Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #591
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
As Veya pointed out, their mind control abilities are based around language rather than telepathy; there are no native telepaths or magic users in this universe. If Michael has misunderstood then I'm not objecting to this, I'm just reminding you what's up.
Michael is aware of this: to him messing with minds is messing with minds, and therefore telepathy.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #592
momothefiddler

Quote:
The... Gradient...
...Wow. You're right. I really should have worked that out.

I just figured they were trapped because they weren't natural world jumpers and this was where they were when WH withdrew support. Then, apparently, I ignored further evidence rather than reevaluating my position.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #593
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
...Wow. You're right. I really should have worked that out.

I just figured they were trapped because they weren't natural world jumpers and this was where they were when WH withdrew support. Then, apparently, I ignored further evidence rather than reevaluating my position.
It's more a case of them throwing around a term that appears to have some significance to them and no one enquiring what it means. Yes, chasing up every single such phrase could potentially be long-winded, but in this case it was significant.

Just to make it clear: the gradient in this case is a variety of factors including time-flow, relative energy levels and about a dozen other things. This happens between all universes due to various boundary conditions, but normally (if we rolled for every jump between universes) would only come out at 1; in this case it comes out at about -30 to any world-jumping roll.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #594
momothefiddler

Quote:
It's more a case of them throwing around a term that appears to have some significance to them and no one enquiring what it means. Yes, chasing up every single such phrase could potentially be long-winded, but in this case it was significant.
I even remember thinking "lobster pot? I don't get it. Must be some reference to how the blazen are gonna boil the world."
I'm ashamed! And this definitely isn't the first example of that sort of thing. I enjoy roleplaying but beyond combat I definitely need to get better at effectively handling things (like persuading barons!)
Quote:
Just to make it clear: the gradient in this case is a variety of factors including time-flow, relative energy levels and about a dozen other things. This happens between all universes due to various boundary conditions, but normally (if we rolled for every jump between universes) would only come out at 1; in this case it comes out at about -30 to any world-jumping roll.
That's quite a bit.

I don't know what options are available to these new people, but my initial thought is a ceremonial casting of a Gate spell, since I can't think of any way to overcome penalties that huge with advantages. The problem is that I wouldn't be at 15 with Wild Talent, so I can't head the casting, and John's Wild Talent only works in moonlight which could be a big issue with the length of time. Although! The cats live on the moon, right? They could take us there and we could be constantly in moonlight, perhaps.... Anyway, with a mere 5600 energy we could be on our way.

OH but hollows probably can't do magic, which means if we want to ever get out, we can't take the easy solution of just converting everyone. I just thought of that. That makes everything harder, especially considering that it's exactly the opposite of what my character's suggesting. Augh.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #595
Totem

Quote:
I even remember thinking "lobster pot? I don't get it. Must be some reference to how the blazen are gonna boil the world."
I'm ashamed! And this definitely isn't the first example of that sort of thing. I enjoy roleplaying but beyond combat I definitely need to get better at effectively handling things (like persuading barons!)
Don't be too worries by it this time around; it's one of those things with various kind of fiction, including TV series, where someone mentions something and then you get provided with the explanation later on. RPGs are different in that you need to actually ask for the information, or hope that the GM will provide it.

This is one of those things of style of play that different people have different ideas about. If all else fails in situations like this, just ask me and I'll let you know whether your character could legitimately know it (with or without a roll) or if you should ask the GM-NPC (Veya in this case).

Quote:
I don't know what options are available to these new people, but my initial thought is a ceremonial casting of a Gate spell, since I can't think of any way to overcome penalties that huge with advantages. The problem is that I wouldn't be at 15 with Wild Talent, so I can't head the casting, and John's Wild Talent only works in moonlight which could be a big issue with the length of time. Although! The cats live on the moon, right? They could take us there and we could be constantly in moonlight, perhaps.... Anyway, with a mere 5600 energy we could be on our way.

OH but hollows probably can't do magic, which means if we want to ever get out, we can't take the easy solution of just converting everyone. I just thought of that. That makes everything harder, especially considering that it's exactly the opposite of what my character's suggesting. Augh.
As per the rules on using moonlight, being on the moon itself wouldn't help as such (the phase of the planet that is listed would only be light for about 12 hours tops).

There are no rules about hollows being able to or not being able to do magic. You do need to be aware that you'd have to float an island quite close to the ocean in order to cast magic effectively (mana is levelled by altitude, so you're currently at low-mana, further down is normal, then high mana). You're still talking about a massive amount of mana being necessary to escape.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #596
momothefiddler

Quote:
As per the rules on using moonlight, being on the moon itself wouldn't help as such (the phase of the planet that is listed would only be light for about 12 hours tops).
Well that's not gonna work, then. Gate takes a second per energy point, multiplied by 10 for ceremonial casting means something like sixteen hours to cast. Though... if I'm reading your rulings right, the spell itself doesn't have to be cast under moonlight; only the 8-hour preparation needs that. So it's possible (if not plausible).
Quote:
There are no rules about hollows being able to or not being able to do magic. You do need to be aware that you'd have to float an island quite close to the ocean in order to cast magic effectively (mana is levelled by altitude, so you're currently at low-mana, further down is normal, then high mana). You're still talking about a massive amount of mana being necessary to escape.
Hum. I thought Ceremonial Magic's requirement that supporters do so of their own free will (and thus not be mind-controlled) would also disallow creatures without any will at all. If not, that helps. Though yes, this is a massive amount of mana. My "mere 5600" was intended to be sarcastic (sorry). It's not completely impossible, though, while as far as I can tell using an advantage would be (at least without sticking around long enough to raise my IQ to ~40, including the various epic magic necessary to support that).

Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #597
Lamech

I suppose the real question about this gradient is if the Blazen eat this world, what would happen to their attempts to make CTVs (is that the term its been a while) out to other worlds. Would they suddenly be eating a -30? Because if not I have an answer to the Blazen problem!
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #598
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I suppose the real question about this gradient is if the Blazen eat this world, what would happen to their attempts to make CTVs (is that the term its been a while) out to other worlds. Would they suddenly be eating a -30? Because if not I have an answer to the Blazen problem!
The Blazen are connecting to this universe without any apparent issues so far. Opening a CVE would probably cause a bit of a bump, but once this universe was firmly converted to match theirs the time-flows would stabilise. They can soak up that kind of bump with minimal issues (or nothing significant anyway).
Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #599
Lamech

Alright then no sacrificing this world.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #600
rorikdude12

My character isn't there right now, but if approached later, he'd like to go take over an island!
rorikdude12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire