Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #2771
William

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Researchers at an isolated site called Sagalassos, in an isolated Greek-speaking area of the Roman empire, have turned up a tomb with an unusual number of protective charms: protections against the deceased.

While the standard respect was paid, the lack of which might have angered the deceased or the gods - Charon's fee, an array of grave goods - the deceased, who had been cremated, had their ashes buried with an enormous number of bent or otherwise deformed iron nails, the still-smoldering embers covered with heavy bricks (unlike other graves in the area), and the site sealed with quicklime.

None of these three practices are common in Roman graves, and the article claims this is the first time all three measures have been found in the same grave. Whoever buried this guy, they were really, to the point of some considerable expense, worried about him coming back from cremated ashes. What sort of power did they think this person had?!?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #2772
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Researchers at an isolated site called Sagalassos, in an isolated Greek-speaking area of the Roman empire, have turned up a tomb with an unusual number of protective charms: protections against the deceased.
Now with link to Arstechnica article

It occurs to me that this would also prevent any undead from disinterring the cremated.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:33 AM   #2773
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Now with link to Arstechnica article

It occurs to me that this would also prevent any undead from disinterring the cremated.
Thank you for that, the first link was stuck behind a paywall for me. Honestly, I found the brief account of the Polish woman who was found buried with a sickle around her neck and a padlock on her toe even more interesting. That implies to me that the circumstances of her death made people fear her rising from the dead, but someone with enough influence to make a difference - possibly even the village as a whole if she were a generally-adored person - couldn't bear to see her corpse mutilated in the typical way (staked through the heart, head chopped off, etc), and so there was a compromise: the body was left intact, but a symbolic padlock to hold her down, and a sickle that would either restrain or decapitate her if that failed and she attempted to rise, were put in place.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:19 PM   #2774
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Thank you for that, the first link was stuck behind a paywall for me.
Same here.

Quote:
Honestly, I found the brief account of the Polish woman who was found buried ... a symbolic padlock to hold her down, and a sickle that would either restrain or decapitate her if that failed and she attempted to rise, were put in place.
Must admit I've mentally filed that arrangement away, for use in a future game.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:24 AM   #2775
Varyon

Just learned of this, but back in the late 19th century, apparently staged trainwrecks were a thing some railways would do as a spectacle (often not charging admission, but instead relying on the fact the most convenient way to reach the location of the spectacle was by taking their trains). A notable instance of this was the Crash at Crush, wherein a Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad employee by the name of William George Crush put together a full spectacle, complete with Ringling Brothers circus tent and infrastructure put in place specifically for the spectacle (wells drilled, telegraph offices erected, carnival games and sideshows arranged, etc), naming the "temporary town" Crush, Texas. But something unexpected happened in the collision - shortly after the awe-inspiring impact, the boilers of both trains exploded more-or-less simultaneously, meaning the minimum safe distance (200 yards) the onlookers had been forced to stay at (the crash was actually delayed about an hour due to people refusing to retreat to said minimum safe distance) was no longer sufficient to be safe from all the incidental fragmentation. Two people died and at least six more were seriously injured (there's a photograph of the moment of impact, and the photographer lost an eye to a flying bolt shortly after taking said photograph). MKT fired Crush immediately (despite having approved his proposal, and their engineers' assurances that a boiler explosion was all but impossible), but they actually avoided any significant negative press over the event (if anything, the event may have benefitted MKT, even after the payouts to those injured and the families of those killed, as it got a lot of press but apparently most of it didn't blame the railroad), so they wound up rehiring him literally the next day (I guess they could see the way the wind was blowing pretty quickly, and saw they weren't going to wind up blasted by the media).
Old 04-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #2776
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
A notable instance of this was the Crash at Crush, wherein a Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad employee by the name of William George Crush put together a full spectacle...
Seriously? the man's name is Crush? or is this some sort of show name?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:21 AM   #2777
Dalillama

Quote:
But something unexpected happened in the collision - shortly after the awe-inspiring impact, the boilers of both trains exploded more-or-less simultaneously, meaning the minimum safe distance (200 yards) the onlookers had been forced to stay at (the crash was actually delayed about an hour due to people refusing to retreat to said minimum safe distance) was no longer sufficient to be safe from all the incidental fragmentation.
I have never understood how that was unexpected.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:06 PM   #2778
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I have never understood how that was unexpected.
Might have something to do with this:

Quote:
...(despite having approved his proposal, and their engineers' assurances that a boiler explosion was all but impossible)...

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #2779
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Might have something to do with this:
And that's a really bizarre call for them to have made, is my point.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:54 AM   #2780
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
And that's a really bizarre call for them to have made, is my point.
You've never heard an expert in a reasonably new field of technology claim that nothing can go wrong before?
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox