Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Anders

Default How many character points do you give out per session?

Pretty much that. How many character points do you give out? Do you have a system (if they do this they get 1 CP, if they do that they lose 1 CP, etc.)? If you have run many different campaigns, does it vary much from campaign to campaign?
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: How many character points do you give out per session?

Usually 2-5 points per session. The range reflects partly the length of the session and hitting quest benchmarks. The group might earn five points for an especially long session or for the culmination of a quest or something like that. I don't really have a system beyond that, but I usually give the same number of points to every PC (even if they miss a session). This just simplifies bookkeeping for everyone. I haven't felt the need with my adult groups to use points as an enticement for good roleplaying.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Usually 2-5 points per session. The range reflects partly the length of the session and hitting quest benchmarks. The group might earn five points for an especially long session or for the culmination of a quest or something like that. I don't really have a system beyond that, but I usually give the same number of points to every PC (even if they miss a session). This just simplifies bookkeeping for everyone. I haven't felt the need with my adult groups to use points as an enticement for good roleplaying.
Both Chaotic Pioneering and Confessions of a Forked Tongue use approximately this scheme, tending towards 3 or 4 points per session, but occasionally slightly more or less, depending on what we've accomplished.

We don't play unless all players are present. (GM+4 in both groups.)

I got a bonus point once for writing the Confessions log, but other than that, I'm not aware of anyone receiving more or less than other players.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
Ninja Monkey

I’ve tended to give 3 - 5 points for a ~3 hour session, depending on what’s been achieved, roleplaying etc. However, I’m thinking of the following formula:
• Turned up and played nicely with others = 1pt
• Was entertaining without detriment to others (see first bullet) = 1pt
• Took part in scenario (for non-sandbox) = 1pt
• Completed scenario (for non-sandbox) = 1pt
• Abandoned scenario (for non-sandbox) = -1pt
• Followed up on one or more of the plot hooks/visited new significant area etc (for sandbox) = 1pt
• Achieved personal goal for character or helped other PC with theirs (established during character creation); or overcame a significant obstacle etc = 1pt
• Played their character = 1 – 2 pts
• Did not play their character = -1 – -2 pts

In my next campaign, I’m going to give out social advantages/disadvantages as recognition of what has happened in the course of the game and through roleplaying etc (e.g. reputation, contact) and adjust points accordingly. These would need to be maintained of course, so could lose them if they move away.

I’m also toying with allowing an IQ role against each skill the PC used that session (except those without defaults) that was a natural critical success/critical failure. This is to see if they learnt anything new about the skill. If they did, they get 1pt in that skill (I’ll be applying the Optional Rule: Maintaining Skills for some balance).
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

I have usually given out 3 per session in 4e campaigns, to characters whose players were present. I don't operate any kind of incentives system, since my players are reliable at playing their characters. I will occasionally give someone a bonus character point for a really good insight or joke.

I've played games where the experience rate was lower, because the GM wanted slower progression, but none where it was higher.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
I’m also toying with allowing an IQ role against each skill the PC used that session (except those without defaults) that was a natural critical success/critical failure. This is to see if they learnt anything new about the skill. If they did, they get 1pt in that skill (I’ll be applying the Optional Rule: Maintaining Skills for some balance).
This seems very unfair. The IQ 16 wizard would soon outstrip the IQ 9 barbarian in terms of total point value. Also, some character builds focus more on skills than others. It would be interesting to count the number of skill rolls each player performs in one session. It wouldn't surprise me if some rolled more than twice as many as others.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
Ninja Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
This seems very unfair. The IQ 16 wizard would soon outstrip the IQ 9 barbarian in terms of total point value. Also, some character builds focus more on skills than others. It would be interesting to count the number of skill rolls each player performs in one session. It wouldn't surprise me if some rolled more than twice as many as others.
I'm going to be limiting stats to a human realistic max of 15 or 16 with UB. My group is just two players that tend to not have many points in skills. I'm not going to be running DF but a low fantasy/magic secret/rare setting where both PCs are Sorcerers that will require a minimum IQ of 12. So in this case, I don't see it as an issue, but agree with you point generally.

Part of the reason why I'm considering it is to have a process like how Rune Quest handles improving skills, which the players like about that system. Though thinking about RQ, the role is based on rolling over the skill with an element of the governing stat(s) involved here.

Hmmm, perhaps based on the governing stat will help with balance and prevent IQ 12 and above characters becoming experts in everything.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Gnome

Usually 7-10 points per session, with occasional additional "power-ups" or "training montages" worth another 5-20 points at a time. This makes for crazy fast advancement, which my players love.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
Ultraviolet

We play every two weeks for 3-hour sessions. Although we aren't very serious nor efficient.

I usually dole out 1-3 points per session the character attended, we have a large group and someone is usually missing. And then perhaps a bonus point here and there for doing something exceptional or surprising, somethign that adds to drama, or takes the plot in an unexpected direction, as long as it's fun.
Sometimes a specific bonus is given to individuals; a point in a skill, ad advatage etc. Sometimes the entire group gets it, often something social like favours owed. Since money doesn't matter much, this makes more sense
Old 03-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
I see some groups trying to abuse this...
"I pick the lock open"
"i pick the lock closed"
"I cast lockmaster on the lock"
"I smith the lock open with cold chisels"
"I use carpentry to remove the door from the hinges"
"I cast animation on the door"
"I use fast talk to convince the door to follow us down the hallway"
etc.

For 150pt games, usually 1-3, plus bonus for cool stuff done in the session (goals, humor, epic scenes)
For high power supers, I usually start with 5-10 pts plus bonus for cool stuff done in the session
so roughly 1-3% of the characters' total values.

Last edited by Culture20; 03-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
character points