Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
Praxian

Default Virtual Table Tops?

From what I can see there aren't any VTT's out there that currently support any of SJGames RPG's.

Personally, I'm a big GURPS fan and have drug a few others in, but we're wanting to do a more VTT setup if possible. I know that The Foundry has mentioned they're working on something for GURPS, but won't comment on how it's coming along.

Personally, I'm super-excited to see VTT support GURPS. Are there anything other than The Foundry that supports it while I wait for them? Not a huge Roll20 fan but... any ideas guys?
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
DeadParrot

Default Re: Virtual Table Tops?

We are using Roll20 to run a TFT game. It doesn't directly support TFT but we make do. Roll20 claims hex grid support but when we first tried it, mostly didn't work. May be better now but we have figured out how to make square grid work. A nine square square works well enough as a 'mega hex' to get by. Setup macros for 2d6, 3d6, 4d6 and 5d6 and you have most of the TFT die rolls covered.

The VTT files from this series of KS campaigns work very well in Roll20: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ay/description

Our GM purchased a basic Roll20 account but the rest of us are using the free option.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Buzzardo

You could try Battlegrounds (http://battlegroundsgames.com/battle...s-rpg-edition/). It's from a GURPS player and a member of these forums (heruca). Since GURPS uses hexes, it should work.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Buzzardo

That same person maintains a VTT comparison chart, too: http://battlegroundsgames.com/vtt-comparison-chart/

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Celjabba

Fantasy Grounds, and I believe also FoundryVTT, have unofficial but very decent support for Gurps : interactive character sheets, import from GCA, some macros.

Just no official content.

And there are some great resources for TFT on Tabletop Simulator, including everything from Melee.

Myself, I have used Fantasy Grounds with success.

Last edited by Celjabba; 02-11-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
mook

All of the major VTTs can support GURPS gaming, albeit unofficially. Some of my experiences with FoundryVTT, Fantasy Grounds, and Roll20 and/or Discord can be found here.

There are also a number of VTT channels on the unofficial GURPS Discord with a lot of helpful Pins, particularly #chat-vtts-and-maps (and maybe #looking-for-group if you're seeking others).
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I'm a big fan of Tabletop Simulator. It doesn't have automation features for any ttrpg, but for me, that's a huge bonus, not a penalty.

You can print your characters to PDFs and load them into the virtual space. You can use one of countless workshop items to find the right figure for yourself, or you can use a token, or even go to Hero Forge, make a custom figure, then buy a Unity Asset for the figure to import directly into TTS.

Plus, right now, it's the Steam Lunar New Year sale, so it's on sale 50% off (so, only $10 instead of $20; or a pack of 4 for $30 instead of $60). Yes, everyone has to buy it to play, but that's it. If you want to use any DLC, only one person has to have it to load it and let you all play together.

If you want a virtual table you can play around, Tabletop Simulator is great. If you want a virtual table that will automate a lot of the game, it's not your friend.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
Praxian

Thanks for the responses guys!! Appreciate it. :)

I'm a big fan of Foundry but I will look into the rest.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

If you're used to playing with minis in meatspace, Tabletop Simulator is your best bet.

I picked these models up from Hero Forge for our GURPS Kingdom Hearts game.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
Praxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
If you're used to playing with minis in meatspace, Tabletop Simulator is your best bet.

I picked these models up from Hero Forge for our GURPS Kingdom Hearts game.
I don't do mini's normally, but I figure I can expand mine and my groups experiences a bit by doing something different. :) So far I've chosen Foundry because my players don't have to download anything and just connect via a website. Very very happy with it, LOTS of amazing resources with the software that I'm not breaking the bank with to try and pay to use.