Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #101
dcarson

Default Re: (IW) Cyberpunk Worlds

There is or was a rental car company that had a cellphone governor so if you hadn't made payment that month the car stopped. Makes an interesting Disadvantage for a cyberpunk adventurer. Make money for the payments or things stop working.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:53 AM   #102
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
There is or was a rental car company that had a cellphone governor so if you hadn't made payment that month the car stopped. Makes an interesting Disadvantage for a cyberpunk adventurer. Make money for the payments or things stop working.
Things like your artificial heart, if the setting is grimdark enough.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #103
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I've heard that some car sales places do that also. Though as I recall, it won't turn the car off, it will just block it from starting, so you don't get stuck in the middle of the road.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #104
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I've heard that some car sales places do that also. Though as I recall, it won't turn the car off, it will just block it from starting, so you don't get stuck in the middle of the road.
I'll file that away for when I want to trap PCs somewhere in a modern setting.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #105
Flaco76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll file that away for when I want to trap PCs somewhere in a modern setting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo_Men

In 2025, advancements in medical technology have perfected bio-mechanical organs. A corporation known as The Union sells these expensive "artiforgs" on credit, and when customers are unable or unwilling to pay for their artiforgs The Union sends "repo men" to locate and forcibly repossess the organ - invariably resulting in the death of the owner.
Flaco76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:47 AM   #106
WholesomeMadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
The cyberworld TL could be TL9+1 in programming and bio/cybertech which is of interest, if HL has progressed to TL 9 in these areas then its a single TL leap if theses areas are TL10 and if their developers are more human than machine of interest.
I, at the moment, call the Cyberworld parallel “One-And-Twenty”, is there a more apropos name for it or better yet an official designation? It is a reliable source of HIV/AIDS vaccines [for domestic use if Resistant to Disease (+8) doesn’t take care of it or for trading] and my PC’s home crosstime colony is aiding the True Americans Party get firmly into power.
WholesomeMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:52 AM   #107
WholesomeMadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanus View Post
Skill Chips could revolutionalise training and Homeline Education.
Yes, agreed training, education, & inoculation (“the enemy indoctrinates, we inoculate.”).
Old 04-27-2023, 07:58 AM   #108
WholesomeMadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
And I guess they watched a ton of Elfen Lied
Like the sad songs the elves sing.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #109
WholesomeMadScientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
GURPS Lost Worlds also references Combine, a timeline with robotic armored vehicles. I think that world is supposed to be the GURPS Autoduel world.
In the 2e Autoduel book pg. 124, the Autoduel parallel is called “Autoduel-1”.

My Colony would go to town in it for Biotech (in particular cloning & mind-transfer tech) and “The Essentials” (animes/tokusatsus/etc.). They’ll definitely be infiltrating the Republic of Texas, with plans to eventually take it over, and send it the supplies it sorely needs.

Autoduel-1 would also serve as a place to send their armed forces to gain real world experience.

Last edited by WholesomeMadScientist; 04-29-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:54 PM   #110
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholesomeMadScientist View Post
In the 2e Autoduel book pg. 124, the Autoduel parallel is called “Autoduel-1”.

My Colony would go to town in it for Biotech (in particular cloning & mind-transfer tech) and “The Essentials” (animes/tokusatsus/etc.). They’ll definitely be infiltrating the Republic of Texas, with plans to eventually take it over, and send it the supplies it sorely needs.

Autoduel-1 would also serve as a place to send their armed forces to gain real world experience.
Would Autoduel be considered a "Hell World" as the Infinite Worlds sourcebook calls it?:
Quote:
Hell Worlds
Hell parallels are those on which humanity is dead, devastated, or dwindling to extinction. Usually, the Earth’s surface, climate, and ecology also bear horrific scars.
Or is it not really some sort of post-apoc worldline like say Lenin-2 is?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, cyberworld, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited