Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2020, 01:14 AM   #31
(E)

Default Re: [GAME] Synthesise a Cybercity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
<SNIP>
I'm also working on the assumption that the N is the above water part attached to a wider submarine island shelf, with that 12 mile radius. Does that sound reasonable?
I feel there should be a small area of the ocean floor or surface that due to legal distances or historic treaties not mixing well with real world geography, ends up occupying some kind of weird international legal limbo.

Maybe YOU-topia has moved from it's original legal position?
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:06 AM   #32
Daigoro

I meant that as in a floating, artificial island shelf that the city is affixed to. As a sea stead it would probably have been built in international waters.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #33
Daigoro

Now I get to wow you with my expert-level skill in graphic design.

There are 2 maps up here on Imgur.

Ver 1.0 shows the original artificial island shelf I was thinking of, just a circular platform.

Ver 2.0 brings it in a bit closer to the shoreline, but I've added some projections which I'm thinking would support OTEC platforms. Gold & Appel said there was hydroelectric power, it might mean this. However, I suspect OTEC might require much larger area platforms for generating power. Note that it's also useful for generating fresh water, air conditioning and mariculture.

I haven't added a key yet, so I'll explain a couple of the features.

- The red crosses are locations of (E)'s constructor transmission towers. 5 of these, one in the centre, the others spaced near the corners of the N.

- Breakwalls in front of the 2 harbour entrances. These stop waves from entering the harbours and disturbing boats or the shoreline there. I'm thinking to add more around the rest of the coastline, and the harbours would realistically probably need walls across them as well. The channels between walls are about 800 yards across. They might also mount wind farms or armaments.

- NeuroTech Plaza, NeuroTech's HQ, is on the original site of the lower-right transmission tower.

The vertical blocks of land in the N are 12x5 miles high and across. The diagonal block is about 4 miles across its diagonal width. The harbours are 4 miles wide at the entrance and about 5.5 miles deep. The island shelf extends about 1.5 miles out from the periphery of the N.

I think there should be a pattern for urban planning along these lines.
- The lower harbour, under the "knee" of the N, and the bottom-left foot and left leg extending up to the knee are the heavy industry areas.

- The knee is a commercial and residential nexus for the working class, with the bulk of the HDR residential zone.

- The cross-diagonal down to the "elbow" supports commercial and light industrial areas, with an intermix of MDR and HDR zones.

- The elbow of the N is the commercial, finance and business nexus, with corporate high-rise residential towers. Neurotech's HQ is located here in a skyline dominating 600 metre, 100 storey high tower.

- Moving up to the "head" of the N in the top right, we get lower density luxury housing, corporate estates, high-end commercial, exclusive hotels and restaurants, parkland and so on.

- The upper harbour, nestling into the elbow of the N, is more for commercial, leisure and private maritime, especially along the right-hand shoreline. Passenger ferries and cruise ships would dock along the left shoreline.

Is that all okay so far?

A couple of considerations regarding previous answers.

- (E)'s Old Ways submarine dock- did you see them as docking with the undersurface of the city or making their way into the harbour normally after traversing the sea canyon below?

- (E)'s algae processing harbour would either have to use the lower harbour, or come in to some other point on the foot of the N.

- Maybe the Central Neuron Fabrication Area would be on the cross-diagonal, adjacent to the knee harbour?

- The Reef of permanently tangled boats, rafts and seasteads I'm not sure about. Maybe in a portion of the knee harbour, or we could add additional cutaway harbours up the foot and leg of the N. It's unlikely to be a single unbroken 12 miles of shoreline.

Are there any other contradictions or complications?
Old 12-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Question 27 [CTY]
Understanding that NeuroTech owns the city, who (or what) governs it?
Youtopia is technically a territory of the Union of Argalese Islands, but as the Argalese don't grant citizenship to immigrants, rule is generally through international treaties the "home nations" of the multi-generational immigrants make with the UAI. Day to day rule is by an appointed council worked out internationally. Which is to say the inhabitants have only indirect say in who rules them and their ability to influence it is tied to the origin of their great-grandparents and political winds in a country they don't live in.

Question 32:
What is the highest point in Youtopia?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #35
Tyneras

@Daigoro

I can see the long outside edges of the N having a triangular or square sawtooth pattern, with more unique cutouts and projections on the smaller and insider edges. The sharpness of all of these would likely erode as time marched on.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #36
(E)

Answer 32[CITY]
What is the highest point in Youtopia?

YOU-topia's highest point is at times simple hundred story building but there is a skyline dominating twist.
Using technology and materials acquired from the asset stripping of the failed space elevator pioneer StellaTzar a hybrid engineered building that is partially supported by traditional engineering and partially supported by lighter than air balloons. Though that description fails to do this retractable feat of construction justice.

Smart materials move to handle changes in wind while the penthouses of the ultra rich drift up and down to get the best views. Some utilitarian LOS based communication and control systems also sit here and there.

Question 33[CITY/SET]
Presumably YOU-topia has the equivalent of an airport. What is it?
Old 12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #37
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question 33[CITY/SET]
Presumably YOU-topia has the equivalent of an airport. What is it?
Answer 33[CITY/SET]
YOU-Topia's equivalent to an airport is, in fact, an airport. Amazing how little changes in transportation in 300 years.

The YOU-Topia Intercontinetal Airport is located in the Upper Harbour, on a smaller artificial island. The airport has three runways, one at 2.4 km for smaller planes and flights to the mainland, and two at 6 km for intercontinental flights. There are three major buildings in YOU-Topia Intercontinental Airport:
-> The Central Terminal, with 61 boarding gates, 16 of which can handle the Preston Frontier 117-MAX.
-> The Discretionary Concourse, with 19 gates for narrow body planes. Has an excellent soul food restaurant.
-> Ocean's Gate, which has facilities to serve seaplanes, though that isn't the main attraction. It contains office space for most of the airlines that operate out of YTA, as well as a mooring tower for airships to/from the Dark Sky Aerostat.

Question 34[SET]
What are the most recent innovations in aerospace?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Question 12 [CTY]: What are the kinds of things that don't appear on the land use reports?
This should be a name five or something. Is hard to come up with everything all at once, but lots of little things can add good color.

Speaking of adding color:

Answer 12a:
There are many informal "Art Galleries" where generations of graffitti has been built up and preserved. These are notably not on land use reports, but can greatly influence the character of a neighborhood.

Question 35: Where on the N is "The Reef"?
Question 36: What is the state of transportation in youtopia? What kinds are common? how good is public transport?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #39
(E)

Answer 25 [CTY]*What's the reputation of law-enforcement in YOU-Topia?

Law enforcement in You-Topia is divided up into two distinct groups. Civilian Policing which is largely focused on the day to day humdrum issues of the population (C-Po) and the seperate Commercial Investigation and Enforcement Unit which is an investigation centered organisation focusing on corporate interests.

The C-Po has a reputation of being good at overwhelming force but weak at any follow up or investigation work. Their reputation for corruption is largely well merited but leveraging that can be difficult as the methods required to pay off someone vary greatly between policing districts.

The CIEU has a reputation of being relentless, but understaffed. It's difficult to get their attention but heaven help you if you do.

Question 37 [CITY][HISTORY]
C-Po used to use "Universal Roaming Secuity, Utility and Service Serviters" in their duties and the transition back to largely human based policing has been identified as the start of many of C-Po's problems.
What was the issue and what are "Universal Roaming Secuity, Utility and Service Serviters"?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #40
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Question 35: Where on the N is "The Reef"?
Answer 35 [CTY] - Locations: The Reef
The Reef covers the area of Ports E and F of the Lower Harbour (see updated Map 2.1), while jutting somewhat out into the harbour as well. Port E is known for its former sea-mech hangar, with a single decaying Model VII looming over the port. Port F was for standard container operations, but those operations were wound down as the Reef became more entrenched and dominant.

---
Question 38 [CTY][MAP][Open] - Locations
What are the map locations of other previously named locations and districts?

So far I've got:
- Cutaway ports labelled A-P, inside the Lower Harbour and up the outside of the leg of the N. I might add some bays and marinas to the Upper Harbour.
- The algal plume processing harbour, as Port H on the outside of the foot of the N.
- The airport, at the top of the Upper Harbour. (I'm still working on the airport terminal details.)

And there's a resolution problem with the map at the moment, but hopefully I can fix it. Kinda fixed. Better than before.

Last edited by Daigoro; 12-13-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Tags
collaborative setting, cyberpunk, setting, world building