Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-29-2024, 12:18 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Template Toolkit 4: Spirits

I am not alone
I feel rather than sense it
I am not alone
— The voice in your head at night
The concept of "spirits" is almost universal across cultures, and also plays a big role in fiction. Some of these entities are emanant from nature, others reside only partly in the material world, and yet others exist on higher (or lower) planes. Many defy categorization, changing as soon as you try to describe them. But They are always there.

For a game, though, you need to nail things down a bit more, and that's what GURPS Template Toolkit 4: Spirits is for. It offers a typology-based system of stacking templates that lets you quickly define any spirit you can dream up (including ones that are actually dreamt up), and offers new abilities and powers to help you flesh out your creations. It also takes time to visit the spirit realms, and suggests ways to handle magic linked to these domains and their inhabitants.

Remove the complications of dealing with spirits from your game – leave those to the shamans and mediums!

Store Link: https://warehouse23.com/products/gur...lkit-4-spirits
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Template Toolkit 4: Spirits

My brief blog description
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2024/0...4-spirits.html

Hope people find this supplement useful!
EDIT
I will be listing some designers note links in this post so its easy to find for those not reading every post in the thread.
Designers Notes Devotion Power Modifier
Designers Notes 2: Example Builds Three very basic examples for builds that might be an Ally.
Designers Notes 3 Updating GURPS Classics entries
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 03-04-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:46 PM   #3
Anders

Does this supplement contain any data on alcoholic spirits?

Author of Winged Folk.

The GURPS Discord. Drop by and say hi!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
LOL Sorry, missed that one. Though you could mix and match a few templates.
Elemental, Water and Embodied Spirit (Fetish) for a nice mix.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-29-2024, 12:51 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

Nothing prevents you from giving any of the spirits in the book Alcoholism, although I don't think the option is specifically encouraged. It would fit certain lwa.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:04 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

I was a play tester on this, and have spent some time today skimming my play tester's copy of the final product. Really happy how this turned out! Clarifies a lot that was previously not-very-clear.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I was a play tester on this, and have spent some time today skimming my play tester's copy of the final product. Really happy how this turned out! Clarifies a lot that was previously not-very-clear.
Thank you, that was one of my major goals for this one. Especially hoped to address questions regarding things like Indomitable, Spirit Empathy, and Insubstantiality and Shapechanging that I have seen come up in play or on the forums.
Kromm and Nikki were a great help and I appreciated his patience and work with me on trying to reword some of the verbiage so that it could be placed alongside Basic and maybe just grok better.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-29-2024, 07:17 PM   #8
RyanW

Ha, I had only recently heard that this was in the pipeline (or if I had heard before, I had forgotten) and was disappointed that it wasn't going to be available in time for a project I thought it would be useful for. And then it shows up just a few days later.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Ha, I had only recently heard that this was in the pipeline (or if I had heard before, I had forgotten) and was disappointed that it wasn't going to be available in time for a project I thought it would be useful for. And then it shows up just a few days later.
Awesome, let me know if it is useful or you have questions. After a few days I will be doing some designers notes.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 02-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

Another thing: I really like the new powers, and the new Devotion source. Now I'm thinking about appropriate disadvantages for various types of spirits. I feel like a lot are probably going to have a relatively narrow Sense of Duty worth only -5 points. To get to -10 points you probably want to add a -5 point Code of Honor or Vow. I like the idea of Code of Honor (Caretaker Spirit) [-5] (which could be sort of like Code of Honor/Hippocratic Oath) but in other cases I'm not so sure.

Other spirits might have a -10 point Sense of Duty and while that could be something relatively "normal" like "Coreligionists" or "Nation" I feel like a lot of spirits are going to have weirder areas of concern. Magic: Plant Spells pegs "Plants" as being worth -10 points, which fits with "Nature" being -15. Maybe "Animals" would also work as a -10 point subset of "Nature"?

Curious what other ideas people have.