Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-05-2023, 01:19 AM   #1
corwyn

Default Nordlond encounter

I'm looking for an epic encounter for my Nordlond game. The current arc features dragons and dragonkin and they need to be involved but I'd like some variety since they've been fighting nothing but for a month. What kind of allies would you suggest to join the fun. Monsters do not necessarily need to be survivable for reasons. Stuff of nightmares, as it were.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:50 AM   #2
sjmdw45

Default Re: Nordlond encounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I'm looking for an epic encounter for my Nordlond game. The current arc features dragons and dragonkin and they need to be involved but I'd like some variety since they've been fighting nothing but for a month. What kind of allies would you suggest to join the fun. Monsters do not necessarily need to be survivable for reasons. Stuff of nightmares, as it were.
Well, you definitely need to use at least one Grimdar, a Logaskuggi, and a bunch of Liefar (wraiths), Krabbari (Glabrezu), and Jotnar (fire giant warriors and spellcasters). That's the anvil.

The hammer is a Kraken, Great Hasted by a lich, plus the lich and a metric ton of Skeleton archers (enough that you don't bother to track their HP or individual actions, you just launch a few dozen arrows per second at anyone out in the open).

And a couple of Breyttdyr to chase down any flankers.

Is that epic enough?
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:50 PM   #3
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I'm looking for an epic encounter for my Nordlond game. The current arc features dragons and dragonkin and they need to be involved but I'd like some variety since they've been fighting nothing but for a month.
What are those creatures allies in your campaign? Any spellcasters (regardless of flavor) in the bunch to summon in something they'd consider a "monster"?

What lives in the region natively? Druagr should be sprinkled liberally about already...
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
corwyn

Well, they've faced a Krabbari before, once, so I'll likely include one. I suppose, yes, any summons would do. Maybe a Dracolich kinda thing as there are some convenient Dragon bones lying around. Plus it would be an undead the Cleric can't instantly turn. Revenants of kin they've killed.

Allies have been about 5 or 6 types of Dragonmen and Dinomen, "goblins" and human cultists. They just encountered their first dragon troll.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
Dalin

A dragon that can shapechange into a human (or other species) can add a fun roleplaying element with a new NPC to interact with. It might be one of the dragons that they've already dealt with or a new dragon. If new, it might be an ally of the other ones, or opposed to them (but not necessarily a potential ally of the PCs).

On further thought, I suppose this walks you away from an "epic encounter" which implies a major battle. But it could be an option to add something unexpected.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
A dragon that can shapechange into a human (or other species) can add a fun roleplaying element with a new NPC to interact with. It might be one of the dragons that they've already dealt with or a new dragon. If new, it might be an ally of the other ones, or opposed to them (but not necessarily a potential ally of the PCs).

On further thought, I suppose this walks you away from an "epic encounter" which implies a major battle. But it could be an option to add something unexpected.
Yeah, it doesn't really work for this but I'll keep it mind for later.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:02 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Stuff of Nightmare suggests hydra.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Stuff of Nightmare suggests hydra.
Hydragon? there are some epic scary stories about multi-headed dragons in That Other Game.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Hydragon? there are some epic scary stories about multi-headed dragons in That Other Game.
The dragon section in the Nordlond Bestiary (pp. 10-13) includes multi-headed dragons. Up to five, by some strange coincidence, and each head could have a different breath weapon.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote