Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day responds to Pothi, "Oh, that long? I've never served on a ship this large before, but I guess it makes sense that the bigger ships can handle longer travel. I certainly wouldn't complain if this was resolved without firing a shot."
Pothi: "Yeah, that's why we made such a big deal about leaving port: we aren't going to be coming back for a while. "

Will Daymar be placing a wager on when the first shot will be fired? they'll be wanting both day and time.

Quote:
Day is going to approach the cooks before breakfast while they're still preparing the meal. "Excuse me? I'm Daymar, I'm new on board, but I just wanted to thank you for all the excellent meals you've been preparing. An army marches on its stomach, even if it's a navy!" He'll approach each of the cooks, and look for an opportunity to touch the skin of each to use Suggestion - a hand shake would be the easiest, but if either of has on a short sleeved shirt a touch on the arm 'to get their attention' also works.
...
Once that's accomplished, he'll excuse himself saying, "Oh, I see that you're really busy, I'll get out of the way. Keep up the good work! Have a nice day!"

Edit: Success should be by 7 and 9 (base skill is 17, so the -1 for multiple subjects is absorbed before Rule of 16 is applied).
Day is able to duck in the kitchen fairly easily. His powers are weak, and he can only send general courses of action. He sends a suggestive pulse to the cooks to make breakfast without the additives. He can't be more specific, but the mental effect felt pretty strong.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:08 AM   #82
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Pothi: "Yeah, that's why we made such a big deal about leaving port: we aren't going to be coming back for a while. "

Will Daymar be placing a wager on when the first shot will be fired? they'll be wanting both day and time.
"Thanks for the info, I'll have to think about it a bit before placing my bet, but from what you say, I've got time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Day is able to duck in the kitchen fairly easily. His powers are weak, and he can only send general courses of action. He sends a suggestive pulse to the cooks to make breakfast without the additives. He can't be more specific, but the mental effect felt pretty strong.
Is Day able to determine with any confidence what is and isn't safe to eat at breakfast, then? With his powers starting to return, he doesn't want to re-contaminate his system.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 AM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Is Day able to determine with any confidence what is and isn't safe to eat at breakfast, then? With his powers starting to return, he doesn't want to re-contaminate his system.
It should all be safe. He kind of set off a reverse buddy system: if one of his suggestions had failed, the other cook would have made a huge fuss when the other guy blatantly left out the additives.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #84
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It should all be safe. He kind of set off a reverse buddy system: if one of his suggestions had failed, the other cook would have made a huge fuss when the other guy blatantly left out the additives.
Well, that's a relief. How many points worth of powers will have returned by lunch time? I'm thinking it will be enough for Suggestion 2.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #85
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Well, that's a relief. How many points worth of powers will have returned by lunch time? I'm thinking it will be enough for Suggestion 2.
27 points of powers. It's 3 points per 2 hours.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #86
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
27 points of powers. It's 3 points per 2 hours.
Okay, that means it will be ~25 1/3 hours until he has recovered all powers, so 4 more meals.

Knowing that some people are likely to eat quickly and go, Day will work a bit past noon if Pothi will let him get away with it, and walks as slowly as he dares to the mess. To capture Pothi's attention (and distract him from the prospect of food), while they walk Day will ask him about Zorbani popular culture that he knows Pothi has strong opinions about.

[36] 20-09-02 00:22:05 CEST

Current Affairs (Zorbani Pop Culture) to come up with a subject that will engage Pothi's attention.

3d6 <= 16
5 + 1 + 1 = 7 ... success

Although he considers another visit to the kitchen, it might be viewed as suspicious, so he tries to find a table with few people, and scopes out the meal for psi-contaminants. How many people are seated near him?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 09-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #87
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Someone found in a reasonable location without a buddy will be officially reprimanded by most Sergant-level people who see them, and escorted back to their section, but that's as far as it goes, unless you do something to really arouse suspicion.
So what really arouse suspicion? Obviously high security areas or being caught starting a fire would apply, but would something more questionable count? i.e. being out after lights out or on the wrong floor? Would elevators necessarily be a suspicious area? Are there alternative paths between floors (i.e. stairs?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Botha would probably have to be left for 10 to 20 minutes before she really got her dander up and reported you. You think. If you want more information on her expected behavior, that will have to be earned in play.
Well, I suppose I could just up and ask her. Just a matter of naturally working it into conversation. Maybe try to develop an outward persona of being really cautious or something. Throw it into a dozen odd questions asking about disaster planning or something, maybe disguising it as "What if we were separated, then I got injured and stuck somewhere hidden? How long before someone would start looking for me?"

Either that or just slowly start pushing things and see how long before Botha responds. That might draw unwanted attention though.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #88
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, that means it will be ~25 1/3 hours until he has recovered all powers, so 4 more meals.

Knowing that some people are likely to eat quickly and go, Day will work a bit past noon if Pothi will let him get away with it, and walks as slowly as he dares to the mess. To capture Pothi's attention (and distract him from the prospect of food), while they walk Day will ask him about Zorbani popular culture that he knows Pothi has strong opinions about.

[36] 20-09-02 00:22:05 CEST

Current Affairs (Zorbani Pop Culture) to come up with a subject that will engage Pothi's attention.

3d6 <= 16
5 + 1 + 1 = 7 ... success

Although he considers another visit to the kitchen, it might be viewed as suspicious, so he tries to find a table with few people, and scopes out the meal for psi-contaminants. How many people are seated near him?

I rolled fast-talk as well, as the pop culture is not enough to talk someone into doing something... though it certainly can help.



Pothi is hungry today. He's anxious to get to lunch. "Its time to eat! stop dragging your feet! we can talk about it on the way! Did breakfast make you sick or something?" He walks briskly towards the mess hall.



Daymar picks out a show with a controversial ending sounds out Pothi for a reaction. He gets one, but it fails to slow down the hungry spacer.


"come on, I've been on my feet all day!"


OCC: I feel somewhat conflicted about the roll: on the one hand, I don't want to slow the game down just asking you to make rolls in a two or three day exchange. On the other hand, you had a very minor chance to fail... and you didn't get to roll it. Let me know how you want that handled in the future
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #89
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So what really arouse suspicion? Obviously high security areas or being caught starting a fire would apply, but would something more questionable count? i.e. being out after lights out or on the wrong floor? Would elevators necessarily be a suspicious area? Are there alternative paths between floors (i.e. stairs?)
For you, there really is no "wrong floor", as you are in transportation. There is no "lights out", either: the ship runs 3 shifts, and "Day" is merely the shift the captain commands directly. The elevators are not a suspicious area because they are high traffic.

So its a good question. Hanging around areas that have a purpose other than storage of "boring" equipment are probably the most likely. You can move into an empty hydrogen brick storage room and no one will blink. If you set up shop right next to the missile warheads, that's suspicious. Setting up in a working area is a no-go, of course.

Hanging around near the food will get you reprimanded, and likely more steps will be taken, but you are assumed to be trying to steal food, which is a minor offense compared to being a suspected enemy combatant. You're most likely to have to work extra hours of unpleasant work and be assigned someone vigilant to keep an eye on you. (yes, you already have someone vigilant. But then they'd be on alert, and someone like Daymar is enjoying a degree of freedom with Pothi. I suppose you could try to get assigned to a new buddy...)

Quote:
Well, I suppose I could just up and ask her. Just a matter of naturally working it into conversation. Maybe try to develop an outward persona of being really cautious or something. Throw it into a dozen odd questions asking about disaster planning or something, maybe disguising it as "What if we were separated, then I got injured and stuck somewhere hidden? How long before someone would start looking for me?"

Either that or just slowly start pushing things and see how long before Botha responds. That might draw unwanted attention though.

Either option is perfectly reasonable for any spacer in your situation. Or even asking her to relax a little. Which approach would you like to take?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-02-2020 at 07:42 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:40 AM   #90
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is no "lights out", either: the ship runs 3 shifts, and "Day" is merely the shift the captain commands directly.
Well, I'm thinking of the case where my buddy's asleep and I'm loafing around a dozen floors above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Either option is perfectly reasonable for any spacer in your situation. Or even asking her to relax a little. Which approach would you like to take?
Well, let's go ahead with the wave of questions strategy. What do I need to roll?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.