Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Ghost Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I don't want to do a new thread, but I've always wondered how to do grants, like for college that just give you one check to spend over the 9 months or so of school...
Grants gained in play form in-game actions probably shouldn't cost any points (really it's just a kind of "loot"). Alternately you can spend Money for Points and explain it as "I got a grant!" as opposed to "I won the lottery!". I'm not really seeing how grant money is any different from any other source of money in this way.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #32
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Grants gained in play form in-game actions probably shouldn't cost any points (really it's just a kind of "loot"). Alternately you can spend Money for Points and explain it as "I got a grant!" as opposed to "I won the lottery!". I'm not really seeing how grant money is any different from any other source of money in this way.
it is independent income that doesn't come monthly. It comes once in a big fat check and you get to stick it out the whole semester.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
it is independent income that doesn't come monthly. It comes once in a big fat check and you get to stick it out the whole semester.
Yes. How is that different from finding that money in the street or inheriting it from a previously unknown uncle?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #34
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Or possibly just Independent Income, depending on the setting. It's not unheard of for someone of aristocratic breeding and/or a familial relationship to a CEO to get a job with a fancy title, a fat paycheck, and a more competent, worse paid, and less well-connected assistant to do the actual work.
Sinecures of various kinds were pretty normal until the start of the last century ... actually, come to think of it, there are still places in the world where they are common practice, either by the sub-contracting route as above or because the job really does have a salary for doing (virtually) nothing.

In the same way, there were some semi-feudal copyhold tenancies in the UK whereby people held land in return for customary service, and by the time of their abolition in the 1920s the surviving duties were often fairly trivial (often in terms of attending on the monarch if they visited somewhere that they had no reason to go or delivering a trivial amount of some substance such as hay to somewhere).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #35
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I don't want to do a new thread, but I've always wondered how to do grants, like for college that just give you one check to spend over the 9 months or so of school...

I'd imagine it'd be enough levels of Independent Income with a new modifier: Lump Sum... It may need to exceed 20 points if the grant was high enough, I know I was getting about 16K in grants when I was going. Well, to be fair 11,000 of it was more like Patron (Arkansas Rehabilitation Services), and I actually saw checks aroud 5000 bucks a year. (25 levels)

What would the Cosmic modifier be? 50% 100%?
Not seeing the need for a modifier here. You get the same amount of money over the course of a year, just all at once. This may cause additional problems for a character who has also taken points for Compulsive Spending, Impulsiveness, etc, but not otherwise, IMHO.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Not seeing the need for a modifier here. You get the same amount of money over the course of a year, just all at once. This may cause additional problems for a character who has also taken points for Compulsive Spending, Impulsiveness, etc, but not otherwise, IMHO.
The need for a modifier is based on exceeding 20 levels. I gave a figure of 25 levels of II. that's either "Adding Utility" or "Cheating" I think.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
Polydamas

Quote:
Treat it as a job with an annual Job Roll. As Kromm points out, finding and keeping scholarships and grants takes work (whether glad-handing the rich, finding things to apply for, filling out elabourate paperwork, or doing work to keep one's boss or supevisor happy).

Independent Income comes with no strings attached for life: rents from lands, safe investments, a pension, ... Student grants and scholarships (or unemployment benefits) come with strings attached for a finite time.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
The need for a modifier is based on exceeding 20 levels. I gave a figure of 25 levels of II. that's either "Adding Utility" or "Cheating" I think.
Firstly, like I said earlier, I still don't see a problem with using Rules Exception per level to exceed the cap. Secondly grants aren't Independent Income, you have to both apply and qualify for them and they are usually one time (although you may continue to qualify for them) this is either a job (University Researcher, Undergrad Student) with an annual rather than monthly paycheck or Spending Points for Money.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Firstly, like I said earlier, I still don't see a problem with using Rules Exception per level to exceed the cap. Secondly grants aren't Independent Income, you have to both apply and qualify for them and they are usually one time (although you may continue to qualify for them) this is either a job (University Researcher, Undergrad Student) with an annual rather than monthly paycheck or Spending Points for Money.
You got ninja'd
Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
You got ninja'd
Yes, well consider it an endorsement of Polydamas (with the note about Spending Points for Money added).

Tags
character creation, character points, character sheet, character stats