Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #681
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

I think this all comes down to:

Jorin:
Gift (max 40): Reassigning Magery to Wildcard Magic
Ongoing (10): Assorted skills

John:
Gift (max 40): Blood tattoos (maybe just regular ones?)
Ongoing (10): Fit, Flexible

Jacob:
Gift (max 40): 360 Vision
Ongoing (10): 4 points into Fast-Draw:Sword, 1 point into the perk Quick-Sheath: Sword [note: not sure about this one but I guess it's the opposite of fast-draw], 2 points into Stealth, and 3 points into Brawling

Michael:
Gift (max 40): Mind Wipe: Affliction (Malediction 2 +150%, Affects Blazen +50%, Total Amnesia (not on blazen -20%) +20%, Daze +50%, Extended Duration *10 (not on Daze -25%)+30% pact -10%) (+300%) [40]
Ongoing (10): Lots of stuff.


Items underlined are still being waited for (which I think is just resolution on what Lamech wants to set up).
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #682
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm increasing the base advantage, not the skill. Psionic powers uses 'levels' describing less and less limited forms of the advantage. I'm taking "short range" off of both advantages.
Okay, definitely confused, because I've got Michael's Telereceive advantage at 36 points at present, which is level 2. You've described going from level 3 (42 points) to level 4 (45 points), which is indeed removing the Short Range modifier, but only from Mind Reading.

I've just tracked down your character sheet, which lists Telereceive 3 against a cost of 36... Apparently I didn't check that as thoroughly as I should have... Please confirm what you've got on your copy of the sheet, and we may have to review this one.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #683
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
It's primary use was a defence against dispelling. On the other hand by that same token a spell activated might be counted as being dispelled, in which case it will be regenerated again when it activates. You'd need to improvise some kind of mana store for long-term use, plus remember that Great Healing can only work once per day per person. You would also need to Leaf the Delay spell as well. Theoretically though this would provide on-going healing for as long as you could keep the mana input going.
Alright. We'll start with something a little less dramatic just to explore the concept.

Stop Bleeding (Skill 22, Cost 1, Effective Skill 20-5(unknown target)=15)
Link (Skill 22, Cost 8, Effective Skill 6*)
Leafing (Skill 20, Cost special, Effective Skill 20)
Maintain Spell (Skill 22, Cost special, Effective Skill 5*)
  1. Cast Link (When someone gets wounded) over Area 1 (roll vs 6, 6 FP, 4 hours)
  2. Cast Leafing (roll vs 6, 6 FP, 1 second)
  3. Cast Leafing (roll vs 6, 6 FP, 1 second)
  4. Cast Stop Bleeding (roll vs 15, 0 FP, 1 second)
  5. Cast Leafing (roll vs 15, 0 FP, 1 second)
  6. Cast Leafing (roll vs 15, 0 FP, 1 second)
  7. Cast Maintain Spell (roll vs 5, 1 FP, 2 seconds)

So. Link lasts until triggered, which means Leafing has no restriction on duration. Stop Bleeding is an instantaneous spell with lasting effects, so no worry on duration there either. The limit on duration, then, is however long the energy pool from Maintain Spell lasts. Each time someone is wounded in that hex, Stop Bleeding is immediately cast on them, subtracting 0 FP from Maintain Spell's pool of 1 FP. Because the leaf reappears 2 seconds later and there are 3 leaves, this can happen every second without triggering all leaves at once (and thus destroying the spell).

Now we have a permanently enchanted area (though admittedly only one hex) where someone can pull out a knife and cut themselves and watch the wound heal up, then repeat the process until the end of time.

Disregarding the fact that I'd never make those rolls in sequence because the numbers are so low, and disregarding the fact that I'd need a powerstone to do it, is this a valid use of Leafing?

*Maintain Spell has a prereq count of 17 and some spells are even worse (Draw Power would be cast at effective skill 0!). Can I use the rule under Spell Defaults where if I know a spell in the prereq chain, the penalty is only the difference in the chain? Thus I could put points in Delay directly and then Link would be at -1 and Maintain Spell at -2 instead of -16 and -17, respectively? Because those get to be very long chains.
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #684
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Now we have a permanently enchanted area (though admittedly only one hex) where someone can pull out a knife and cut themselves and watch the wound heal up, then repeat the process until the end of time.

Disregarding the fact that I'd never make those rolls in sequence because the numbers are so low, and disregarding the fact that I'd need a powerstone to do it, is this a valid use of Leafing?
It all looks valid from here. As you say, getting it to work first time like that is optimistic, but otherwise it should do. Just be aware that someone hitting that one area with dispel would potentially be able to cancel all of the Leaves in one go; the leafing works best against that when things are spread out so that they can't be targeted in one go. Also, you may find that the leaves require at least one active instance of the spell (i.e. unused) still existing to use as a template, and having three Leaves in one hex may not count; aim for spreading things out a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
*Maintain Spell has a prereq count of 17 and some spells are even worse (Draw Power would be cast at effective skill 0!). Can I use the rule under Spell Defaults where if I know a spell in the prereq chain, the penalty is only the difference in the chain? Thus I could put points in Delay directly and then Link would be at -1 and Maintain Spell at -2 instead of -16 and -17, respectively? Because those get to be very long chains.
Provided that you can get Delay and put points into it by means of Wildcard Magic and Retention, that's all fine.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #685
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
The main issue with high TL was related to the fact that we had one character who had spent points to get to TL10 and then bought half of the gear'n'gizmos section of Ultra-Tech. When there are also TL3 players around, that becomes a bit unbalanced.
I see...

cameras are fine.

Grenades: I'll take 5 "smart" hand grenades from UT. They deal 8d*2 cr ex + 3d cut frag damage and weigh 1lb each, and cost 140$ each. Stats are in UT. basically they can be programmed for one of several options with three ready manuevers and remote controlled via computer.

Survival Kit:
Life Raft-- HT pg 60, 5 lb.
Envirobag--UT pg 75 (safe in -250F to 100F) 3 lbs + 2 lbs to make it sealed. 160$ *2 for sealed
5 meals of dehydrated food. ?lb ?$
water filter 1lb, 180% UT 75
basic hygiene equipment

Quote:
[*]Counterfeiting is a bit more awkward. The TL9 model is the size of a table, but by reducing it down to a scanner/ printer that can only handle things the size of credit cards, you should be okay. This comes out at briefcase size, and you'll need to provide the counterfeiting/ forgery rolls for it; so far it looks like Sam is the only one with points in that, and he was doing that sort of thing by hand, not on the computer.
Thats fine as is. Perhaps software could help with that? The TL difference may help things (TL 9 vs 8)

Quote:
  • A TL9 psi-amp is possible. Following steampunk rules it would be massive, however by taking a couple of shortcuts and applying some TL^ engineering rolls to TL9 production and design, you can end up with something that isn't as powerful but consists of a backpack and helmet.
There's lots of different rules for that: UT has some, there's a book dedicated to them... +2 talent via backpack and helmet less than ideal, but nice.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #686
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Okay, definitely confused, because I've got Michael's Telereceive advantage at 36 points at present, which is level 2. You've described going from level 3 (42 points) to level 4 (45 points), which is indeed removing the Short Range modifier, but only from Mind Reading.

I've just tracked down your character sheet, which lists Telereceive 3 against a cost of 36... Apparently I didn't check that as thoroughly as I should have... Please confirm what you've got on your copy of the sheet, and we may have to review this one.
Crap.... yeah, Thats right. Dang. He's been using that for a while, so we ought to get it fixed quickly....

Looks like 6 points will be going to improve Telerecieve, and we'll leave both of the advantages at level 3, with four unspent points.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #687
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
It all looks valid from here. As you say, getting it to work first time like that is optimistic, but otherwise it should do. Just be aware that someone hitting that one area with dispel would potentially be able to cancel all of the Leaves in one go; the leafing works best against that when things are spread out so that they can't be targeted in one go. Also, you may find that the leaves require at least one active instance of the spell (i.e. unused) still existing to use as a template, and having three Leaves in one hex may not count; aim for spreading things out a bit more.
Well, if there's potential for permanence like that, I might be able to get someone to sponsor me some power. The main reason I was using only one hex is that Link is an area spell with base cost 8 and that if I needed three leaves per hex to make sure it doesn't get overused. Even a radius-2 would be 43 FP total, and would require 21 leaves of Stop Bleeding.

I thought you'd need all the leaves to overlap, though. Didn't the blazen shield that I tried to dispel just have a lot of leaves in the same place so that they were all the same shape dome, rather than a bunch of little domes? Or do you just mean that leafing means you can't dispel it piece by piece, so a larger area would have to be dispelled all at once?



Quote:
Provided that you can get Delay and put points into it by means of Wildcard Magic and Retention, that's all fine.
Wildcard Magic assumes that spells don't even exist, but that's a very good use for Retention, yes! Fantastic.
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT

Last edited by momothefiddler; 07-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #688
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Well, if there's potential for permanence like that, I might be able to get someone to sponsor me some power. The main reason I was using only one hex is that Link is an area spell with base cost 8 and that if I needed three leaves per hex to make sure it doesn't get overused. Even a radius-2 would be 43 FP total, and would require 21 leaves of Stop Bleeding.

I thought you'd need all the leaves to overlap, though. Didn't the blazen shield that I tried to dispel just have a lot of leaves in the same place so that they were all the same shape dome, rather than a bunch of little domes? Or do you just mean that leafing means you can't dispel it piece by piece, so a larger area would have to be dispelled all at once?
The leaves don't need to overlap, but must be edge to edge (adjacent hexes or areas). What the Blazen have done previously was to create things like force walls that were five hexes wide in a long line with three hexes between them. Thus, dispelling or damaging one of them would only leave a single hex gap, which would be filled in fairly quickly.

The Blazen also have a version of this which allows them to Web spells rather than chaining them in a line as Leafing requires you to do; in their case each Leaf is being maintained by all of the adjacent Leaves rather than just the previous one in line. That means that they can do things like making domes by building it up like panels, where in order to make a dome you would need to make a long line that spiralled up and in or something similar. Leafing is the best that the Western Harbour has been able to do from the Blazen's Web spell so far.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #689
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Crap.... yeah, Thats right. Dang. He's been using that for a while, so we ought to get it fixed quickly....

Looks like 6 points will be going to improve Telerecieve, and we'll leave both of the advantages at level 3, with four unspent points.
I'll look over that shortly.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #690
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
The leaves don't need to overlap, but must be edge to edge (adjacent hexes or areas). What the Blazen have done previously was to create things like force walls that were five hexes wide in a long line with three hexes between them. Thus, dispelling or damaging one of them would only leave a single hex gap, which would be filled in fairly quickly.

The Blazen also have a version of this which allows them to Web spells rather than chaining them in a line as Leafing requires you to do; in their case each Leaf is being maintained by all of the adjacent Leaves rather than just the previous one in line. That means that they can do things like making domes by building it up like panels, where in order to make a dome you would need to make a long line that spiralled up and in or something similar. Leafing is the best that the Western Harbour has been able to do from the Blazen's Web spell so far.
Ahhhh. So things need to be physically adjacent to each other to be properly Leafed?
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.