Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #31
Steven Marsh

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant Updated to Version 5

GCA5 has been updated to version 5.0.176. As before, previous purchasers can download the new version from their Warehouse 23 digital libraries.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #32
The Cardinal

Sorry, but I cannot find the update file in my WH23 library -I've updated to V5 a while ago, but when I search for something like "update" in my orders or downloads nothing appears, and searching for "GURPS Character Assistant" only yields the GURPS Character Assistant itself and the GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) --- any idea where to look?
Old 04-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #33
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
Sorry, but I cannot find the update file in my WH23 library -I've updated to V5 a while ago, but when I search for something like "update" in my orders or downloads nothing appears, and searching for "GURPS Character Assistant" only yields the GURPS Character Assistant itself and the GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) --- any idea where to look?
There is no separate Update installer for this version. When there is an update available, you should download and install the full GURPS Character Assistant installer again, and install that--it will update you to the newest version right over the top of your existing GCA5 installation, and without the problems that the previous patching system had.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #34
Steven Marsh

GCA5 has been updated to version 5.0.183. Those who have purchased the digital download previously from Warehouse 23 version can download the new version from their their Warehouse 23 digital libraries.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #35
Armin
GCA Prime

I do release notes by the build over at my GCA5 blog https://www.misersoft.com/gca5/ while I work, so exactly what's new in this release is everything that was noted since the previous release.

However, these things are probably most relevant or important to folks:
  • shield items now calculate their block score (as charblockscore), so accessing that from sheets and exporters is much easier.
  • added the option to have your shield DB add to your active defense scores. (GCA by default does not, and you have to remember to add shield DB; with this option set, you instead need to subtract it when it doesn't apply.)
  • fixed an issue related to calculating things based off of ST values, when the character doesn't have a Striking ST.
  • updated some routines that draw the Protection graphic, so they're a better match with the one used in the Protection dialog.
  • Prerequisites that rely on groups of things should be properly checked more reliably.
  • fixed some things related to sizing in Windows 11
  • the default 'display name' of equipment items now includes modifiers, as all other trait types do.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #36
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
However, these things are probably most relevant or important to folks:
...[/LIST]
AND you put in the NPC exporter for Fantasy Grounds Gurps!

A big Thank You for that!
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #37
Armin
GCA Prime

I have pushed some updates out for my sheets and the package manager. DO NOT install the sheet updates if you are NOT running 5.0.183! Go to Warehouse 23, go to your Downloads page, download GURPS_Character_Asssitant.zip, and run the setup program it contains! That will update your GCA to the newest version and will not affect your personal data. THEN you can install the sheet updates.

If you don't have 5.0.183, some of your sheets will not load (will disappear from inside GCA) because these updates require features that the older GCA releases don't support.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #38
Armin
GCA Prime

There is a new sheet available for use with GCA5: GCA Prime.

The GCA Prime sheet is available now through Check for Updates.

This is a columnar block flow sheet, with a fair number of options to get us started. It also includes a couple simple sets of Preset options you can try from inside Sheet Options.

While I've been using it a lot, and it was available to my patrons at Patreon for some time now while I was building it, I can't promise that it's entirely bug free--but it does seem pretty solid. This sheet is a big step up in sheet features for GCA5.

I hope you like it.

! Requires GCA 5.0.183 or later! !
Old 05-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #39
rastill

has anyone had problems with advantages and skills dissevering? I have had the advantages work fine for a single character, but when I load a new one the advantages are not there.

I am using ritual path magic and dungeon fantasy 11, along with the supporting books.

any help would be appreciated because I have to rearrange my library for each character now.
rastill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:34 AM   #40
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastill View Post
has anyone had problems with advantages and skills dissevering? I have had the advantages work fine for a single character, but when I load a new one the advantages are not there.

I am using ritual path magic and dungeon fantasy 11, along with the supporting books.

any help would be appreciated because I have to rearrange my library for each character now.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking, or understand what you might be seeing.

If you create a library, every character also created with that library should have the exact same traits in the Library lists within the program.

*However* if you create a library, that does not mean that every character you create is being created with that library.

From the Tools menu, select Options. The second box on the Program Options tab is called Characters. Check the box for "Always require choosing the character's library". Then, every time you create a new character, GCA will ask you which library you want to use, and you can select the appropriate one. If you don't do that, you have to use File > New, Choosing Library in order to create a character with a specific library.

GCA's normal behavior is that if you just select File > New the character is created with the 'default' library, which just has whatever books that has, but is not necessarily the library you wanted.

Using the Manager Your Library dialog has no impact on a character by itself, unless you get there by File > New, Choosing Library or by Character > Switch Library (or by any related toolbar buttons).

I don't know if any of that helps, but I hope I hit something there that does.