Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1131
momothefiddler

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Jorin's willing to do magic disguises again if anyone asks, but otherwise it's not a big deal.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #1132
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
[Wolf: PER 13: 3+2+4 = 9 vs Jorin: Illusion Disguise 17 or 11 (range modifier should now apply for Jorin being across the road while maintaining this). Unless someone can tell me otherwise, that looks like a successful Quick Contest.]
I'm not sure why range modifiers apply to that. It feels like applying a -1/yd to the damage roll on missile spells, or something. Maintenance (M9) says "Distance is not a factor" and Illusion Disguise (M96) says that the spell "superimposes the illusion over the subject, so it covers him and moves with him" and notes that "Concentration is not required to maintain the disguise", so it's not like Jorin's consciously controlling something he can't see to react to an unseen situation either.

That said, I don't have any actual rule citation against your PER vs Original Casting - Current Range, because I'm not sure where you got that. I can't even find rules for noticing that illusions are anything but real anyway, which is a big deal and should definitely have rules but if they're here I can't find them SO....

Oh, and it'd be vs 11. The 17 was an automatic failure, which is why he had to re-cast.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #1133
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
I'm not sure why range modifiers apply to that. It feels like applying a -1/yd to the damage roll on missile spells, or something. Maintenance (M9) says "Distance is not a factor" and Illusion Disguise (M96) says that the spell "superimposes the illusion over the subject, so it covers him and moves with him" and notes that "Concentration is not required to maintain the disguise", so it's not like Jorin's consciously controlling something he can't see to react to an unseen situation either.

That said, I don't have any actual rule citation against your PER vs Original Casting - Current Range, because I'm not sure where you got that. I can't even find rules for noticing that illusions are anything but real anyway, which is a big deal and should definitely have rules but if they're here I can't find them SO....

Oh, and it'd be vs 11. The 17 was an automatic failure, which is why he had to re-cast.
Yeah, I just finished editing that post.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #1134
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
Wolf works as a cartographer; his work takes him outside the dome for long periods (thus his current extended holiday/ weekend) during which time he and the rest of the crew of his craft are engaged in tracking the shifts in the snow and ice outside.
His hobbies, aside from being a Drennie, include working out at the gym and some physical activities of that kind. Basically, prep work for his main hobby.
Michael doesn't get anything on the subject of philosophies.
He has more luck regarding politics, but it's still hard to understand without a decent background on this world.
I'm not sure where we want to take this from here. I can move things on again, but otherwise I'm waiting for input.

Oops: there was a response while I was writing this. Sorry.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #1135
Lamech

Sorry I've been slow recently. IRL has been nasty. On the plus side I have updated John's equipment part of his sheet to account for the fact that he dropped most of it when he went Ethereal.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #1136
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael rolls his eyes at the argument: they are quite good at tech, and very intelligent, and even good at reconnaissance, but they're new at this, and they need to remember that. He's also quite sceptical that the terrorists have anything to do with anything: they have no relation to Patrick wolf, and he's always, always been in the thick of things. But the only way to convince these puffed up amateurs is to prove them wrong, which shouldn't take much time at all.

He'll say as much, though much more diplomatically. Mostly he's saying it so he can have the leverage of being right when he comes back with no sign of the Blazen-- he has no intent of winning or even starting an argument, only stating his knowledge.
Trying to work out where this came from. Michael doesn't have Overconfidence or Megalomania in his character sheet, and I was hoping that I'd managed to convey properly the thought that the Hilba are advanced. They are a long way from being new at this sort of thing: entire species have been wiped out by the Hilba without even knowing that war had been declared, and their standard tricks in a more conventional war include having supply convoys redirected, arranging for misallocation of resources, and stuff like that. Intelligence work is meat and drink to them.

Also, to clarify. You've been after three groups that the Hilba have identified so far: William Penn, the Drennies, and the terrorists. The fourth group is the 'concerned citizens', and it's these that you're currently after. If this doesn't come up with anything then you'll need to look around for other options, but the Hilba can't immediately come up with any.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #1137
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its from his paranoia: he's convinced that the real threat is associated with Patrick Wolf, and that the hilba's 'concerned citizens' group is them being ametuers at dealing with the blazen (not in general, but the blazen). I go the impression haven't really been fighting the blazen up until this point, and they are at a handicap when dealing with the supernatural (which they make up with tech, but it still limits them).

Its also his annoyance at their annoyance, and his general paranoia (and thus dislike) about people who put psi-bombs in their heads. He's twitchy at being considered a lesser partner, and disgruntled at them butting into the command structure. Their behavior is quite arrogant, and he's used to being one of the smartest and the most tech savy in the room.

Its not overconfidence. Its dislike and a lack of trust.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #1138
momothefiddler

hey guys sorry i haven't been around i've been slammed with work and doctor stuff and it will hopefully let up a little sometime next week but maybe not... feel free to continue without me, and kick me if necessary (hopefully it won't be though)

Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #1139
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I thought its was a non-skill based malediction and thus based on raw will (15). If its a IQ-based skill, Michael should probably be able to throw his telepath talent into the mix; Wiping someone's mind is a very telepathy themed ability. Its possible no points have gone into it and the default is IQ-6 with a +4 for the telepathy talent, I admit.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #1140
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I thought its was a non-skill based malediction and thus based on raw will (15). If its a IQ-based skill, Michael should probably be able to throw his telepath talent into the mix; Wiping someone's mind is a very telepathy themed ability. Its possible no points have gone into it and the default is IQ-6 with a +4 for the telepathy talent, I admit.
I've got: Mind Blast Skill IQ-2 (/H) 16 [1]
This includes IQ (14) -2 (relative level) +4 (Telepathic Talent).

I'll check back and see where that came from later.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire