Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Supernatural Feature / Involuntary Shapechange / Nuisance Effect?

Salutations!

Suppose a character (let's call her Alice) looks absolutely normal (Appearance may or may not be above average), unless she uses certain abilities; then certain aspects of her appearance change involuntarily. Could be glowing or unnaturally colored eyes, a change in hair color, or any of the Supernatural Features listed in Basic.

Is this a Supernatural Feature with a -5% Mitigator (Not Using <Ability>)?
Is this an Involuntary Shapechange? Even with a purely cosmetic (0 CP difference from base form) and involuntary-only Alternate Form, I don't see a way to model this Advantage into a Disadvantage, but maybe I'm overlooking something.
Is this a Nuisance Effect tacked on to the Ability that causes the change in appearance?
Oh, I just remembered as I am typing this: Spell Signature would be a suitable Quirk (-1) or Disadvantage (-5).

Okay. Good talk. Thanks. ;)

But! What if it's not an Ability (something the player/PC can control) that triggers the change, but something that happens when Alice loses control, e.g. when her Bad Temper or other mental disadvantage kicks in?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Supernatural Feature / Involuntary Shapechange / Nuisance Effect?

I generally use Nuisance Effect. For example (from a very nerfed Kryptonian template I'm working on):

Quote:
Penetrating Vision (ESP, -10%; Blocked by lead, -10%; Nuisance Effect: Eyes (including pupil and sclera) appear golden during use, -5%; Uncontrollable, -10%) 2 [13]
Yes, his X-Ray Vision can spontaneously activate when he's under stress. (This actually fits the comics: Clark Kent tried to join the US Army during WWII, but failed the vision test by accidentally reading the chart on the wall of the other room.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Supernatural Feature / Involuntary Shapechange / Nuisance Effect?

Temporary Disadvantage seems like a decent fit, too.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate form, nuisance effect, spell signature, supernatural features