Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #661
momothefiddler

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
R&D have come back with nothing unusual; the best they've been able to come up with so far is a few ideas about modifiers for Magery, but those aren't available at this time.
Sounds good. The time with them will have been well-spent anyway, since I'll be studying blazen magic and Leafing as well as making some friends with some of the lower-level people there - so they'll hopefully let me know if anything interesting comes along.

Requested point allocation:
-Blazen Thaumatology (Thaumalogy) Technique/H, -3 [4]
-Leafing 19 -> Leafing 20 [1]
-Contact Group (WH Magical R&D, Skill 12, Usually Reliable, Only at WH or at GM discretion) [5]

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #662
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Any word on the Jumper? I'm hoping to use it in coming adventures.
Hastily looking back to find details about Jumper...

Quote:
Jumper (Psionic -10%, Heavy Encumbrance +30%, Tracking +20%, Reliable +5 (only when tracking)+x%) [irrelevant]
Got it. Heavy Encumbrance lets you carry... Another person if they're lightweight (160 lbs). Not counting your own equipment. Tracking is fine, including the Reliable as well (I'd make that -40% since it'll be mostly used during emergencies). Be aware that you still need to take time to establish the providence of your chosen object, because such objects will still hang around (and be usable) after the Blazen have taken over a universe.

Quote:
I don't think Accessibility (not-blazen) will be worth the -20% on the total amnesia the ability needs to be effective in lowering it by one point. I also thought the amnesia was implied to not work on the Blazen by campaign default. Things to bring the cost down...
The difference in having the modifier is that without it the Total Amnesia tries to work and fails, but with it, it doesn't bother trying. Just a thought. I'd also wonder whether Total Amnesia is going to be helpful when you already have Daze in there, unless the increased duration only applies to the Amnesia part (which would have some effect on the cost I expect).

Quote:
Spending points: depends on if jumper goes through, and on the pact, but he will be placing points on upgrading telereceive to 4 (its three points), and drastically increases the range.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Sounds good. The time with them will have been well-spent anyway, since I'll be studying blazen magic and Leafing as well as making some friends with some of the lower-level people there - so they'll hopefully let me know if anything interesting comes along.

Requested point allocation:
-Blazen Thaumatology (Thaumalogy) Technique/H, -3 [4]
-Leafing 19 -> Leafing 20 [1]
-Contact Group (WH Magical R&D, Skill 12, Usually Reliable, Only at WH or at GM discretion) [5]
Looks good. Wildcard Magic will be useful here, because Leafing works best with things like shield spells and the like. It might be possible to look into researching ways to extend that to other spells.

Here's a project for you: what would it take to set up Leafed Great Healing spells across an area, with an attached Delay spell so that they activated when someone was injured. In theory (I need to recheck the rules I put down) the Leafing would regenerate the healing spell as soon as it was triggered. Why am I telling you this? You're meant to do the creative stuff... Grumble mumble grumble...
Old 07-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #663
momothefiddler

Quote:
Looks good. Wildcard Magic will be useful here, because Leafing works best with things like shield spells and the like. It might be possible to look into researching ways to extend that to other spells.

Here's a project for you: what would it take to set up Leafed Great Healing spells across an area, with an attached Delay spell so that they activated when someone was injured. In theory (I need to recheck the rules I put down) the Leafing would regenerate the healing spell as soon as it was triggered. Why am I telling you this? You're meant to do the creative stuff... Grumble mumble grumble...
By your initial listing, Leafing is only good as a defense against Dispelling (and implied Counterspelling/Suspend Spelling/etc). If it extends to replacing triggered things as well, that could be very useful.

In addition, Great Healing is a Regular spell and in fact (as I just noticed) there are no HP-restoring spells in the base system that work on more than one person at a time. That would also be potentially very useful.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #664
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Got it. Heavy Encumbrance lets you carry... Another person if they're lightweight (160 lbs). Not counting your own equipment. Tracking is fine, including the Reliable as well (I'd make that -40% since it'll be mostly used during emergencies). Be aware that you still need to take time to establish the providence of your chosen object, because such objects will still hang around (and be usable) after the Blazen have taken over a universe.
correct. Thus the "always researches and packs for exit worlds" perk thats been on the table for a while. I'll take the -40%. It shouldn't matter that much....

Quote:
The difference in having the modifier is that without it the Total Amnesia tries to work and fails, but with it, it doesn't bother trying. Just a thought. I'd also wonder whether Total Amnesia is going to be helpful when you already have Daze in there, unless the increased duration only applies to the Amnesia part (which would have some effect on the cost I expect).
increased duration is only for Amnesia. The idea is that loosing your memory is somewhat disorienting. Also, daze doesn't really have a duration: a companion has to "slap you out of it". If that means I can take a limitation....

Retalsk's gift:
Mind Wipe: Affliction (Malediction 2 +150%, Affects Blazen +50%, Total Amnesia (not on blazen -20%) +20%, Daze +50%, Extended Duration *10 (not on Daze -25%)+30% pact -10%) (+300%) [40]

Jumper (Psionic -10%, Heavy Encumbrance +30%, Tracking +20%, Reliable +5 (only when tracking -40%)+15%) [155]

And Michael actually has 18 points in his pocket at this point:

(his current sheet has 247 of the basic 250, he has 10 from here and 5 from the end of the western harbour attack. I also have a lot I want to add)

3 points to take telerecieve to level 4
5 to take suggestion to level 4
(increases range on both)

1 point in research perk (always researches exit routes before leaving world)
4 points in jumper skill IQ H
1 point in research skill IQ-1 A

2 points to increase duration of mind wipe to *30 (from +30% to +45%)
2 points unspent.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #665
momothefiddler

Quote:
In addition, Great Healing is a Regular spell and in fact (as I just noticed) there are no HP-restoring spells in the base system that work on more than one person at a time. That would also be potentially very useful.
Although I just realized that a Link spell cast on a healing spell would affect any relevant subject in the area of the Link. Then if Leafing resets on triggers as well as dispelling, it could repeat.

Of course, Link cannot be maintained, so I'm not sure how Leafing would work with that.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #666
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Totem,

Michael has had TL 9 for a while, but never used it other than for his weapon. I'm going to have him start packing equipment, with your blessing.

I'm aware that you recently changed character creation guidelines to exclude such things. Thus I'm going to ask permission first, and try to keep things simple, as well as mostly high TL 8.

Requests:
  • Automated Cameras, small, and a way to hook them up to a central system (a phone/datapad or laptop). I'm thinking five of them. And software to process the motion detected.
  • Several (7) small grenades/remote control bombs.
  • A "drop me where-ever" survival kit: (self inflating raft, extreme whether clothing, ect).
  • A laptop with info on the local world(and neighboring ones) and hopefully equipment to hook up to local systems (such as internet).
  • A device for counterfeiting wouldn't go poorly.
  • A psi-amplifier. Feel free to turn this down, its TL^ rather than TL9, and michael's world didn't use psi-tech.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #667
Lamech

Quote:
I can see it being useful once or twice per character on the team. That's assuming that they can be talked into allowing John to tattoo then with blood. I've come up with several characters who, despite interests in magic, psi, whatever, wouldn't be willing to be tattooed with blood even for some kind of major advantage.

Your best bet if you want something like this looks like being some kind of skill based around the Scroll or Amulet spell which lets you apply any spell as a permanent enhancement rather than a single enhancement. Semi-permanent at least; it's a magical tattoo so would probably need refreshing periodically as the power wears down, or if it's damaged. This does give you more options as you could tattoo Haste onto someone and they would be moving really fast the whole time. Or tattoo yourself with Missile Shield so that you never have to reactivate it.

You can add some kind of note to the effect that the tattoos need to be done using a suitable material (so add in an Alchemist technique for making this stuff, plus scrounging or similar for finding the materials). That part could be ignored if necessary.

I'm putting this forward because the advantage that you listed above will let you use only a single advantage (Basic Set does specify that it must be a specific advantage). This way takes longer and requires two rolls, but gives you a lot more options because you can just buy up the points in suitable spells in order to widen your options.
Hmm... point about only one advantage. I was thinking having the advantage enhancement twice (and got sloppy with notation), but I'm not actually sure if that is allowed. If that's the case we could switch it to charisma II. Always going to new places requires friends.

Also second thing is if I do go with the permanent affliction option I was assuming that people who get his with it would not need to spend CP. Being able to suddenly buy new abilities without a good reason is more along the lines of the "reawakened" advantage.

The thing with enchantment is its so damn expensive in terms of energy cost. And for IMO good reason. You should have trouble with big enchantments. That said, if John took high enough Fat Regen (Modified to only work for magic or possibly drain power) Advantage, and had access to a good power source, John could manage some serious enchantments, and for that matter bless two. (A little over 250 energy, enough for the dread wish items.) I could got that route, although I would like a bit of time (say a few days) to use it in the Western Harbour I.E. Retcon it in before this meeting, or while waiting in the ship.
Mechanics:
Spoiler:  
To be fair this is awfully thematic. Drawing energy from the storm and all that.

There is also the route of: "A ton of magery". With the pact limitation and the preexisting dance limit John could grab eight levels. Then John could throw all sorts of buff spells on the party and still be able to cast himself. Mechanics
Spoiler:  

I suppose all of these options leave potential game balance questions: The enchantment route can allows for some pretty major magic. Bless III, Wish, Power II (along with a vast and dazzling array of toys), Resurrection, Enslave, Wraith, Create 2500 point Elemental etc.
The Magery Route (and to a lesser degree the enchantment route) allow for some reasonably powerful spells to be tossed around, Reflex, Reverse Missiles, Haste, Flight sans maintenance cost. And more notably John will have a decent ability to spread the spells around to the party.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 07-11-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #668
momothefiddler

I'm certain that the similarity between TORIS and torus is entirely coincidental.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #669
Totem

Quote:
I'm certain that the similarity between TORIS and torus is entirely coincidental.
I don't know about "torus" but TORIS came from the Undocumented Features story Checkmate. I highly recommend this, along with the rest of the Undocumented Features series(es). Anyone with several months of spare time might want to consider reading this stuff; they've been writing it since 1991 (and are still going). Anyone getting ideas based on this should read the important note at the bottom of the series page though; I think I upset someone when I didn't...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #670
momothefiddler

Quote:
I don't know about "torus" but TORIS came from the Undocumented Features story Checkmate. I highly recommend this, along with the rest of the Undocumented Features series(es).
Hum. Good story. But the original wasn't a ring, so I guess it actually was coincidence!

Cool

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire