Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Anders

Default Preparing before combat

I was just watching Buffy, and Spike was analysing the Slayer's moves on video (this was back when he was still a credible threat). That's a really neat idea and it has, of course, not been lost on sports' coaches everywhere. But what's the game benefits of doing it?

I suggest +1 to an Active Defense roll or +2 to an Attack roll, to be used up to three different times during the actual fight, match, etc. And of course, concrete information about combinations, typical responses (always uses All-Out Attack after scoring a knockback) etc.

Any other thoughts?

Author of Winged Folk.

The GURPS Discord. Drop by and say hi!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
PseudoFenton

Default Re: Preparing before combat

+1 defence to any techniques or targeted attacks they employ often in a fight, as if they had already used it three time previously in the fight. As having studied their fighting preferences you'd clearly be expecting the 'unexpected' right hook and know their bias towards throat punches etc.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 02:09 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Jetman123

A similar benefit to Style Familiarity, although not actually bought as a perk. You ignore up to -1 in penalties for feints and defensive attacks they make, as long as they're using tactics/combat skills/techniques that you have seen.

You should also use the rules under Reputation in Martial Arts, which is basically the same circumstance. If a fighter always goes for the neck with a knife stab, and you've seen a dozen fights where he's done that, you will be prepared for his methods and defend against that specific attack as a bonus, as if you succeeded on a Reputation check to know about his favorite tactic.

This is of special value against fighters who use Combinations, as such things are expensive but devastating - and tend to be favorite maneuvers, meaning they use them often (otherwise, why did you spend so many points on it/spend so much time training on it?) Moreover, it means you defend at a significant bonus against the entire combination (after parrying the first blow, you're at +1 to avoid the rest of it, in ADDITION to whatever defense bonus you have because you know what comes next)
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman123 View Post
This is of special value against fighters who use Combinations, as such things are expensive but devastating - and tend to be favorite maneuvers, meaning they use them often (otherwise, why did you spend so many points on it/spend so much time training on it?) Moreover, it means you defend at a significant bonus against the entire combination (after parrying the first blow, you're at +1 to avoid the rest of it, in ADDITION to whatever defense bonus you have because you know what comes next)
Oh my. I just realised that this makes Combination a very dubious choice for tournament fighters to ever learn. By the time you used it a half-dozen times in the ring, all newer opponents will know about it.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Anders

I also realized that if Buffy and her friends had any concept of sharing information they could have crammed everything into one season.

Author of Winged Folk.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
fifiste

To chip in some IQ based roll should probably be done while analyzing videos, spectating fights etc. For such reason.
Maybe IQ based combat or combat art roll, or tactics and/or observation(to note the weak points and plan accordingly)?. Probably with significant bonus for extensive material, time spent etc. But I can totally see that some-one who is stupid enough(or just not experienced martial arts wise*) just staring those few matches for hours and not learning anything useful or even coming to actively bad conclusions of what to do. Or just forgetting every plan at the moment he steps into the ring, gets hit with a first punch.

* I think that some IQ based combat or sport/ art skill (depending on circumstances) would be pretty good. As a non boxer/judoka etc. I could probably get much use of watching someones matches for hours on, or then just some very obvious and simple ideas. But someone more experience with the sport and rules etc. would probably get much more out of it.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
To chip in some IQ based roll should probably be done while analyzing videos, spectating fights etc. For such reason.
Maybe IQ based combat or combat art roll, or tactics and/or observation(to note the weak points and plan accordingly)?. Probably with significant bonus for extensive material, time spent etc.
Tactics? Intelligence Analysis?

Author of Winged Folk.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
fifiste

Definitely - especially on a more military like information fight.
(Video footage of person, squad etc. you want to engage in an actual lethal wafare ).
For more sporty stuff like boxing or wrestling match etc. I think games(wrestling), or IQ based karate sport/art. could be the thing. I think tactic is a bit too much to asked - maybe for some odd proffessional coaches and team members for high level support team etc. though even in this case there should be some optional specialty for their tactics etc. as I do severely doubt it's gonna be the same skill for preparing for boxing match and a positioning your AT teams and measuring out the fire sectors :D.

So yeah probably different skills for different uses but what I mean generally there should be some skill also involved in making use of this info. (with maybe even a possibility to mess up and make some disuse depending on the info quality and skill levels etc.)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
Maybe IQ based combat or combat art roll, or tactics and/or observation(to note the weak points and plan accordingly)?. Probably with significant bonus for extensive material, time spent etc. But I can totally see that some-one who is stupid enough(or just not experienced martial arts wise*) just staring those few matches for hours and not learning anything useful or even coming to actively bad conclusions of what to do. Or just forgetting every plan at the moment he steps into the ring, gets hit with a first punch.

* I think that some IQ based combat or sport/ art skill (depending on circumstances) would be pretty good. As a non boxer/judoka etc. I could probably get much use of watching someones matches for hours on, or then just some very obvious and simple ideas. But someone more experience with the sport and rules etc. would probably get much more out of it.
I kinda want to treat this as a Complementary Skill roll, applying to rolls against Feints and to defenses against Deceptive Attacks and Combinations.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonuses, combat