Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-20-2022, 09:04 PM   #11
dmgrafton

Default Re: Bring out your familiar rules

Just a comment on your spell mechanics. Not significant but for me important. You list if the animal has an IQ of 8 they can speak to the Wizard. I have no problem with your guidelines except that the actual physical speaking does not seem realistic. I read an article once as to why monkeys cannot speak and it is because they biologically do not have the actual physical, biological components to effect speaking. So it seems a hawk or squirrel could not actually speak, physically. So I would not allow that in my campaigns. That being said, I DO think that they could somehow comprehensively speak sending other signals to their master (a combination of pheromones, physical gestures, vocal clicks, squeaks, yipes, etc.) , along with the talent/magic component of the character, such that the person working with them could completely understand them. So all good but for me slightly different rational.
dmgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #12
Shostak

Default Re: Bring out your familiar rules

I understand the concern, but I’ve watched enough episodes of Lassie and Flipper to know that animals can effectively communicate with humans. ;-)
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote