Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Ubiquitous

Default Tactical Shooting Positions

I was reading an old James Bond book, and it took the time to describe an interesting shooting pose; pistol-arm held out straight, body turned to the side. This has the advantages of making a much smaller shooting target, and looking badass. I don't know if Tactical Shooting covers poses like this (or if anyone can tell me if it does, suppliment content disclosure I've noticed is touchy around here, and I suppose for good reason) but what are the disadvantages to this pose? I don't think you'd get any penalties for it, since GURPS is exceedingly liberal with how you can dodge, and I believe it's a -2 for hitting side-profile targets, so there's that as well.

It discourages the Weaver position, so there's that, but a -2 defensively is a good trade-off for the +1 offensively.

Can anyone name and other good shooter stances like this, and does this one pass muster for realistic enough to work?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
Daigoro

Default Re: Tactical Shooting Positions

I've noticed that you can somewhat date a movie or tv show by the way actors hold their pistols.

In the early days, it was an elbow at the hip stance. 60s and 70s James Bond probably had the side-on stance, squinting down a straight extended arm, while modern cop dramas use the left hand cupped under the right.

Shooters in each era would justify why they prefer each stance, but I'm sure they all have benefits and drawbacks.

I think the side-on stance you describe was also favoured by old-time flintlock duellists.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
trooper6

You can't brace the pistol in the James Bond Stance. So you lose that potential bonus.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
In the early days, it was an elbow at the hip stance. 60s and 70s James Bond probably had the side-on stance, squinting down a straight extended arm, while modern cop dramas use the left hand cupped under the right.
I watched an old Civil Defense short, that featured, among other things, the training of reserve police officers on a firing range, in a one-handed, left-hand-on-hip, side-turned stance. The rote-ness of it all was comical.

Clearly, the trainer either had never been in any kind of gunbattle situation, or didn't expect his students to.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
TheMorten

Interestingly, GURPS features the hip shooting method as a technique: Closed Hip Shooting, which allows you to buy off the Bulk penalty of using a firearm in close combat.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Dustin

Interesting. As a single position, if you're holding it for a second or more, you're no longer moving erratically, and are presumably making an AoA. If you are moving, then presenting a smaller profile while you take your shot can just be treated as part of your Dodge.

For the AoA case, it could be fun to have a Technique that effectively gave you -1 SM on the stringent conditions that you are taking AoA (Ranged), using a one-handed weapon, and take no more than a Step for movement. Hmm, it should also only apply to your target shooting back at you, not anyone else's chance to hit you. Is this a small enough effect for a Perk? Not sure.

I might consider that for a black powder campaign, since, as Daigoro notes, it seems particularly fitting for that era. I also recall that they said of Doc Holliday that he was so skinny (from the TB that eventually killed him) that when he turned sideways you could barely see him, let alone shoot him.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Is this a small enough effect for a Perk?
I'd say that it is, considering that you cannot brace and AOA in a gun fight is potentially suicidal.

Makes a nice addition to my Pistol Dueling Style.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Kalzazz

That sounds tricky, your arm doesnt stick out straight to the side very well, it seems possible, but would put uncomfortable strain on your arm

Now turning where you are most of the way sideways and shooting one handed is pretty common, its how I was taught the shoot a pistol and how most of the people my parents age also seem to shoot

Something like this http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/image...9-08-woman.jpg
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I think this is exactly the stance being proposed, or near enough as makes no difference.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Ragitsu
Banned

How about this shooting position?
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote