Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #651
rorikdude12

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Alright, alright. I ditched Dimensional Manipulation talent. Now it's only 360 Vision, so it's EXACTLY one ability.
rorikdude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #652
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I was actually thinking about that when I suggested it. Realms are described as integral facets of reality (it's mentioned that there may be multiple spell sets or symbol types but there's probably only one group of realms because it's so fundamental). They're leveled advantages with corresponding skills determining your level of control over that particular aspect of reality (vaguely like WoD Mage, if you know that).
Not making much sense at this end. As I said though, relying on generic magic will be safer if nothing else. Regarding WoD (World of Darkness?) I have more familiarity with the Werewolf side of things, and that was a few years ago.

Quote:
Looking over the options in Magic, I'll probably go with Wildcard magic. Lemme modify the sheet and I'll post it. Oh, and let me edit the thing where I looked at him, since that's not happening.

EDIT: How's this look? I wasn't sure what to do with Leafing, since it doesn't have a prerequisite count, so I left it as an individual spell.

Spoiler:  
This looks good. Leafing counts as a special spell because of the unusual origin, so that does need to be used separately to the rest of Magic! Remove the SOP altogether; if Lamech takes that tattooing option then you'll be able to get it done properly anyway. Otherwise everything seems to match up.

Quote:
Ah. Essentially Evangeline earns character points at the same rate I do (it'd be split among my possessions if I took this multiple times). Each character point is equivalent to 25 energy points for enchantment and you decide what those go into and when.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorikdude12 View Post
Alright, alright. I ditched Dimensional Manipulation talent. Now it's only 360 Vision, so it's EXACTLY one ability.
I'm fine with you taking more than one advantage here; the point is that they should come from the same basic ability. The point of this was to open up a few options that wouldn't normally be there in character updating. If nothing significant appeals then this is fine, and we'll move on; there's no requirement to take the full 40 points.

Moving on, the success of this mission was high. Admittedly you left over half of the (Human) population as Hollows, but that's easy enough to deal with and something will be dispatched to handle it promptly; there's some discussion about the type of system to use, but that's out of your (somewhat burnt) hands.

Everyone gets 10 points of regular levelling up to play with. This can include training in whatever the gift was, or filling in extra options elsewhere. Spend it as you will, but within the normal rules this time. I'll point out that those rules allow for quite a lot given the array of magic/ psi/ tech based at the Western Harbour. Once we've started working on that I'll kick off the next mission briefing.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #653
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Not making much sense at this end. As I said though, relying on generic magic will be safer if nothing else. Regarding WoD (World of Darkness?) I have more familiarity with the Werewolf side of things, and that was a few years ago.
World of Darkness, yeah. It was just an attempt at describing the concept; I'm going with wildcard magic, so it's not terribly important anyway.
Quote:
This looks good. Leafing counts as a special spell because of the unusual origin, so that does need to be used separately to the rest of Magic! Remove the SOP altogether; if Lamech takes that tattooing option then you'll be able to get it done properly anyway.
Alright. Should I put that point in Magic! (leaving it at 24 points) or just drop it from my total (leaving Magic! at 23 points)?
Quote:
Everyone gets 10 points of regular levelling up to play with. This can include training in whatever the gift was, or filling in extra options elsewhere. Spend it as you will, but within the normal rules this time. I'll point out that those rules allow for quite a lot given the array of magic/ psi/ tech based at the Western Harbour. Once we've started working on that I'll kick off the next mission briefing.
I'd like to change Thaumatology, IQ/VH (19) [1] to Thaumatology(Blazen), IQ/H (21) [2], putting one of my points in it to keep all non-Blazen things at 19 (don't want to somehow forget things by gaining experience) but placing blazen-specific magic theory at 21. Is that okay?
I'll also put at least one more point in Leafing, then the other points will depend on whether there's anything new to learn regarding blazen magic.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #654
rorikdude12

Sooo...

How much do I have in terms of requisitioning credit then?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #655
Totem

Quote:
World of Darkness, yeah. It was just an attempt at describing the concept; I'm going with wildcard magic, so it's not terribly important anyway.Alright. Should I put that point in Magic! (leaving it at 24 points) or just drop it from my total (leaving Magic! at 23 points)?I'd like to change Thaumatology, IQ/VH (19) [1] to Thaumatology(Blazen), IQ/H (21) [2], putting one of my points in it to keep all non-Blazen things at 19 (don't want to somehow forget things by gaining experience) but placing blazen-specific magic theory at 21. Is that okay?
I'll also put at least one more point in Leafing, then the other points will depend on whether there's anything new to learn regarding blazen magic.
Minor point: could you please stop removing the extra line breaks from stuff because what I've posted here is what I got from selecting the reply option for your post. I'm guessing that it's something that you're doing because I'm not seeing it for anyone else. Just saying; it's a bit confusing.

At this time I'd say claim that spare point as hanging around randomly waiting to be used for retention.

The generic VH option would be a prerequisite for the Blazen specific one, and I'd rule that the Blazen one can't exceed the generic one. It's a complicated field of study, based around observations made in the field rather than study under controlled conditions, and taxes you to the limit of your understanding because it relies on very peculiar uses of otherwise regular magic. I would recommend it being treated as a Hard technique defaulting to -6. So... Buy things up from there.

Regarding new spells, let me check with R&D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorikdude12 View Post
Sooo...

How much do I have in terms of requisitioning credit then?
Assume that you have Starting Wealth / 2, and I'd be surprised if you manage to use it all. The void blade and Omni-blaster don't come out of that. I'd recommend holding off on major decisions about supplies until you've got the details from the mission briefing.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #656
momothefiddler

Quote:
Minor point: could you please stop removing the extra line breaks from stuff because what I've posted here is what I got from selecting the reply option for your post. I'm guessing that it's something that you're doing because I'm not seeing it for anyone else. Just saying; it's a bit confusing.
Ooh, I hadn't thought about how it affected people quoting it! I'm sorry. It's a habit I picked up in PMs to save characters.

Quote:
At this time I'd say claim that spare point as hanging around randomly waiting to be used for retention.
Alrighty.

Quote:
The generic VH option would be a prerequisite for the Blazen specific one, and I'd rule that the Blazen one can't exceed the generic one. It's a complicated field of study, based around observations made in the field rather than study under controlled conditions, and taxes you to the limit of your understanding because it relies on very peculiar uses of otherwise regular magic. I would recommend it being treated as a Hard technique defaulting to -6. So... Buy things up from there.
A technique makes sense. I'll do that.

Quote:
Sounds good.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #657
rorikdude12

Alright, I put 4 points into Fast-Draw:Sword, 1 point into the perk Quick-Sheath: Sword, 2 points into Stealth, and 3 points into Brawling.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #658
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok... power to both hit blazen and to be (somewhat) effective in combat:

Mind Cleanse: Affliction (Malediction 2 +150%, Dazing +50%, Affects Blazen (kind of) +50%, inflicts Total Amnesia +25%, *30 duration +60%*) [44]

The effects blazen will just knock them out rather than inflicting the amnesia and dazing them.

I hope this is valid.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #659
Totem

Quote:
R&D have come back with nothing unusual; the best they've been able to come up with so far is a few ideas about modifiers for Magery, but those aren't available at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Ok... power to both hit blazen and to be (somewhat) effective in combat:

Mind Cleanse: Affliction (Malediction 2 +150%, Dazing +50%, Affects Blazen (kind of) +50%, inflicts Total Amnesia +25%, *30 duration +60%*) [44]

The effects blazen will just knock them out rather than inflicting the amnesia and dazing them.

I hope this is valid.
Points thus far:

Jorin:
Gift (max 40): Reassigning Magery to Wildcard Magic
Ongoing (10): Unsure, but it involves Thaumatology

John:
Gift (max 40): Blood tattoos (maybe just regular ones?)
Ongoing (10): Fit, Flexible

Jacob:
Gift (max 40): 360 Vision
Ongoing (10): 4 points into Fast-Draw:Sword, 1 point into the perk Quick-Sheath: Sword [note: not sure about this one but I guess it's the opposite of fast-draw], 2 points into Stealth, and 3 points into Brawling

Michael:
Gift (max 40): Currently at 44 points rather than 40. I don't object to the extra 10 points being added onto the existing power, but there must be a 40 point stage in there. I'd recommend a cut-down version or applying an Accessibility (Doesn't work on Blazen) to the Total Amnesia part.
Ongoing (10): Nothing yet

All looks good so far. I'll post the start of the next mission briefing so that we can keep moving.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #660
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Michael:
Gift (max 40): Currently at 44 points rather than 40. I don't object to the extra 10 points being added onto the existing power, but there must be a 40 point stage in there. I'd recommend a cut-down version or applying an Accessibility (Doesn't work on Blazen) to the Total Amnesia part.
Ongoing (10): Nothing yet

All looks good so far. I'll post the start of the next mission briefing so that we can keep moving.
Any word on the Jumper? I'm hoping to use it in coming adventures.

I don't think Accessibility (not-blazen) will be worth the -20% on the total amnesia the ability needs to be effective in lowering it by one point. I also thought the amnesia was implied to not work on the Blazen by campaign default. Things to bring the cost down...

pact: Something inside me says I can somehow use this in a creative way to apply it to the total number instead of to the base cost of 10 (which will save only one point). I can't find the page reference though.

Reducing duration: initially use a *3 duration. This is valid, but feels like he increases in power in the mean time. If I can't find the pact stuff I'll go with this.

Spending points: depends on if jumper goes through, and on the pact, but he will be placing points on upgrading telereceive to 4 (its three points), and drastically increases the range.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire