Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 06-09-2024, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default June 10, 2024: Questions Three: Sean Punch

June 10, 2024: Questions Three: Sean Punch

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: June 10, 2024: Questions Three: Sean Punch

Thank you, Sean! I'm complimented to see two of my books so honored.

My current GURPS campaign is somewhat like one of your campaign proposals. It's a soap opera/telenovela/slice of life series set on Mars. Its player characters are from a family that isn't quite in the power elite but is making its way into it, with plans to build the anchor hotel for a new arm of Pavonis Portal. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:39 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Thank you, Sean! I'm complimented to see two of my books so honored.
You are most welcome!

I'm not currently running a campaign, but I confess that were I to start one, I have an inexplicable desire to run a mostly realistic municipal procedural set in 2024. The players would each get to run a public-sector official (city manager, deputy mayor, police chief, whatever), a private-sector VIP (director of a charitable foundation, major business owner, president of a university, prominent activist, . . . heck, even the local archbishop if somebody thought that would be fun), and a street-level character, with the caveat that they have to be from three different backgrounds (so, if you play the chief of police, you can't play a cop on the street, and if you play the archbishop, you can't play the parish priest who runs the soup kitchen).

I'd use your GURPS City Stats to parametrize the city; Matt's GURPS Boardroom and Curia to parametrize each department, organization, business, and so on in the city; my own GURPS Social Engineering: Pulling Rank for rules covering how PCs call upon these; your GURPS Social Engineering to handle bribery, fundraisers, political campaigns, trials, and the like; and David's GURPS Mass Combat to game out gang wars, riots, violent protests, etc. I might bring in other GURPS Social Engineering supplements. I could also see using GURPS Action 9: The City for its simplifications and to bend "mostly realistic" at street level.

What's stopping me is a mixture of "zero free time for gaming," "no players anymore," and "the research and preparation give me nightmares." I can't see what I described being easy to set up and run! It'd call for hours of creating org charts, maps, rosters of organizations and people, etc., as well as multiple different types of game sessions for different subsets of players and characters. Yikes.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 12:41 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You are most welcome!

I'm not currently running a campaign, but I confess that were I to start one, I have an inexplicable desire to run a mostly realistic municipal procedural set in 2024. The players would each get to run a public-sector official (city manager, deputy mayor, police chief, whatever), a private-sector VIP (director of a charitable foundation, major business owner, president of a university, prominent activist, . . . heck, even the local archbishop if somebody thought that would be fun), and a street-level character, with the caveat that they have to be from three different backgrounds (so, if you play the chief of police, you can't play a cop on the street, and if you play the archbishop, you can't play the parish priest who runs the soup kitchen).

I'd use your GURPS City Stats to parametrize the city; Matt's GURPS Boardroom and Curia to parametrize each department, organization, business, and so on in the city; my own GURPS Social Engineering: Pulling Rank for rules covering how PCs call upon these; your GURPS Social Engineering to handle bribery, fundraisers, political campaigns, trials, and the like; and David's GURPS Mass Combat to game out gang wars, riots, violent protests, etc. I might bring in other GURPS Social Engineering supplements. I could also see using GURPS Action 9: The City for its simplifications and to bend "mostly realistic" at street level.

What's stopping me is a mixture of "zero free time for gaming," "no players anymore," and "the research and preparation give me nightmares." I can't see what I described being easy to set up and run! It'd call for hours of creating org charts, maps, rosters of organizations and people, etc., as well as multiple different types of game sessions for different subsets of players and characters. Yikes.
After Sinclair Lewis got negative reactions to Main Street from the people who lived in the city he based it on, he did something like that: making up the city of Zenith and the state of Winnemac for Babbitt and other novels. Apparently he did an amazingly detailed job. Unfortunately no one has published his material.

I did that kind of multicharacter roleplaying for one of my fantasy campaigns, Manse. Each player had four characters: a senior member of a lineage of aristocratic mages in an ancient castle surrounded by fey wilderness; a young member of such a lineage; a member of the castle guard force; and a servant. It was one of my most successful campaigns ever, though it took a very specific type of players; all my players were some of writers, fanfic writers, and performing artists.

A couple of cycles back I offered a campaign where all the player characters were managers in a small publisher that ran to scholarly books, art books, and occasional literary works. Not a single player had the slightest interest in it; they said it was too much like their daily lives. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
thorr-kan

Huh. Using those four GURPS books for a campaign sounds surprisingly like a tabletop wargame. Thus returning an RPG to one of the hobby's roots.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:26 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've run a game based on City-Stats and Mass Combat. Its certainly an experience. Its probably the most iconic and memorable game my group has ever played.

Of course, it was also a fantasy game, so not quite what some of you are talking about.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 08:13 PM   #7
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You are most welcome!

I'm not currently running a campaign, but I confess that were I to start one, I have an inexplicable desire to run a mostly realistic municipal procedural set in 2024.

I'd buy a copy as a campaign setting.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote