Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #61
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS Action 5: Dictionary of Danger

Well hey, I can play this game! Most of mine have been self inflicted, however (Klutz due to neurological damage)...

I've slammed my hands in numerous doors (A is for Architecture, p6) in my life and had my toenails ripped off by one (random hit locations to the... rescue?). I've also gone Falling Down the Stairs on my own numerous times, but was once Wham!'d up stairs and had my kneecap knocked half off. I've also been dropped off a chair-lift on a ski hill. [1]

I've been caught in an industrial solvent spill (C is for Chemicals and W is for Worksite)

I've set myself on fire (H is for Heat) screwing around with a camp fire. In a cross over with K is for Kitchen I've had great steam burns as well.

I've been blown up in a propane furnace pilot lighting incident (O is for Ordinance, Things That Aren't Supposed To Go Boom, p25 - well, in miniature anyways).

I've been hit by a car! (V is for Vehicles, Greatest Hits p36)

I've been bitten by snakes, ripped by cats, and bitten by an emu (Z is for Zoo).

You know, going over this list, I'm beginning to see why my characters tend to end up with effective HT 14+ and All The HP No Really.

[1] I have a fear of heights. These things may all be related.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #62
Phantasm

Not sure... but nails in the shoe happened to me a few times when I was younger.

Still, my favorite part of the book is "Fortunately, there's a table saw...." I'm plotting all sorts of fun stuff.

And my players were pleased to hear they can spend an Action Point (from Impulse Buys) to trigger a Danger. o/`

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #63
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Or they just don't do even 1 point of damage. Lots of things that don't cause meaningful damage are painful enough to plausibly cause shock.
I was thinking 1 point of damage was the shock. (<- Still not used to GURPS rules.)
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #64
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I was thinking 1 point of damage was the shock. (<- Still not used to GURPS rules.)
Shock is the pain penalty to actions for one turn after being hit. It has basically nothing to do with the clinical definition of the term.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #65
Plane

Quote:
Shock is the pain penalty to actions for one turn after being hit. It has basically nothing to do with the clinical definition of the term.
Probably due to how the instant HP restore from First Aid talks about "due to shock"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #66
Dalillama

Quote:
Or they just don't do even 1 point of damage. Lots of things that don't cause meaningful damage are painful enough to plausibly cause shock.
That said, I wouldn't be averse to a ruling that burning damage causes more GURPS shock than an equivalent amount of damage from other sources. I base this on having lost similar amounts of flesh to burns, cuts, and abrasions, and I can say from experience that the burns hurt the worst.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:04 AM   #67
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
That said, I wouldn't be averse to a ruling that burning damage causes more GURPS shock than an equivalent amount of damage from other sources. I base this on having lost similar amounts of flesh to burns, cuts, and abrasions, and I can say from experience that the burns hurt the worst.
Realistically pain and wound severity aren't closely correlated -- most of your pain receptors are in the skin, so wound depth has little effect on pain but large effect on actual importance.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #68
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I base this on having lost similar amounts of flesh to burns, cuts, and abrasions, and I can say from experience that the burns hurt the worst.
3rd degree burns really don't hurt at all. At least not until things start to heal...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:52 AM   #69
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
3rd degree burns really don't hurt at all. At least not until things start to heal...
In my experience getting a third degree burn is more painful than being hit by a van going ~30 mph.

ETA: or cutting off the tip of my thumb, come to think

Last edited by Dalillama; 01-24-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #70
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Yeah, receiving the burn hurts like nothing else, because the pain receptors fire just fine as they're cooked and destroyed. Afterward, there isn't much pain because the receptors aren't there. It's similar to how your arm doesn't hurt much after it's chopped off and sitting on the ground next to you, but I'm sure the "getting chopped off" part isn't much fun.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dictionary of danger