Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
Jareth Valar

Default Armor Divisor progression...

We have been using a house rule for Armor Divisor progression. Instead of the 1,2,3,5,10,infinite we follow the same progression as the Spd/Rng table starting at 1 yard (1,1.5,2,3,5,7,10,15, etc.) leaving the only way to get "infinite" is to buy Cosmic (ignores DR). Hurray us, house rules, lol.

My question is, how would/could I alter the formula for raising AD, especially since it "technically" goes on ad infinitum? Is it even possible?

Also, is there any way to have 2 different effects of AD calculate the levels as opposed to just adding the different scores? For example (using the standard progression) a Super-Fine blade [AD(2)] and 1 level of the Penetrating Weapon enchantment [AD(2)] showing AD(3) instead of AD(4).

That is, without adding too much to your workload. Everything you've done is greatly appreciated.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Armor Divisor progression...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareth Valar View Post
We have been using a house rule for Armor Divisor progression. Instead of the 1,2,3,5,10,infinite we follow the same progression as the Spd/Rng table starting at 1 yard (1,1.5,2,3,5,7,10,15, etc.) leaving the only way to get "infinite" is to buy Cosmic (ignores DR). Hurray us, house rules, lol.

My question is, how would/could I alter the formula for raising AD, especially since it "technically" goes on ad infinitum? Is it even possible?
I assume you're asking primarily about the enhancement?

Code:
Armor Divisor, +50%/+100%, levelnames(2, 3, 5, 10), upto(4), group(_Attack Enhancements), page(B102),_
	gives(=@indexedvalue(me::level, 2, 3, 5, 10) to owner::armordivisor)
I'd say all you really have to do is extend the levelnames() and @indexedvalue() lists out as far as you want, and set the upto() to that value (or remove it if you understand levels past what you fill in will not work right).

(Note 1 is left off because AD 1 is no effect. If you want to include AD 1 you'll have to adjust costs and returns.)

Code:
Armor Divisor, +50%/+100%, levelnames(1.5, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15), upto(7), group(_Attack Enhancements), page(B102),_
	gives(=@indexedvalue(me::level, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15) to owner::armordivisor)
I don't know how to mathmatically reproduce the factors there, or there might be a way to do it with a formula, which would likely make the infinite progression easy.

Quote:
Also, is there any way to have 2 different effects of AD calculate the levels as opposed to just adding the different scores? For example (using the standard progression) a Super-Fine blade [AD(2)] and 1 level of the Penetrating Weapon enchantment [AD(2)] showing AD(3) instead of AD(4).
Hmmm. All the bonuses are given as the final adjustment value, so you'd have to convert the bonus value back into the equivalent level, then add the levels together and then determine the bonus value.

I can't think of how to do it without a formula or a giant mess. With a formula, you could feed in the weapon's base armordivisor using owner::armordivisor and get back the level, and then add that to the me::level in the indexedvalue() (or the formula, since you'd clearly have one!). Then add a nobase to clear out the canvas before the bonus gets added, which would become the new chararmordivisor value.

Note that this is just thinking out loud, I haven't tested or tried anything.

Quote:
That is, without adding too much to your workload. Everything you've done is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
Jareth Valar

Thank you. Modifying the progression and levels is what I was thinking and I think that extending that out a bit more is probably the most practical. Doubt anyone is going to try for AD1500 or anything....but players...LOL. Formula for the infinite progression was where I was going. If not, no worries.

As for the different AD levels, I'm not sure how I'd write that formula. I fell rather confident modifying other entries, but not so sure about this. Thanks though.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

I've been meaning to put in some math functions related to the SSR table. If I do that, it will simplify things. I'll see about doing that sooner rather than later.