Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Cellphone app for tracking mags and reloads?

Hello!

So... I love dealing with details such as what kind of ammo you have in your mags, and the fact that if you shove a half loaded mag in your gun you're only gonna have half ammo, and you have to have a break from fighting to load ammo from a box of rounds into individual magazines.

Is there a phone app that allows to track what's in the chamber and in the mags? Would make tracer rounds useful to give you a rough idea of how much ammo you've shot (I think every 5th round in a mag and the last 3 rounds are tracers, but I may have the wrong numbers). Should someone not follow procedure, they should make a Soldier roll to figure out their gun's working fine, the mag's just dry (on both sides of the fight. NPCs have to roll too.).

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Cellphone app for tracking mags and reloads?

Tracer mix is certainly a method some people use, as to realising that your weapon has run dry, that can depend on the weapon: some stand open when empty (the L85 certainly does) whilst others, like the AK family, simply close on an empty chamber. Soldier seems an appropriate skill, as might any weapon skill since either should teach you to understand your weapon and know the relevant immediate actions for it.
Also, some designs of magazine have features that allow you to see how many rounds are left in them - some of which are useful, others gimmicky and a few downright annoying.

As for the cellphone ap - do you mean live or in game? I have no idea about either but I suspect that in most contexts, using it live would be a bad idea. I do know several RPGs came with record sheets to allow you to track your mags - Twilight 2000 used to for a start...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

I mean a cellphone app I could use on my IRL phone (or even laptop, but an easy to use app on a device I have) to track what's inside the mags carried by ingame characters, both the PCs and NPCs.

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
I mean a cellphone app I could use on my IRL phone (or even laptop, but an easy to use app on a device I have) to track what's inside the mags carried by ingame characters, both the PCs and NPCs.

Thanks!
Ah. I was wondering if a real world one would need a Bluetooth link to the gun, or just be trained to recognize the unique sounds from the designated weapon.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Ah. I was wondering if a real world one would need a Bluetooth link to the gun, or just be trained to recognize the unique sounds from the designated weapon.
I suspect it would mainly get you shot whilst you divert your attention from the enemy to check what your phone is complaining about. Or at least slapped by the platoon sergeant.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote