Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
Kage2020

Default Re: One social trait, multiple society?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
So that you can tell your class, now remembered do not copy the actions of Drs. Jones and Croft ?
Or at least understand that they are cinematic approaches with some ethical problems. ;)
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #32
Mateus

MY solution for this is quitte simple. Lets look in Social Regard +1. It cost 5 points. But I only charge this 5 points if the advantage will be reconinized in at lesat almost all GAME WORLD. In my setting an exemple of it is Social Regard: Priest because every culture in my setting respect priests. But for a trait that is not universal I give a discont based on the accebility (I call it Reach) table on Powers. If the trait is valid in only one region of the world is a -35% if it is valid on 2 its -40% if I remeber right and it scales +- in this way.

Mateus
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post

We have not yet announced a release date for Social Engineering. We are working on it very fervently, however, as pretty much everyone who's seen it agrees that this book needs to come out now. :)
That is always a good sign :)

Quote:

Social Engineering does all that, but for interpersonal and mass media interaction. "I'll make an approachability roll to pick out a mark. They're all tight-knit? Damn. Okay, I'll use Cutting Out to isolate one. Success! Awesome. Okay, I'll use Fast-Talk with subtlety at -3 to convince her that I'm trustworthy enough that she should vouch for me. That's Hinting (Fast-Talk), which I know at Fast-Talk+3 so no penalty."
So it has Techniques then :) Good I just liked that idea and felt it fit.
Though can see how many techniques would be a problem but long as most default it just adds extra modifiers and guidelines on when to use different styles. Without getting too point heavy. (skill bloat)
Hmm Any Cinematic options or things like "Trained by Taliesin" or something?

Quote:
Amen. Bill did a great job of absorbing everything the Basic Set had to say about social rules before sitting down to write. A large part of Social Engineering is just presenting some details and guidelines for using those existing rules. Another large part is simply expanding on them, often just by adding some new modifiers or advice. There are very few places where Social Engineering recommends "optional rule"-type changes to what the Basic Set says, and in all cases, such changes appeal to common sense and aren't particularly drastic.

Heck, it wouldn't be unfair to sum up Social Engineering as, "GURPS has wonderful rules for social interaction -- let's explore how to best use them, shall we?"
So its like GURPS Powers then :)
Good and what I had hoped for. I was hoping to get in the playtest but alas didn't make the cut and been waiting for some changes to one of my worlds for this to come out.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #34
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
One thing that surprised me in Social Engineering, is how many of the pieces were already in the basic set, almost overlooked by all. Part of the genius of SE is making them all fit together.
I learned a huge amount about the Basic Set by writing it, as I looked for every possible precedent for the mechanics of social encounters. A big part of that was looking at cases where there were two or more rules that seemed applicable to the same task, and figuring out the boundary conditions for when you would use one and when the other.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
MY solution for this is quitte simple. Lets look in Social Regard +1. It cost 5 points. But I only charge this 5 points if the advantage will be reconinized in at lesat almost all GAME WORLD. In my setting an exemple of it is Social Regard: Priest because every culture in my setting respect priests. But for a trait that is not universal I give a discont based on the accebility (I call it Reach) table on Powers. If the trait is valid in only one region of the world is a -35% if it is valid on 2 its -40% if I remeber right and it scales +- in this way.
That's a possible treatment. But I think it makes rather more sense to port over the Reputation modifiers for "size of population affected." Or just bite the bullet and say "a favorable or unfavorable modifier that has size of population affected and frequence of recognition modifiers is a Reputation." If you have Social Regard (Feared) only with orcs, you take, say, Reputation +2 (dangerous, bearer of Orcrist; orcs, large group; always recognized) [5].

Bill Stoddard
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
Kage2020

And the discussion just makes me want the product more. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #37
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I learned a huge amount about the Basic Set by writing it, as I looked for every possible precedent for the mechanics of social encounters. A big part of that was looking at cases where there were two or more rules that seemed applicable to the same task, and figuring out the boundary conditions for when you would use one and when the other.

Bill Stoddard
I learned a lot about the basic set playtesting SE, too. Hell, one thing that I found neat, were the rules for Specious Intimidation. I tell you, there were there the whole time (unless there was a reality quake) and I never noticed them.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I learned a lot about the basic set playtesting SE, too. Hell, one thing that I found neat, were the rules for Specious Intimidation. I tell you, there were there the whole time (unless there was a reality quake) and I never noticed them.
If you're calling GURPS Social Engineering a reality shard, the ministry can neither confirm nor deny that suggestion. . . .

Bill Stoddard
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #39
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

In general, everybody pays for the social traits that apply at home. How well these translate elsewhere is beyond character control and well into the realm of international relations. Are the relevant marquises, wardens, and/or generals behaving, or are they harrassing the other guys? Have your country's emissaries and diplomats secured treaty recognition of your titles? Are the borders permeable enough that citizens of the two lands are aware of each other's standards of regard and respect . . . and of derision? Such matters fall into the realm of changing fortunes, and aren't easily priced. Even day to day, you may find your social clout changing when you're away from home.

I only adjust price when a particular land is so distant and obscure, or hated, that its titles and honors are genuinely useless outside its borders. In cases like that, I go with Courtesy Title for 20% of the actual cost of the advantage (see Power-Ups 2, p. 18) if the title is acknowledged as non-fictional, even if it isn't terribly respected . . . 0 points if the campaign will never return to where the title matters . . . or call it a 0-point feature if the honor might justify real social clout if the campaign ever returns home, but is kidnapping- or abuse-bait right now. In all other cases, I assume polite (not the same as "good") relations, and charge full price.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social engineering, traits