Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 AM   #411
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Oh, wow, I did come up with a schedule. Oops. He should probably of come back on the 17th or so. We can say the 23rd though.
If you want to alter the schedule, that's fine by me. Though if you don't that certainly provides a better explanation while Julian would free climb risking a big fall for food.
Quote:
Thanks. You can add 2L.
Noted. (9L 8s)
Quote:

It works well enough... enough to keep him eating it, and Julian probably has experience with less than ideal diets.
Well hopefully it's brown rice at least.
Quote:
oh, its a spot to dump over, not a dump itself. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Well I was 85/15 on whether anything would be left there at all.
Quote:

Give me a climbing roll!
I tie a rope to the railing along the platform and rappel downward.
Quote:
[128] 23-02-17 06:26:03 CET

Climbing

3d6 <= 11
2 + 5 + 6 = 13 ... failure
Well that's not good. Does the rope provide some bonus or mean some test against knot-tying or something? Hopefully there's some bonus on the possible knot-tying roll (time spent?) otherwise that's not very helpful. If it's obvious doom I'll spend luck.

Quote:
[130] 23-02-17 06:32:18 CET
3d6 <= 11
3 + 4 + 6 = 13 ... failure

[129] 23-02-17 06:32:13 CET
3d6 <= 11
4 + 3 + 5 = 12 ... failure
That was a waste of luck.

Last edited by TGLS; 02-16-2023 at 10:34 PM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #412
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, lets go ahead and alter the schedule.

Give me a roll against knot-tying!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:43 PM   #413
TGLS

Quote:
Yeah, lets go ahead and alter the schedule.
OK, so the next council day is the 25th and Julian got back on the 18th (for however long that will matter for). I'd be inclined to make the 5th an additional council day to give the "month" a steady rhythm but this works OK.

Quote:
Give me a roll against knot-tying!
Quote:
[131] 23-02-18 01:28:32 CET
Knot-Tying Default (DX-4)
3d6 <= 8
4 + 3 + 4 = 11 ... failure
Hey, I guess that means that Julian got the first any% run of Lost in Dreams.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:02 AM   #414
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian is climbing under the platforms when he slips... and watches in horror, almost in slow motion, as his knots slip from the branch where he has tied them. He tumbles town towards the clouds, mist filling the air from the thundering giant waterfall.

It seems to take forever to reach the clouds.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #415
TGLS

Quote:
Julian is climbing under the platforms when he slips... and watches in horror, almost in slow motion, as his knots slip from the branch where he has tied them. He tumbles town towards the clouds, mist filling the air from the thundering giant waterfall.
I frantically look around and cry out for something, anything, to grab on to. Tears come as fear overcomes me.

I imagine that fails.
Quote:
It seems to take forever to reach the clouds.
As my voice grows hoarse, and eventually my tears run dry. Resigned, I start counting. Maybe I'll figure out how far it is to the bottom is after all.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #416
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I frantically look around and cry out for something, anything, to grab on to. Tears come as fear overcomes me.

I imagine that fails.

As my voice grows hoarse, and eventually my tears run dry. Resigned, I start counting. Maybe I'll figure out how far it is to the bottom is after all.
Julian counts as he enters the clouds, trying to keep track of how long his fall is. He is quickly soaked, but the weather is as warm as always. Maybe its getting hotter. He can see only mist, and hear only wind and his own counting. He thinks he's at around an hour of counting when he drifts off to sleep, coaxed by the heat and the emptiness of his environment.

He dreams of Aircraft. Large machines painted with camouflage, streaking through the sky at high speed. A flock of missiles races towards the machines, dodging this way and that... several lasers light up from the underside of the aircraft, and the aircraft abruptly peel off, shooting down some missiles, and releasing flares behind themselves. One of them goes into free fall for just two seconds, tumbling end over end. The missiles are less maneuverable than the aircraft, but they return for another pass. Some missiles explode much more messily than others, and much closer to the planes. All the planes are damaged in some way. Julian notices the planes don't seem to have windows. One of them spirals down to the ground. Another turns back, and two go into a steep dive...

He wakes up on a cold flat floor with just a tiny bit of texture. Its a start contrast from his last month or so: he hasn't felt a flat surface for weeks. The texture irritates his skin. His hand is up against another cold flat surface... this time perfectly vertical, another rarity. Is that glass?

When he opens his eyes, he will see a dimly but comfortably lit tank of water, containing some sort of sea life. He thinks. A similar tank is on the other side. The most prominent aquarium life is some sort of thick, six armed starfish.

He hears a voice inside his head "Yo! move! wake-up!"

Old 02-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #417
TGLS

Quote:
Julian counts as he enters the clouds, trying to keep track of how long his fall is. He is quickly soaked, but the weather is as warm as always. Maybe its getting hotter. He can see only mist, and hear only wind and his own counting. He thinks he's at around an hour of counting when he drifts off to sleep, coaxed by the heat and the emptiness of his environment.
"Th-thirty six hu-undred twe, fift, thirteen... zzzzz"

Quote:
He dreams of Aircraft. Large machines painted with camouflage, streaking through the sky at high speed. A flock of missiles races towards the machines, dodging this way and that... several lasers light up from the underside of the aircraft, and the aircraft abruptly peel off, shooting down some missiles, and releasing flares behind themselves. One of them goes into free fall for just two seconds, tumbling end over end. The missiles are less maneuverable than the aircraft, but they return for another pass. Some missiles explode much more messily than others, and much closer to the planes. All the planes are damaged in some way. Julian notices the planes don't seem to have windows. One of them spirals down to the ground. Another turns back, and two go into a steep dive...

He wakes up on a cold flat floor with just a tiny bit of texture. Its a start contrast from his last month or so: he hasn't felt a flat surface for weeks. The texture irritates his skin. His hand is up against another cold flat surface... this time perfectly vertical, another rarity. Is that glass?
What's the texture like? Fine holes, like mesh strainer or a screen door? Wide holes, like a vent? Rough, like concrete or finer sandpaper? Corrugated cardboard? Fine carpet?

How are Julian's arms oriented? Is the one up against the surface behind him, or next to an adjacent wall?

I cough. I am I still alive? Shouldn't I have choked on all that fog? And what's with those camouflaged planes? Are those really real? Why would they need camouflage if they don't have windows?

Quote:
When he opens his eyes, he will see a dimly but comfortably lit tank of water, containing some sort of sea life. He thinks. A similar tank is on the other side. The most prominent aquarium life is some sort of thick, six armed starfish.
I open my eyes. What is this place? An aquarium? A pet shop? And where is it? I don't think this is the bottom...

Quote:
He hears a voice inside his head "Yo! move! wake-up!"
I stand up, carefully, in case anything is broken. I pick up my diary and try to cover up. Someone stole my clothes, again. It must be important if my inner voice is telling me what to do, instead of in--. I suddenly realize, that wasn't my inner voice.

I start fidgeting about, looking for the source of the voice, or an exit.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #418
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
What's the texture like? Fine holes, like mesh strainer or a screen door? Wide holes, like a vent? Rough, like concrete or finer sandpaper? Corrugated cardboard? Fine carpet?
like concrete with large grains of sand painted into it, about 2 per square centimeter.

Quote:
How are Julian's arms oriented? Is the one up against the surface behind him, or next to an adjacent wall?
He's face down, with his hands above his head. The knuckles touch the glass wall.

Quote:
I pick up my diary and try to cover up.
The diary is there, lying near him. There is nothing to cover him up: the place is quite devoid of fabric. Maybe he can use the book?

Quote:
I start fidgeting about, looking for the source of the voice, or an exit.
Julian doesn't see the source of the voice, or a clearly marked exit, but he does see ways to move away from where he is, moving along some sort of twisty hall (in either direction). More tanks of water form the walls, and he thinks the ceiling connects them.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #419
TGLS

Quote:
like concrete with large grains of sand painted into it, about 2 per square centimeter.
I wish they put actual sand down here. That's nice between the toes.
Quote:
The diary is there, lying near him. There is nothing to cover him up: the place is quite devoid of fabric. Maybe he can use the book?
Well, that was a plan.
Quote:
More tanks of water form the walls, and he thinks the ceiling connects them.
Maybe this is like one of those underwater tunnels they have at aquariums... Is the ceiling opaque or just dark?

Quote:
Julian doesn't see the source of the voice, or a clearly marked exit, but he does see ways to move away from where he is, moving along some sort of twisty hall (in either direction).
Well, I don't see much reason to stay around here, so let's briskly head off to the right.

Last edited by TGLS; 02-22-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #420
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The ceiling is a dark grey.

Julian heads off to the right: he passes a bit more aquarium, and then comes to a big door. Peaking through the door reveals a cheerfully light lobby. The Furniture is simplistic but padded, made of smoothly formed metal and plastic. Four groups of people are hanging out. Some have out smart-phones of some sort. Grand doors with signal lights built in dot the lobby.

The people are wearing close-fitting clothing with strong textures and contoured patterns and a few stiff pieces that stick away from their body. Makeup is common on both women and men.

Tags
lost in dreams