Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #11
KarlKost

Default Re: Inventions, Alchemy and Metratronics

The idea was turning Alchemy into a kind of "Alternate Magery"... Which I believe this method is fully capable of, including turning it into a very versatile source of magic tricks. Maybe even allowing for something like "Alchemist" as a viable "class" for Dungeon Fantasy games.

Now that I think, I believe that the wilcard skill Alchemy! could have the cost changed to 10CP/level, matching Magery, the wildcard technique Fast Brew! turned into a 30 CP advantage that reduce brewing time from 12 hrs per 1 CP to 1 hour, Batching! per 3 points/lvl allow brewing 1 additional elixir per level and that's it. Or, instead of Fast Brew!, allow for Quick Gadgeteer (at least normal Gadgeteer is always recommended) and tadam! The magic happens, get ready to have an Alchemist guild at all your DF towns competing with (and constantly grumping about) the Mages Guild to provide magic resources of all kinds.

PS: if you wonder how is it possible, using the invention rules for Alchemy (I placed them all on my tables for quick reference) to even invent a potion with a -33 Default... Yes, probably it's not possible (for mere mortals at least). And that's fine, I cant say that there would be many GMs around being all too happy about Super Strenght +10 potions lying around.

On the other hand thou, for those that might feel so inclined, it's perhaps possible to use an IQ +10 potion... Combined with a Visualization potion... You know... Just a thought.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, inventions, metatronics