Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #1121
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Word of warning, and a request that we all get this sorted out in the near future: I'm not going to be online from the 25th to the 1st. I'll try to leave things in a sensible place in time for that. If anyone else is going to vanish for a while, now might be a good time to mention it rather than us all leaving things hanging.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #1122
Lamech

Sorry about vanishing. Computer trouble followed by a trip. And another trip tomorrow. I'll get something up today though.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1123
momothefiddler

I'm still trying to figure this out, so I guess I should just ask:

Why did the man with me stop? Wasn't he as protected from the gas as I was? Is there something mysterious here? Did I manage to move at all in between castings? How far am I from John and Sourn? How far am I from the apparent edge of the effect? Approximately how big are these little bugs anyway, and how heavy, to my guess? Are they likely to be alive in the metaphysical sense (that is, do they get to resist spells that living beings get to resist)? Am I correct in reading Pull (M146) to have a ST score for radius and contest difficulty only, and that the effects are uniform for anything up to 20xST? That is, this doesn't require any sort of factoring in of B17 or B353 or so on? I'm hoping so, because otherwise it's really confusing and complicated. Finally, given the Pull is 1FP per 2 points of ST, is it possible to cast it at less than 2ST, as long as I still pay the full 1FP?

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #1124
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
  1. Why did the man with me stop? Wasn't he as protected from the gas as I was? Is there something mysterious here?
  2. Did I manage to move at all in between castings?
  3. How far am I from John and Sourn?
  4. How far am I from the apparent edge of the effect?
  5. Approximately how big are these little bugs anyway, and how heavy, to my guess? Are they likely to be alive in the metaphysical sense (that is, do they get to resist spells that living beings get to resist)?
  6. Am I correct in reading Pull (M146) to have a ST score for radius and contest difficulty only, and that the effects are uniform for anything up to 20xST? That is, this doesn't require any sort of factoring in of B17 or B353 or so on? I'm hoping so, because otherwise it's really confusing and complicated.
  7. Finally, given the Pull is 1FP per 2 points of ST, is it possible to cast it at less than 2ST, as long as I still pay the full 1FP?
Running short on time, and this will probably be my last post until August. All answers here are potentially skewed by me not having time to look stuff up immediately, and I'll recheck when I get the chance.
  1. If Jorin's protection extended as far as the man he was with, then yes, he will have been protected. Otherwise he wasn't; adjust things accordingly. He'll be pretty startled if he is protected, and probably step out of range on principle.
  2. Probably, it depends on the timing of them.
  3. Sourn and John were searching other quadrants. I'm losing track of ranges here, but line of sight is out with everyone in the way.
  4. Which effect? The gas is covering the plaza, and presumably getting out through the accessways into the park and the rest of the city. The quickest way to escape it would be to get to higher ground as it doesn't seem to get beyond a couple of metres off the ground at the moment.
  5. Small (assume SM -9), and no heavier than a pack of cards. They don't count as alive unless Jorin is likely to see them that way, in which case he'll be making himself make the resistance roll, so to speak.
  6. Not sure, really run out of time.

I will get back to this when I return.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #1125
Totem

Back again, attempt two:

Quote:
  1. Why did the man with me stop? Wasn't he as protected from the gas as I was? Is there something mysterious here?
  2. Did I manage to move at all in between castings?
  3. How far am I from John and Sourn?
  4. How far am I from the apparent edge of the effect?
  5. Approximately how big are these little bugs anyway, and how heavy, to my guess? Are they likely to be alive in the metaphysical sense (that is, do they get to resist spells that living beings get to resist)?
  6. Am I correct in reading Pull (M146) to have a ST score for radius and contest difficulty only, and that the effects are uniform for anything up to 20xST? That is, this doesn't require any sort of factoring in of B17 or B353 or so on? I'm hoping so, because otherwise it's really confusing and complicated.
  7. Finally, given the Pull is 1FP per 2 points of ST, is it possible to cast it at less than 2ST, as long as I still pay the full 1FP?
  1. If Jorin's protection extended as far as the man he was with, then yes, he will have been protected. Otherwise he wasn't; adjust things accordingly. He'll be pretty startled if he is protected, and probably step out of range on principle or by mistake.
  2. Probably, it depends on the timing of them. There wasn't much time between seeing the gas coming and inhaling, so it does depend if Jorin was already protected.
  3. Sourn and John were searching other quadrants. I'm losing track of ranges here, but line of sight is out with everyone in the way.
  4. Which effect? The gas is covering the plaza, and presumably getting out through the accessways into the park and the rest of the city. The quickest way to escape it would be to get to higher ground as it doesn't seem to get beyond a couple of metres off the ground at the moment. Either that or run for some clear space; the park would probably be easiest for that, which is through a now stationary crowd... Less than a minute, if you shove hard enough.
  5. Small (assume SM -9), and no heavier than a pack of cards. They don't count as alive unless Jorin is likely to see them that way, in which case he'll be making himself make the resistance roll, so to speak. Assume that there isn't a roll.
  6. By my reading, you could put in 1 FP and get an attractive force of 2 at range 0-1 and 1 at range 1-2. With 2 FP it would be 4 (0-1), 3 (1-2), 2 (2-3), and 1 (3-4). Living things resist (the macrobots aren't living). It doesn't look like the Move increases with increased energy. Also, it doesn't appear to be affected by encumbrance. Basically, if it is less than 20xST then it affects it uniformly, anything over that isn't affected. I hope that makes sense; give me some more specifics and I'll try to be more precise.
  7. You can reduce Pull below ST 2, but realistically if you drop it below ST 1 you won't achieve anything. All this will effectively do is reduce the range.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #1126
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
[OOC: Repel makes more sense than Pull.]
Yeah, I just worded the question in terms of Pull because that's where all the actual rules are. Repel is just 'Pull but the other direction'.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #1127
momothefiddler

I take it neither Michael's dude nor mine yielded any evidence of Blazen activity under (Michael's) inspection?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #1128
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael will try to get his guy back to the hilba, still willing if he can manage it. between fast talk and suggestion it shouldn't be too hard. He'll try to get all the information he can about who the terrorist leaders are: Its quite possible that these guys aren't enough of the core minority that they can be infected.
Quote:
I take it neither Michael's dude nor mine yielded any evidence of Blazen activity under (Michael's) inspection?
There is no indication of Blazen activity present in anyone that you managed to bring back. Nor is there, when the Hilba get involved and start asking questions, any sign of the terrorists having stepped up their efforts or made any particularly dramatic moves recently. The cell structure means that tracking anything back is going to be hard; the Hilba take what they can get, but there isn't anything immediately obvious here. They set their questers to trawling the internet, but there's no immediate hits.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #1129
pfharlock

Inebreation: 2
Sourn: 0

:)
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #1130
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael: "Is it really advisable to ignore him? He's shown up on every world I've seen blazen on but the first, and every time he's been in close proximity to the blazen. Every time. the minister in charge of the battle between the two sides, one of which is the core of the blazen. A prime target of the blazen, even though he wasn't possessed in the dream. actually possessed on the western harbour itself. He's got to have something to do with this. One connection is one thing, but three in a row? There is something going on here."
To clarify further on this:

Against Chu'dam: Patrick Wolf was a police officer who was part of Chu'dam's cult. Blazen weren't present there, but a world-jumping entity was.
Abteilung 16: Patrick Wolf was the Verger for the Clerics (American special forces on a mission in the UK). He was fighting the Blazen rather than being inhabited.
Chapter 2.5: Interlude in the Glass City: Patrick Wolf was actually Petrik Wulf, a Shakti who was killed before you found him, but was definitely inhabited by a Blazen.
Chapter 3: Rip World: You only met one local, and Patrick Wolf wasn't him.
Chapter 4: Sky Cities: Patrick Wolf was a senior minister in the nation opposing the Blazen-controlled nation.
Chapter 5: Fear Itself: Patrick Wolf was one of the Brave, a group trapped in a nightmare dreamscape who were inhabited by Blazen which made them particularly resistant to fear.
Chapter 6: Blockade Tactics: Patrick Wolf is currently a significant member of a local group called the Drennies.

He's also previously been tracked back in some form or another to every single universe that any of you have ever visited. He's been more obvious on worlds where the Blazen exist or someone is world-jumping.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire