you get the idea)...
You might want to let the Player of this character into a little secret, next time just take Terminally Ill and set how many in game months he wants the PC to live, because that's what Bad Temper+Berserk is, just with less points and more constraints...

And I'd advise the GM to never allow Sadism on a PC, unless they are supposed to be evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanis View Post
These are all really good ideas, will float them to the DM.
Just tell your GM to make an account here and float questions directly. We can get them up to speed on how to keep the game simple without wildly skewing things like making all the Mooks have HP 5 and Fragile.

(A better way for that particular encounter is to just make them unarmored, poorly armed, HP 10, and just rest assured that the murder-hobo dwarf was going to kill someone... if not several someone's and a party member to boot.)
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 01:10 AM   #42
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
(A better way for that particular encounter is to just make them unarmored, poorly armed, HP 10, and just rest assured that the murder-hobo dwarf was going to kill someone... if not several someone's and a party member to boot.)
Of course the dwarf is going to kill someone.

Bad Temper to get him started.
Berserk to keep him from stopping.
Bloodlust to ensure that 'enemies' get put down hard and permanent.

Its like Riggs from the first Lethal Weapon...'ever meet anyone you didn't kill?'
Old 01-11-2023, 04:54 AM   #43
Jhanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Exactly who in this scenario is reporting these details? As reported no one has ever come back or been heard from again.
You know, I had that same thought. I did the Jack Sparrow "So then where do all the stories come from I wonder?" I can only assume there was someone stood outside when the doors slammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Very curious how the GM represented the crit-fail on your diplomacy manifesting, like wouldn't the GM tell you how you misphrased something that rubbed them the wrong way?

Anyway it seems like if they stand up, you could probably get a new kind of diplomacy roll if you began grappling the dwarf and pulling him out of the bar.

Standing your ground is basically like "my dwarf buddy attacked your friend yet he has the right of ground and you should retreat from your own bar"\\
Well there were a few things, first they all said "Kill the stubby git!" and, like I say, it was a combat tutorial so at best they would have followed us or threw a bottle and pretty much forfeiting our turn, so they get the hits in first. Also, the rogue (the newbie) had climbed to the rafters and was taking aim with a crossbow. lol

Quote:
I grok the impulse to want to smash someone rude but recognize that sometimes this is indiscernable from an abuse in power. If we embrace the idea that we can smash someone for rudeness then the question remains who gets to decide on what is rude.
Generally, the guys who are armed, and willing to smash someone for being rude. Haha

Quote:
You might want to let the Player of this character into a little secret, next time just take Terminally Ill and set how many in game months he wants the PC to live, because that's what Bad Temper+Berserk is, just with less points and more constraints...
Yeah, we do tend to start falling into the "crippled, terminally ill, deaf, blind, dwaf, demi-god" character builds. But like I say, up till this point we've only ever played bad guys, often murder hobos. Our next game we are good guys, and the DM doesn't think we are up to it, reckons it'll only be a few games before someone relapses and just murders someone. So I'm using this to try out how to play a good character.....well, a grey one at least. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew, first time out. Heh

Quote:
And I'd advise the GM to never allow Sadism on a PC, unless they are supposed to be evil.

Just tell your GM to make an account here and float questions directly. We can get them up to speed on how to keep the game simple without wildly skewing things like making all the Mooks have HP 5 and Fragile.

He might already have an account on here and be reading through this thread, I dunno. He can be shy. lmao
Jhanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #44
malloyd

Quote:
Very curious how the GM represented the crit-fail on your diplomacy manifesting, like wouldn't the GM tell you how you misphrased something that rubbed them the wrong way?.
Incidentally this might be another place you should mention a rule to the GM. One of the advantages to Diplomacy vs. other influence skills is that screwing it up doesn't automatically lead to a Bad reaction (p.B359) (and even then Bad isn't normally bad [enough] to guarantee a fight against an obviously superior oppenent like a bunch of fully armed PCs vs a group of farmers p.B560). Yeah the point here is to have a fight to teach the mechanics, so predetermined reaction might come into play, but in a more normal situation, you really should have gotten a normal reaction roll after screwing up your Diplomacy check and taken the better of the two results. That should have avoided a fight on a roll of 10 (or possibly 7) or better - maybe better given that paladins often have some traits that give reaction bonuses.

Tags
holding back, mechanics, paladin, pull punches, pull your punches, subduing a foe, tactics