Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Grey Goblin

Default Trigger-happy

A few questions about the Trigger Limitation (Basic Set p.115). For a Very Common -10% trigger accompanying Magery for a druid-type, I'm considering 'Contact with Vegetable matter (living or dead)', preferably in the form of a simple garment, necklace, bracelet or ring of dried plant material. Is this reasonable? Secondly, to clarify the description in the book, I assume once contact is removed for more than one minute, the advantage no longer functions, rather than the advantage being available for one minute of use any time after contact is removed? Thanks for your replies.
Grey Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Ejidoth

Default Re: Trigger-happy

I think this is at best a -5% limitation.

'Any vegetable matter' is way too broad for the 'specific substance or condition' required by Trigger at even just the -10% level.

But it does mean someone could imprison you in a properly designed cell, and such, so it's worth something. Whatever you choose to call it, -5% is what most power modifiers seem to use for 'someone could take your power away, somehow, but it's not easy', so that's what I'd suggest.

EDIT:

If you specify a particular plant (I think holly has some druidic ties, for instance?) then Trigger works fine.

My understanding of how you use Trigger is that you need the triggering substance/situation at that moment to begin each minute of use. You can't take the dose or encounter the situation and then 'save it for later' like with Preparation Required.

EDIT^2:

Even more specifically, you want 'requires material component, -10%' which is a variant of Trigger where the object merely needs to be held/touched, rather than consumed. It's mentioned on page 116 of Powers and page 5 of Power-Ups: Limitations, as well as (I think) a few other places.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 01-27-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abilities, trigger