Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 06-03-2024, 11:01 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default June 4, 2024: Forging A Weird Future

June 4, 2024: Forging A Weird Future

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:43 AM   #2
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: June 4, 2024: Forging A Weird Future

As yes, The Onion. I remember those days when satire was crazier than reality. Now....

(Oh. I need to remember this rule: "Politics. This forum is not for discussing controversial, hot-button issues that tend to turn into angry debates." Nevermind.)

'If you create futuristic tabletop RPG settings or alternate histories, an easy way to establish the future is to make up a design aesthetic and say, "Yep, this is what folks are doing now. In the future."'

On an alternate history note, I'm currently working on a Sekrit Project that deals with an alternate Earth. I've come up with a number of aspects of history and popular culture (music, fashion, social norms), but haven't thought specifically about a design aesthetic. I'll give that some thought!
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:09 PM   #3
DeadParrot

I liked the Aero-glass UI of Win 7.

When I remodeled my last house, I found the woodwork had 4 layers of paint, from newest to oldest: White, White, Green, Tan. The house was build in 1942 so I guess Tan was the in thing then. Or what paint was leftover after wartime restrictions limited production. The carpet was a mix of shag tan, shag green and shag orange/red. Sense a theme? The carpet was likely from the 60s judging by wear.

For your future homes, do allow for those folks that only replace something when it dies instead of doing a wholesale replace everything. Your house could have a new fridge with a clear door to see what's inside without opening(the NEW thing), a stainless microwave, a green oven and a set of autumn gold wash/dryer.

A more fashion conscious home might have everything with clear doors.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:50 PM   #4
Anthony

Weird style/design aesthetics are also a good way to make an AE distinctive. For example, everyone from the evil mirror universe has a goatee :)

Actually, coming up with a signature weirdness is probably an easy trick, even though there should really be lots of things where something could have been done differently and just wasn't.
Old 06-05-2024, 11:35 AM   #5
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
A more fashion conscious home might have everything with clear doors.
A clear door for the front door, back door, bedroom door, bathroom door.... :-D
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote