Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
KataH

Default GURPS Basic Set: Characters and Campaigns PDF Update

I just received this email: We'd like to let you know that a Warehouse 23 file you ordered, "GURPS Basic Set: Characters and Campaigns", has been updated!
I did the download and the file name I got was GURPS_Basic_Set_Characters_and_Campaigns.zip
So far so good.
However when I unzip the file, the only file there is GURPS Basic Set Characters 7th Printing.pdf - I open it and it is only GURPS Basic Set Characters.
Where is my Campaigns combined file? I have always received both PDFs (as I originally ordered) combined together.
I know that Campaigns has not been u[dated, but I would like them combined as before (easier to search) please.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"

Last edited by KataH; 02-27-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling.
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Steven Marsh

Default Re: GURPS Basic Set: Characters and Campaigns PDF Update

There seem to be two questions here:

The ZIP file should have both Characters and Campaigns in there; I just redownloaded it (a couple of different ways), and confirmed that it has both. I recommend trying to redownload the file, perhaps trying a different browser or clearing the cookies and cache of your browser if you continue to have problems.

As far as a combined PDF . . . I'm not sure what to say. As far as I know, we've never had a combined Basic Set PDF. I just checked the previous version of this file and confirmed that it was structured the same as the current version: a zip file containing both individual PDFs of Characters and Campaigns.

Fortunately our PDFs aren't copy-protected, so it's fairly straightforward to combine the two PDFs yourself using various software methods. But we've left that up to individual customers.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
KataH

You are correct there are 2 files. However my original purchase was a combined PDF (that was some time ago though).
No worries though as I can use a free PDF tool that will do the job only problem is the Page numbers printed will not match the Physical Page numbers of the total document. For example if I put in page 551 it will go to page 546 of the combined PDF. This is do to the PDFs not starting at Page 1, instead they start at i and ii (I think), the page 1,2... Combining the 2 PDFs causes the page numbering to be off by 5.
I can live with it though.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
You are correct there are 2 files. However my original purchase was a combined PDF (that was some time ago though).
No worries though as I can use a free PDF tool that will do the job only problem is the Page numbers printed will not match the Physical Page numbers of the total document. For example if I put in page 551 it will go to page 546 of the combined PDF. This is do to the PDFs not starting at Page 1, instead they start at i and ii (I think), the page 1,2... Combining the 2 PDFs causes the page numbering to be off by 5.
I'm not sure how pagination works in different PDF editors, but I was able to set the numbers correctly using Adobe Acrobat (the paid version). I suspect there are ways to do it with other tools too.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
KataH

Dalin
Yeah I know the paid version of Adobe can fix this. I was hoping to find a free app that can do t (so far nothing).
Again I can love with it.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
Almost all PDFs have their page numbering off, for similar reasons.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Plane

I don't suppose there's a master list of changes (editor notes) to inform people what was changed in the 6 updates leading to the 7th printing? Could be a needle in a haystack to try to figure it out solo. Would be interested in knowing even if it was minor fixes.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/basic/ has "Errata" at the bottom. Campaigns only has two so that's easiest:
*Jan 2007 for 1st printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...campaigns.html
*April 2009 for 2nd printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...paigns-2p.html

Does that mean Campaigns is only in its 3rd printing?

Characters has more:
*Jan 2007 for 1st printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...haracters.html
*Dec 2007 for 2nd printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...acters-2p.html
*Apr 2009 for 3rd printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...acters-3p.html
*Jan 2010 for 4th printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...acters-4p.html
*May 2012 for 5th printing http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...acters-5p.html

There's no errata for updating a 6th printing yet so hopefully that comes out, I guess?

Not sure if the listed dates were the actual dates things came out, or if they might've been published for earlier editions prior to the new editions coming out. Obviously what we do know from looking at that is the dates at which those printings already existed for some indeterminate amount of time.

5th was out by 2012, but with no errata for 6th it's unclear when that came out....

Edit: http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/ seems to be the master-list, has all the dates on one page for easy consult, albeit still just errata dates not publication dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
As far as a combined PDF . . . I'm not sure what to say. As far as I know, we've never had a combined Basic Set PDF. I just checked the previous version of this file and confirmed that it was structured the same as the current version: a zip file containing both individual PDFs of Characters and Campaigns.

Fortunately our PDFs aren't copy-protected, so it's fairly straightforward to combine the two PDFs yourself using various software methods. But we've left that up to individual customers.
Separate files can be useful if you want to consult Char/Camp concurrently since you can switch between 2 pages.

Where I think the merged file is preferred is that some PDF readers seem to goof and can't recognize the listed page numbers for campaigns properly. I've had that sometimes work on some readers, but othertimes it actually begins again from 1 so you have to do mental math (look at reading for current page, subtract listed page, then subtract the difference from whatever page number you have to look up) to actually navigate to a page by typing.

When it works in properly, you can input EITHER number (respect to campaign, or overall) and there's no overlap because Campaigns has 242 pages but begins at 337.

I guess the other benefit to a custom-merge is being able to do wider searches for a keyword.

Last edited by Plane; 02-28-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Does that mean Campaigns is only in its 3rd printing?
The previous PDF version of Campaigns that I had says it's the 5th printing; Characters, incidentally, said it was the 3rd printing. I have no idea when the last time I downloaded those was, but it likely was a minimum of 3-4 years based on the last modified dates of the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
There's no errata for updating a 6th printing yet so hopefully that comes out, I guess?
There may not be errata for the 6th printing; it might have been an exact duplicate of the 5th printing without any additional errata fixed.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
The previous PDF version of Campaigns that I had says it's the 5th printing; Characters, incidentally, said it was the 3rd printing. I have no idea when the last time I downloaded those was, but it likely was a minimum of 3-4 years based on the last modified dates of the files.
I timestamp my GURPS books and those versions were downloaded 1st of May 2014, so you got a terminus ante quem for that.

Last edited by Blind Mapmaker; 02-28-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Latin typo. Yes it was a typo, not a wrong case!
Blind Mapmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Changes in GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns between 5th and 7th printings

The previously available PDF of Campaigns was for 5th printing, published in April 2011. The new one is for 7th Printing, published January 2020. I've been running them through a PDF comparison ("diff") tool, which seems to work OK, once you point it at the right sets of pages. Page 2 of the 5th printing file corresponds to page 3 of the 7th printing file.

Title page: Correction to alphabetical order of artist’s names, indication of 7th printing.

All the following changes are in terms of Basic Set page numbers, which start at p. 338. Where I list adjacent pages individually, I mean that the changes are entirely on that page, and no text moves between pages.

P. 338: Changes in staff positions at SJ Games, change of copyright and printing information.

P. 339-41: Tiny changes in leading of contents pages, no change in meanings.

P. 342: Adjustment of layout, complete re-write of section “Other Support and GM Tools”.

P. 383 Last sentence, changed “p. 547-559” to “pp. 547-559”.

P. 406 Under “Shields”, corrected the cross-reference to “Slam (p.368)” to “Slam (pp. 371-372)”.

P. 414 Under “Explosions,” corrected “Use torso armor to determine DR against explosion damage.” to “Work out DR against explosion damage as explained in Large-Area Injury (p. 400).”

P. 428 Under Agony, corrected “High Pain Threshold lets you overcome the agony enough to function, but at -3 to DX and IQ.” to “High Pain Threshold lets you function at -3 to DX, IQ, skill, and self-control rolls; you still lose FP.”

P. 456 Under “Chimpanzee” re-write of description to “Territorial and aggressive, chimps (particularly males) may attack for no apparent reason.” and inserted “Semi-Upright” into Traits.

P. 487 Removed the footnote referencing the Munchkin RPG. Layout changed significantly, but no effect on wording.

P. 494 Complete rewrite of the large box “Gaming Online.”

P. 520 Line 5 of the first column of the box “Travel Between Game Worlds” has gone missing. In 5th printing, it said “… different place or time, and play a different character in …” and it looks as if it still should. I’ve reported errata.

P. 527 Under The Thousand-Year Reich, corrected “exists on five known alternates in Q4 and Q5.” to “exists on five known alternates in Q3 through Q6.”

P. 562 Under Example in the first column, corrected “If they ask 120% of the fair price and get a “Bad” reaction, the NPC will offer half of that, or 50%.” to “If they ask 80% of the fair price and get a “Bad” reaction, the NPC will offer half of that, or 40%.”

P. 564 Corrected “major wound” from “A single injury equal to half the target’s HP or more. See p. 420.” to “A single injury exceeding half the target's HP, or any crippling injury. See p. 420.”

P. 566 Complete re-write of “Ludography”.

PP. 570-575 Corrections to the index.

PP. 343, 345, 350, 352, 358, 359, 364, 377, 379, 383, 394, 394, 400, 401, 402, 403, 405, 409, 420, 421, 423, 427, 428, 434, 435, 436, 437, 440, 442, 460, 461, 464, 467, 469, 480, 486, 493, 494, 495, 513, 515, 516, 527, 528, 531, 537, 538, 540, 545, 546, 552, 554, 561, 567 and 569: Adjustments to layout, no change in meaning.

P.576 Advertisement for e23 and Pyramid changed to one for How to be a GURPS GM.

A challenge to the pedantic: there is an utterly trivial new erratum in 7th printing, which I've carefully reproduced above. Can you find it?

Addendum: I'll do the same for Characters tomorrow.

Last edited by johndallman; 02-28-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Publication dates
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set updates, gurps, pdf