Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #21
(E)

Default Re: Crop selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPSFredo View Post
Don't know if it's realistic but Harn Manor is a RPG book I've always used for fantasy setting crops.
I don't have a problem with it at all. But what I've been working on can produce some fairly good results, (Like a reasonable "balance sheet" of everything a village produces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Hence a wide variety of preservation technologies (without freezers, I believe pickling is the most appropriate for turnips).
There lies the path that includes calculating vinager production, salt availability and ceramic wear and tear calculations.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #22
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I don't have a problem with it at all. But what I've been working on can produce some fairly good results, (Like a reasonable "balance sheet" of everything a village produces)
I think Harn Manor is a pretty good abstract model, and works well if you want a "local heroes" campaign where the PCs are the members of the household of a landed knight, plus some local yeomen, who handle such things as hungry wolf-packs, bandits, and the occasional wandering band of goblin, who that insist upon eating livestock and interfering with the harvests.

But if you want to build survival campaign -- post-apocalyptic, or colonization of a new territory, or whatever -- from the ground up, it would be awfully nice to have results that were a bit more... granular. :)

I look forward to what you come up with. Your threads are some of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
There lies the path that includes calculating vinegar production, salt availability and ceramic wear and tear calculations.
That's the sort of thing that Harn Manor doesn't try to do, really. You'd want to make the calculations into a modular system, though, so people could just use the parts they like, and avoid the stuff they consider boring.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #23
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
<SNIP>

But if you want to build survival campaign -- post-apocalyptic, or colonization of a new territory, or whatever -- from the ground up, it would be awfully nice to have results that were a bit more... granular. :)

I look forward to what you come up with. Your threads are some of my favorites.

That's the sort of thing that Harn Manor doesn't try to do, really. You'd want to make the calculations into a modular system, though, so people could just use the parts they like, and avoid the stuff they consider boring.
The core idea of what I'm working on fits in what was a pyramid article length. Given that I can see the average GM or world builder starting naturally with high level questions like "how many people here?" and then boring down into the detail as and if it suits them, modular or hierarchical structure has been part of the plan since early on.

Avoiding excess complexity is a continual challenge with this project, in fact as a result the original project has diverged into two separate and distinct projects, a written document for gaming and a spreadsheet with unmitigated complexity to generate communities from the ground up.

On the subject of survival campaigns, I received some feedback on the village generation system that I developed with Douglas Cole for Citadel at Nordvorn. It was being used to quite successfully populate a Post Apocalyptic world.

[EDIT]
At this stage my overall take on the subject is to handle crop selection via a list of questions and priorities. Though I may come across something in the research material that has been suggested to change my mind.

Last edited by (E); 11-30-2020 at 12:11 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farming, low tech, world building