Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #4571
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: So, how great is Kromm anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Were still getting pretty regular W23 first items. How to be a GURPS GM: High Powered Origins, Space Atlas: Grissom, and DF Adventures 4: Two Page Dungeons are all I think new material not released through kickstarter.
Yeah, no, all of those were KS-first.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #4572
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Yeah, no, all of those were KS-first.
Sigh. Then I should have all of them and that did not show up on my W23 login.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #4573
Willy

Quote:
Sigh. Then I should have all of them and that did not show up on my W23 login.
I feel with you. I took part in the last 3 GURPS Kickstarters and still I miss a lot of Items in my account, I got keys for a download, but not much made it into my warehouse account. I my case I though it was because a friend paid it with his credit card because I don´t need one. It´s interesting to hear others have the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
SNIP
The long drag of two years of lockdowns and bad news has affected my energy level, like it has that of many other people. I've been sleeping poorly, waking up tired, and having trouble focusing. While I could break the editorial logjam by working longer hours, I find myself limited to working fewer hours. I'm hardly doing the bare minimum! I'm just not going to burn myself out over a couple of GURPS supplements.
Just keep care of yourself and try to preserve a healthy balance. Nobody takes profit from a burned out Dr. Kromm, neither SJG, you or the fans. A fit and well rested author and edtior works better and makes better products, so it´s in our mutual interest that you can enjoy the work and your life.

Last edited by Willy; 06-24-2022 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling error, added example
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #4574
Anders

Quote:
The long drag of two years of lockdowns and bad news has affected my energy level, like it has that of many other people. I've been sleeping poorly, waking up tired, and having trouble focusing. While I could break the editorial logjam by working longer hours, I find myself limited to working fewer hours. I'm hardly doing the bare minimum! I'm just not going to burn myself out over a couple of GURPS supplements.
I too have things I want edited, but I'd rather not be the man who killed GURPS by asking too much. :o) Self-care is important.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #4575
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Thanks for the concern, folks! I doubt I'm going to go utterly bonkers (more than usual, I mean). If you feel I've already overshared, skip the rest of this post.

I've done my job as a telecommuter since 1995. With the benefit of 27 years of experience – something that relatively few telecommuters in the world have! – I can say with authority that long-term telecommuting (in my view, anything over six months) demands that one pay close attention to work-life balance. That's because one works where one eats where one sleeps where . . . and all that sameness inside four walls can cause a hybrid of cabin fever and professional burnout if you aren't careful.

Thus, the pandemic didn't mark a change in how or where I worked, as it did for so many others. I went into it with 25 years' training! But the associated lockdowns and curfews – and the negative social energy flowing from those, the fear of infectious disease, the economic effects, etc. – almost totally removed "life" from "work-life balance" for me. The Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game, the GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge, the GURPS Pyramid Scheme, the GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge, etc. on top of running my product line and being a writer . . . it consumed my life.

Right now, we have at least two more big projects like that in the wings, both of which involve me. I've run out of energy to handle special assignments on top of running my product line and being a writer . . . That energy comes from the "life" part of "work-life balance," and I was unable to bank very much of it these past two years.

Anyway, I'll recover and recharge, but thanks to those who understand that – to quote Burt Gummer – I'm "just doing what I can with what I got."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #4576
Anders

I hope most people know that GURPS is run by three people and duct tape. Rest well.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #4577
Refplace

Quote:
Thus, the pandemic didn't mark a change in how or where I worked, as it did for so many others. I went into it with 25 years' training! But the associated lockdowns and curfews – and the negative social energy flowing from those, the fear of infectious disease, the economic effects, etc. – almost totally removed "life" from "work-life balance" for me.
Yeah, as a disabled shut in the last 10 years or so I was about the same. I felt it should have had no effect, but the suffering and stress on my friends leaked into me. And what little social interaction (physical rather than internet) was almost completely gone.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #4578
Willy

Quote:
SNIP
Anyway, I'll recover and recharge, but thanks to those who understand that – to quote Burt Gummer – I'm "just doing what I can with what I got."
Take your time to rest, everytime you need. I hope you get better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I hope most people know that GURPS is run by three people and duct tape. Rest well.
I think most folks outside this forum still think GURPS is still run by half a dozen folks, working all fulltime only for GURPS. Which leads to problems because the fans want more than Dr. Kromm and his fellow comrades can give. Duct tape can only do so much as making a quick fix, but the damage is still their and needs repairs.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #4579
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

I hope most people know that GURPS is run by three people and duct tape.
Around here, people generally know that.

Blogs, Discord servers, other forums, etc. – not to mention madness like 4chan and Reddit – are full of people who believe that GURPS is a major part of SJ Games. A few seem to confuse the name of the game for that of the publisher, as evidenced by the many "GURPS should do X" comments, as if GURPS were its own entity and not just a small appendix to the general operations of SJ Games. Even the aware appear not to understand that we are no longer living in the market conditions of the 1980s or 1990s, and must scale down our efforts accordingly.

So, I do what I can to double-underline and boldface the reality of the situation: GURPS is a smallish product line of SJ Games, with one dedicated person (me . . . and I'm a contractor, not staff!), plus two staffers (Steven and Nikki) who work on it as well as other product lines. That's it, that's all. All the other creators are freelancers; in fact, technically, so am I.

Of course, the same misinformed people say things like "GURPS is on its last legs" or "GURPS is dead." Such remarks are equally out of touch with reality. The game is plenty alive and work proceeds afoot. It's just not the front-and-center focus of most of the company, the way it was in the late 1980s and part of the 1990s.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #4580
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Yeah, as a disabled shut in the last 10 years or so I was about the same. I felt it should have had no effect, but the suffering and stress on my friends leaked into me. And what little social interaction (physical rather than internet) was almost completely gone.
I'm sorry you're going through that, Rory.

Whatever one's reasons for working from home, there's a huge difference between "I work from home" and "all I do is work from home." The former implies I can sometimes not be working and sometimes not be home; the latter does not.

I'm quite sure the situation is less bad for pure introverts and/or workaholics, but I'm neither. I've always been highly extroverted. I was formerly a workaholic, but I got therapy for that. To me, staying home with nothing but work to do is a short walk to more therapy . . . I'm definitely "work to live" and not "live to work" by nature.

Tags
kromm