Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #731
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How safe is the car against plain old vandalism? It can easily be rendered inoperable without someone running away with it: Tire slashing, spraying over the windshield with paint, smashing up the body of the car... how robust is this thing?

"Jacob, I'm getting really tired of that."

"We can't leave the car then. I suppose we could send it home. It'd be nice to be able to just pop back and forth between *** and here, but I don't think its programmed right. I wonder if I can make it so we can..."
The car is fairly robust. The style is firmly TL8, but the construction is thinly concealed TL11 material science and engineering. Random vandals aren't going to have any luck with it, and the security system actually features an inertial anchor that prevents it being towed away. Your average TL8 street thug (what Sam might have been if he hadn't been lucky about which crowd he fell in with) isn't going to do more than scratch the paintwork. Something around here definitely isn't your average TL8 though...

Quote:
*** name of world we came from. Also, I'd like to know the exit worlds Micheal studied up on. He'll know at least one world is decently safe to go to.
The world that you just came through in order to reach this one doesn't actually have a name, just a catalogue reference. It's about forty characters long (ignoring the hundred character reference number telling you which universe it is in), and basically lists it as non-habitable by Humans, inhabited, TL12, not formally contacted. There's a footnote to the effect that contact has been made enough for rapid transit, but nothing more; you go in, then leave again.

The exit world that Michael has found is actually in the opposite direction from the Western Harbour, but unfortunately is the only plausible one around. This does have the slight advantage that it actually puts you closer to a different haven: the Amber Watchtower, another 'Harbour', is one jump beyond that (so you would only need two jumps in order to get there rather than three back to the Western Harbour). This world hasn't been formally contacted either, but has been mapped out somewhat: TL7 appears to be the standard, with a reasonable spread of land/ sea and some decent centres of habitation. You don't have any local currency available for there, but between you, you should be able to find some kind of marketable skills (or failing that Sam has points in Panhandling and Pickpocket).

A secondary exit world has been indicated (low-TL, habitable, plenty of places to land yourself), though it's right on the border with the Blazen universe, almost surrounded. You would only have a limited number of options for getting out of that one, and a 90% chance of landing yourself inside the Blazen universe if you went off course.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #732
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

how hard is reprogramming the car to go back and forth between worlds?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #733
Totem

Quote:
how hard is reprogramming the car to go back and forth between worlds?
The car stores its destinations as a series of values to be fed into the equations running the engine. Adding in a new set of values is as simple as that: type them in and there they are. Calculating those values is a very different kettle of miscellaneous swimming things.

Some local co-ordinates are stored, including the two safe worlds that Michael has pinpointed. The worlds are labelled, but the interface in the car isn't exactly designed to be used like this; the reason the course was pre-programmed was to ensure that you wouldn't get lost by putting in the wrong co-ordinates.

Resetting to a different world involves a Computer Operation check at -4 (because it's an unfamiliar interface and really isn't designed to be used by you). A failure of less than 5 will reset to the wrong world, but you'll be aware of it. A failure of 5 or more will result in the wrong world being selected, and you won't know; you can't end up in the Blazen's universe like that, but you could end up on a world with no land available, so getting up to speed then would be... Interesting.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #734
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

OK.

right now we should know the coordinates for the following Worlds/Jumps:

Worlds:
Western Harbour (WH)
Alien Lightning (AL12)
Rock Ball (RB)
Exit A (TL 7) (EA7)
Exit B (TL Low) (EBL)
Amber Harbour (AH)
Tick-Tock (TT)

Jumps:
WH-RB
RB-AL12
AL12-TT
TT-EA7
TT-EBL
EA7-AH

now, I roll at Computer operation (14 -4 =10 + whatever bonuses I get for tripple checking and writing everything down and having John staring over michael's shoulder) to change one of these worlds as the next destination, right? And I can set up a sequence of these worlds. I would need extra resources to access other worlds.

Am I right? Or am I completely off? And does Michael have objects from each of these worlds?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #735
Totem

Quote:
now, I roll at Computer operation (14 -4 =10 + whatever bonuses I get for tripple checking and writing everything down and having John staring over michael's shoulder) to change one of these worlds as the next destination, right? And I can set up a sequence of these worlds. I would need extra resources to access other worlds.

Am I right? Or am I completely off? And does Michael have objects from each of these worlds?
It looks right, but I'll reiterate a note on mechanics. The two other worlds that you went through to get to this one were the shortest route available to you using the car; you need to go through adjacent worlds in order to get around. So a direct jump to the Western Harbour is out of the question, as is one to the Amber Watchtower. There are a couple of other worlds listed in the directory (ones that it was definitely unsafe to go to were omitted) but none that can be reached from your location; they are primarily alternate routes should it become absolutely necessary to go back via a different route, as jumping around via other worlds was never part of the mission parameters. Give me a bit longer and I'll have you a map (or a list at least).

John would need to make a second roll for Computer Operation, at -2 (unfamiliarity), in order to check over what Michael had done. Both rolls, assuming nothing goes wrong while you're working on it, can take Extra Time.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #736
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

map

This is a local, unlabeled map, as I understand it. There's other routes, but they're secondary.

Last edited by ericthered; 08-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #737
Totem

New Worlds:
Back Alley (BA): This world links the Western Harbour and the Amber Watchtower. The remains of a TL12 machine civilisation cover the entire landscape, and only small refuges exist where Humans can live. Primarily this world is used for cargo ships travelling from the Western Harbour to the Amber Watchtower.

Rising Storm (RS): Solar activity means that this world is subject to fairly regular EMP activity, making travel there inadvisable at best for anyone relying on technology. It's doable though.

Dark Zoo (DZ): A breathable atmosphere, but with a low enough oxygen level to induce altitude sickness in short order. The perpetual heavy cloud and the massive variety of native lifeforms give the world its name. A possible Human evolution has been observed, but based on that observation it is recommended to avoid it.

Worlds:
Western Harbour (WH)
Alien Lightning (AL12)
Rock Ball (RB)
Exit A (TL 7) (EA7)
Exit B (TL Low) (EBL)
Amber Watchtower (AW)
Tick-Tock (TT)
Back Alley (BA)
Rising Storm (RS)
Dark Zoo (DZ)

Jumps:
WH-RB
RB-AL12
AL12-TT
TT-EA7
TT-EBL
EA7-AW
WH-BA
BA-AW
BA-RS
RS-EA7
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #738
Lamech

New sheet
Spoiler:  

Grimoire: 82 points worth of spells in total, I donít think any of them have a TL, but if they do its TL 8. Also note that the minimum spell level is 22 now, I haven't changed them all yet. If a spell is less than 22, it is actually 22.
Spoiler:  

I added this stuff:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Okay here will be the final version of the cool gift, assuming approval:

Regeneration Fast (1FP/minute): Fatigue Only-0% Draw Power Only-80% Pact-10% [10]

Notes: Allows indefinite maintenance of one draw power spell. This was rated at rare because one spell is about as narrow as ultraviolet lasers, or dragon's fire. (pg 46 Basic) Arguably this may deserve a lesser limitation due to the other stuff on John's sheet.

Magery +4 (Dance Limitation -40%, Pact -10%)

Notes: John's power increases with drawing upon the energy of the storm. Huzzah!

Skills:
Energy School: Draw Power TL 8^, Steal Power TL 8^ (VH), Conduct Power TL 8^ (VH), Seek Power TL 8^ (VH),
Enchantment School: Enchant (VH), Ensorcel (VH), Malefice (VH),
Knowledge School: Seeker
Mundane Skills Artist (Body Art) [2]
Notes: Okay now John can grant people power by tattooing them. He does this by casting Ensorcel on them with the limitation that the target can end the spell by destroying the tattoo. I recommend basing the cost reduction on not how easy it would be for the target to break the spell, but how easy it would be for the enemy to break the spell, if the spell is beneficial. Draw power was included so John could have the juice to pull it off. Blood is optional. Apparently, this guy is not a jackass genie.

I still need to pick out ten points of other benefits for John, but this is the gift if approved. That all work?
And these spells were also added. Again in red.

Lesser Wish, Power, Hex, Password, Borrow Skill, Lend Skill, Mind Sending, Mind Reading, Inspired Creation,

Finally, I very specifically added 1 unspent point under my spells.

I haven't checked this all for consistency with the changes, so I may have mathed wrong at some point, but this should be the updated character sheet.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 09-08-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #739
momothefiddler

Quote:
When Jorin tells Michael about the robes
Quote:
Michael is quite nervous about staying here "I want to jump out for the night. We can return in the morning. Any thoughts?"
Jorin's a bit distracted and will not discuss the robes - or much of anything else - until morning, unless someone checks on him (which will involve tapping him on the shoulder and waiting for him to step to one side where he can hear). If Michael would have done that, the conversation can continue just fine - I just want to clarify what's involved since he's rather... fixated... at the moment.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #740
rorikdude12

Well, I've jumped to a roll.
rorikdude12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire