Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Munchkin_Grandpa

Default Expansions

What expansions should I get? I currently have the base set and Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe. Currently, I am eyeing Munchkin 3: Clerical Errors and Munchkin 7: Cheat with both Hands.

Also, what is the difference between Munchkin Legends vs. Munchkin Bites vs. Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe?
Munchkin_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Expansions

Of those two, I would get Munchkin 3 first. Munchkin 7 is designed for folks with big collections who want to play several sets or expansions at once; you aren't quite there yet.

You might also enjoy Munchkin 6, which changes the gameplay slightly by adding Dungeon cards with global effects.

As to your second question: Munchkin Legends and Munchkin Bites! are standalone games that can be played without any other sets or expansions. Legends is a reskin of original Munchkin that focuses on ancient and modern myths and, yes, legends. Bites! is horror-themed, with new Races and a new kind of card, Powers. Of those two, I'd suggest Legends first.

Munchkin 2, as you already know, is an expansion that does not stand alone; it's designed to be shuffled into the original Munchkin game.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Munchkin_Grandpa

So if I get both 3 and 6, should I also get 7? And, what do you think about getting A need for Steeds?
Munchkin_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Mister Ed

In the world of Munchkin there are several kinds of products you can get.

Base Games or Core Games, are the ones that come in a bigger box and have 168 cards and a die. These can be played by themselves, played with related expansions, and/or mixed with whatever other Core Games you feel like mixing them with.

Expansions are smaller sets, usually somewhere from 56 to 112 cards (I'm sure there are some exceptions) that are explicitly tied to a specific Core Set by the naming convention of using that Core Set's name plus a number, followed by clever pun title. These are designed for use only if you are also using the matching Core Game.

Boosters are smaller packs of 15-30 cards, that add a little extra something to a game. Some are specifically tied to one Core Game, while some can be used with really any Core Game, but none of them are stand-alone games.

And then there are all manner of accessories which enhance the play experience, add fun rules, and often come with a card or two (or more) to add in as well.

Munchkin Legends and Munchkin Bites are examples of Core Games, stand-alone games that CAN be mixed in with other Munchkin Core Games if you want, but don't have to be.

Munchkin 2 is an expansion, which cannot be played by itself, and should, as a general rule, only be mixed in with the base game for which it was designed (though you could ALSO mix in other base games if you chose).

EDIT: I knew I took way too long typing this. Ah well, Andrew's answer is better, shorter, and more official. :-)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin_Grandpa View Post
So if I get both 3 and 6, should I also get 7? And, what do you think about getting A need for Steeds?
You can get Munchkin 7 whenever you want, but I think waiting until you have at least Munchkin 3 is smart. Munchkin 7 works better when it's occasional spice, not a dominant flavor.

Munchkin 4 adds Steeds, which is a significant new type of card. If your crew is still fairly new at Munchkin, I'd wait another few games before mixing it in.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, expansion, expansions