Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Ragitsu
Banned

Default NPC random statistics roll chart?

Does anyone here have a random statistic roll chart for NPCs? One part would have Sexuality, the other might have Political Affiliation, Theological/Religious belief, Income Level, and so forth. It probably uses a d6, but other die types are fine as well.

This would be most helpful for Advantages, Disadvantages, skills that affect NPCs, and, aren't usually thought of ahead of time by most GMs (at least for minor NPCs that is).
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: NPC random statistics roll chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Does anyone here have a random statistic roll chart for NPCs? One part would have Sexuality, the other might have Political Affiliation, Theological/Religious belief, Income Level, and so forth. It probably uses a d6, but other die types are fine as well.

This would be most helpful for Advantages, Disadvantages, skills that affect NPCs, and, aren't usually thought of ahead of time by most GMs (at least for minor NPCs that is).
There used to that kind of chart in 3rd edition GURPS. The 4/e does not have an equivalent page or two .
When I ran my GURPSD: Traveller casmpaign I concocted my own dice roll chart for that sort of ting.

- Ed
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
tanniynim

When I'm running a game, I either make these things up as I go, or make a custom roll grid for that game.

So, unfortunately, my suggestion is "make one."
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Ragitsu
Banned

I don't like to always choose on the spot, because that runs the possibility of unfairly biasing certain PC benefits. Having a random list to pull traits from makes me feel better.

Exceptions are another matter :-).
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Bruno

Usually these things are campaign specific, and usually region specific within a campaign.

For a town, you can probably get away with one table. For a large city, you should have one per district or region or whatever (Watts vs Beverly Hills vs Chinatown - quite different ethnic layout) but even if you have a generic "City" table, it should be more cosmopolitan than a generic "Country" table, and both should be different from Europe to Africa to Asia.

Never mind Fantasy or Sci Fi games, where you might have Elves in L.A., or Cardassians on the space station (or in L.A.).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Dwarf99

Quote:
I don't like to always choose on the spot, because that runs the possibility of unfairly biasing certain PC benefits. Having a random list to pull traits from makes me feel better.

Exceptions are another matter :-).
um... there's something unfair about each character optimizing for different roles???
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Gigermann

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it might help. It will require some "interpretation" to use. See this post.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
um... there's something unfair about each character optimizing for different roles???
Not necessarily unfair but it's cool and realistic that when PCs face a group of enemy thugs, they don't end up all with the same ST, DX, IQ and HT.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
No, but there IS something unfair about the GM knowing that the party is poorly set up to deal with wizards, and "randomly" picking to give magery to encountered NPCs 50% of the time in a game world where he declared that Magery is a 1/100 thing.

Using a somewhat combat skewed example, but substitute any Intolerance or Social Stigma or Enemy or whatever on the players part that makes running into one kind of person unexpectedly often a potential problem.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Fish

Quote:
Does anyone here have a random statistic roll chart for NPCs?
Yes, I did create a random statistic chart for NPCs. It covers ethnicity, education, income, and occupation, based on the relevant year-2000 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the United States.

It doesn't cover sex or sexual preference, politics, or any Advantages or Disadvantages.

I've been thinking of trying to do a similar thing for America in the 1950s, America in the 1920s, England in the 1880s, America in the 1860s, and so forth, but there's not much hard data to go on.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
npcs