Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #131
Astromancer

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
So, something I thought about, was perhaps trying an "Yrth 2.0" thing, starting with a fresh, perhaps randomly generated worldmap, and redoing the Banestorm setting on it, with a "remix" of nations. Like, perhaps adding an independent Jewish kingdom here, a Chinese Empire there (giving this world's Megalos an equally powerful rival), and maybe a serpent-folk empire down in this southern continent.

I might try this in a new thread.
The idea of an independent Jewish kingdom was a trope in medieval literature, mainly in the Islamic lands and the Greek speaking lands. So it would fit well enough in Yttarria. I'd put it on an island off to the east of Meglos.

A Chinese, or because of the similarities between Samurai and knights, Japanese empire, on a new continent, would be cool too. Although I've long wanted the other Yrth continent to be Africa based, mainly because of the lack of quality role-playing supplements on Africa.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #132
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The idea of an independent Jewish kingdom was a trope in medieval literature, mainly in the Islamic lands and the Greek speaking lands. So it would fit well enough in Yttarria. I'd put it on an island off to the east of Meglos.

A Chinese, or because of the similarities between Samurai and knights, Japanese empire, on a new continent, would be cool too. Although I've long wanted the other Yrth continent to be Africa based, mainly because of the lack of quality role-playing supplements on Africa.
I've also considered expanding Yrth with at least two extra continents, with one being Africa-based, and the other being more Asia-based.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #133
Prince Charon

Quote:
So, something I thought about, was perhaps trying an "Yrth 2.0" thing, starting with a fresh, perhaps randomly generated worldmap, and redoing the Banestorm setting on it, with a "remix" of nations. Like, perhaps adding an independent Jewish kingdom here, a Chinese Empire there (giving this world's Megalos an equally powerful rival), and maybe a serpent-folk empire down in this southern continent.

I might try this in a new thread.
I suggest including a link in this thread when you create that one, please.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #134
Astromancer

In the printed material we are told of outliers in the societies of Yttarria. Isolated communities that might speak German, or worship Vishnu, or the people might be of African origin. Each of these has possibilities.

If a small town of devout Hindus, worshiping Vishnu, existed on Yttarria anywhere outside of Cardiel or Sahud, there would be a constant fear of the inquisition. The struggle of the town to either stay below the radar or negotiate a reasonable level of security for themselves would be constant and dramatic.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #135
Rolando

In megalos there is a city of undeads, Abydos.

I think there is a chance to have anything you want, you just have to make a bit of explaining why they are left alone.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #136
Willy

Quote:
In the printed material we are told of outliers in the societies of Yttarria. Isolated communities that might speak German, or worship Vishnu, or the people might be of African origin. Each of these has possibilities.

If a small town of devout Hindus, worshiping Vishnu, existed on Yttarria anywhere outside of Cardiel or Sahud, there would be a constant fear of the inquisition. The struggle of the town to either stay below the radar or negotiate a reasonable level of security for themselves would be constant and dramatic.
I think it may be possible that this people didnīt even know about the current situation. If Iīm right then there has been a small settlement in russia which was found after the fall of the sowjetunion. This people a dozen or so still believed that there was a war between the red and the white ! That happened when their ancestors went into hiding. In the europian medieval society, the common peasant knew next to nothing about the current events. He knew to which people he had to pay taxes and services but that was that. The local knight knew also only that what wandering bards and merchants told him, most off them wasnīt even literate. If one knew more, it was the village priest, but to a lesser extent. In Yrth there are more people literate, and there is magic communication, but I never have heard about a pony express or wells fargo theire. Considering how big Yrth is and how low the population density the may be unnoticed by world yet. in the Great Forest for example the only problems would be the elves and some of the bigger predators. The Another place is Al-Wazif, because it is not as dogmatic as Al - Haz, and historically muslim rulers could be grudgingly tolerant, if you paid your taxes and ket your head down. A place where they even can public display their believe, even if known to the others, would be on the surface of the dwarfen territoy, some of the kingdom allow to settle there, because they want food from the outside world, and I never read that dwarfs care about human religion to the point that they would take measures, at least as long if you bow to the dwarven king and donīt help invaders.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #137
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
an independent Jewish kingdom here
Keeping in mind, my knowledge is from a trilogy of novels where the Vikings created a book-based religion (resulting in a conflict between the various Christian kingdoms, the various pagan Norse kingdoms, and the independent Norse-of-the-book missionaries; "The Hammer and the Cross").

So I don't know if it's just for the book, or if it really existed. But there was apparently a Jewish kingdom in the mountains between Spain/France/Italy (northeast corner of Spain).
Old 12-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #138
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Although I've long wanted the other Yrth continent to be Africa based, mainly because of the lack of quality role-playing supplements on Africa.
The only one I know of is Nyambe, and I think (???) it's based on West African.

I know more about East African (such as it is, based on the Belasarius novels, re: time-traveling sentient crystals; the kingdom of Aksum).

And I don't know much of anything about the south African (prior to the introduction of crops and livestock that could survive down there).
Old 12-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #139
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
The only one I know of is Nyambe, and I think (???) it's based on West African.
Largely on Great Zimbabwe, from what I remember of playing it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #140
Haseri

Spears of Dawn from Sine Nomine?

I don't know which region it's based on, however.
Haseri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, yrth